Broke another MT-82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Left the house to head down to Santa Monica a couple hours ago. Drove away slowly and with no load on the gearbox, going 20-25mph, I could not get it into 3rd gear. Finally forced it into gear and immediately heard a whining noise that got louder with speed. Also heard what sounded like something bouncing around inside the case.

Turned around and went home in 2nd, not far of a drive. I might limp it to work on Monday instead of having it towed. At least now my 7year 125K mile ESP Premium is in full effect, so I get a rental car while it sits on the lot.

bdcardinal, I an going to have to have you keep me informed on the Eco Mustang.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
According to a woman from Ford I heard on the radio, Ford gets 90% of their NA profits from the F150; she indicated NO WAY they were going to fumble this.
I posted,,,Would you think the lady would say we cut corners, designed any extra value from every part we could and used China sourced parts to maximize the profits?

I have had some people suggest I get a 2015 Mustang. Not interested because A. I don't like how they look in person, and 2. they still use the MT82. Supposedly the GT350 will use the Tremec that Cadillac is using in the ATS-V, so that might be a possibility.

Originally Posted By: asand1
How hard could it be to swap in a different transmission? Maybe need an aftermarket bell housing?

The sad part is that a Tremec TR-6060 is a direct install. They used it in the GT-500 so there are off the shelf parts to make it happen. The bellhousing pattern is the same, as the TR-6060 was used on the Falcons with the BOSS 315 which is a supercharged Coyote engine.

However the car is still under warranty, and I am still making payments on it, so spending ~$3k out of pocket to fix what should have been factory is not something I want to swallow at the moment.

Originally Posted By: asand1
How hard could it be to swap in a different transmission? Maybe need an aftermarket bell housing?

Not hard, but this is a 2014. Under warranty, and on its second transmission. That is unacceptable. Even more so considering this is a RWD manual. I mean really, how do they f that up?

The French made 5-speed auto in my 2002 Ford shifts beautifully with 161K on it. How in 2014 are they screwing up a RWD manual? Oh wait...country of origin.

So just to be entertaining, I made a post about this on my Facebook page. Among my "friends" are the general manager, business manager, and multiple sales managers at my dealer. Also numerous wholesale customers. I am willing to bet, this will get some attention:

"Let's put it this way, I have owned nothing but Ford products. My Volvo was built under Ford's Premier Auto Group division that included Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover. My mom has owned nothing but Ford products. My grandfather owned nothing but Ford products his entire life. I proudly work for a Ford dealer, but I will never buy a Ford product again if the quality is not improved. Making a payment every month a car that I cannot trust to get me to Santa Monica without breaking down is unacceptable."

Is part of the problem having to make a payment every month?
Perhaps if you bought a car outright, paying cash in full, then you would either:
A: have bought something older, like a 10 GT with a 5sp tremec
B: have bought something cheaper, freeing up the money to do repairs
Or
C: carry on making payments on a newer vehicle, but at least have the good sense to specify a long standing and durable gearbox that is a known quantity.

Simple really.

I have no problem making the payments. My issue is that Ford fitted a sub-standard gearbox in the car that is the flagship for the company. Lets face it, a RWD manual gearbox is not something that hard to build reliably. They went cheap and it is biting them in the rear. This will be around $7,000 in warranty repairs on my car related to just the gearbox. They have now officially lost money on my car. As a shareholder in Ford Motor Company I am livid that a company I have invested in is making such poor decisions.

I am not out anything as far as money, all the repairs are under warranty and will continue to be for 7 years. I had no interest in a -10 Mustang because I did not want to take a 120hp loss over what I was getting.

FWIW the engine has made a tapping noise since day 1. It is a failure in the exhaust valve guides that Ford refuses to acknowledge is an issue, even though we have replace 6 Coyote engines just at my dealership for that very issue.

I didn't mean you couldn't afford to make the payments, only that it's a kick in the teeth that you are paying for something that doesn't work properly, that you don't like and that can't when put its extra 120hp to the ground because the gearbox doesn't work.
And there are engine problems that they won't eve acknowledge?
I wouldn't even consider making payments on a car, let alone one with various known problems that the seller isn't willing to fix.
To top it all off your share value is going down at the same time??

Tell me the part of the story I seem to have missed..you know, the part of the story where you want to keep driving the car and working for the company.
It seems to me like you're being screwed over.

Put 20,000 smooth and trouble free mile on my 2012 mustang V6PP. I was under the impression a lot of mt82 issues were addressed by the end of july 2011 mfg dates (2012MY)?

A terrible story, and one I keep hearing from others also.

Nothing makes you feel sicker than a new car with serious issues. This means the car is now being beat up by dealer techs with all the work being done to it.

It also makes it hard to "trust" the car's reliability. My heart goes out to all the poor Stang owners affected...

Perhaps this unit, installed Jul/Aug '14 (?), was missing other parts besides the input shaft seal.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3477874/1

I assume the service guy just installed a seal back then.
If you get a reman unit this time then it's going to have a more thorough going-over for missing or poorly installed parts than the Jul/Aug one did.

It's a made in China transmission, but it's American labor in Jul/Aug, or lack thereof (there's nobody in China that's making the call on a trans swap, a disassembly and inspection, or pop in a seal and it's good), that is resulting in your comeback.

I don't think you had confidence in this unit anyway, from Sep 8:
" Frankly I don't see this trans lasting very long. It was grinding worse than the one it replaced from day 1."
So, if it was mine, the quicker it broke, the quicker I could get a different unit in there, that may have all the parts in the correct order and alignment.

Oh, and if you almost got into (or worried about) an accident from the failure, file a NTSB complaint. I've never posted a "complain to the gov't" message before, but the only gov't recall is for safety, and if you're worried about the MT82 longevity, then that's the only avenue other than Ford that you have.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
When can you lemon law the car?

I need to research it some. The SYNC never worked, total junk setup. The engine makes a very obvious tapping noise that is "normal", something is going on in the rear suspension too.

It has come to the point that I just don't want the car anymore. I have owned nothing but Ford products my whole life, Volvo was part of Ford when I bought mine, but there is nothing they make currently I am interested in.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
When can you lemon law the car?

I need to research it some. The SYNC never worked, total junk setup. The engine makes a very obvious tapping noise that is "normal", something is going on in the rear suspension too.

It has come to the point that I just don't want the car anymore. I have owned nothing but Ford products my whole life, Volvo was part of Ford when I bought mine, but there is nothing they make currently I am interested in.

Wow, that is the definitive indictment. Well deserved too.

I known for a few years now that Ford is blowing off major issues with many models and of course it is the customer that is suffering. They should be ashamed, but unfortunately the greed factor has completely clouded their vision. Their quality has
plummeted in recent years and all they want to do is squeeze the last dime of profit out of the unsuspecting consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back