Ammunition Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I did my first loads today for my .338LM. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, it is the initial setup and orientation with the equipment that is time consuming.
Yeah it costs only $3,59 per shot!!!
laugh.gif

Way less than that when doing the reloading thankfully. Though my last case of boxed ammo made it ~$3.20/shot.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Well, guys, my mind is made up. I'm going with a progressive reloader. Not going to waste my time on a single-stage when it seems that everyone who starts out single-stage eventually goes progressive anyway. I just watched a Hickok45 video and he also confirmed this...

So, now that I've decided that, should I just buy a Dillon and be done with it??

The Hornady looks nice but I have no experience with it. Everyone I'm involved with has the Dillon and loves it, they load lots of ammo. If I were to start all over again knowing how much ammo I've loaded over the years Dillon would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I did my first loads today for my .338LM. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, it is the initial setup and orientation with the equipment that is time consuming.
Yeah it costs only $3,59 per shot!!!
laugh.gif

Way less than that when doing the reloading thankfully. Though my last case of boxed ammo made it ~$3.20/shot.

You will save each time you reload up to the point of the brass requiring replacement. Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about. I varmint hunt (there are usually 4 of us) and we shoot quite a bit. It would not be unusual to shoot more than 1000 rounds in a hunt.

Provided my math is correct (and these are November 2014 prices--this is for .223 ammo):

$805 = 1000 rounds of factory ammo ($15.66 x 50 = $783 + $22 shipping) [Hornady Varmint Express with 55gr Hornady V-Max bullets] (Cheaper than Dirt)
$18.79 (Midway) per 20 round box
$21.29 (Cabela's) per 20 round box
$15.66 (Cheaper than dirt) per 20 round box
$17.95 (Ammunition to go) per 20 round box
$22.99 (Gander Mountain) per 20 round box
$19.33 (AVERAGE) per 20 round box, but I am using the cheapest number of $15.66 per box

$87 = 1000 rounds of once fired brass (free shipping) [Lake City; cleaned, de-primed, and swaged] (Brass Bombers)
$121 = 4# powder ($81 +$40 shipping/hazmat)[Accurate 2200] (Powder Valley); 7000 grains in a pound and each cartridge takes about 24 grains (max load). 7000/24 = 291 rounds per pound, so just over 3.5# of powder needed.
$26.50 = 1000 CCI small rifle primers (Shipping included with powder) (Powder Valley)
$158 = 1000 55 grain bullets ($148 + $10 shipping) [Hornady V-Max] (MidSouth Shooters)
$393 = TOTAL COST

$306 = NEXT/SUBSEQUENT RELOAD (Typically no brass is needed; but all cases should be checked and verified)

Cost savings over factory ammo:
$412 = 1st loading ($805-$393)
$499 = 2nd loading ($805-$306)

In two loadings versus purchasing factory Hornady ammunition, I will have paid for a Dillon RL550B with all of the bells and whistles and plenty of "gadgets" to go along with it. This is not to mention the fact that I can make more accurate ammunition than I will ever experience with factory ammo simply because I can custom tailor the load and OAL to each rifle. Of course, one could argue this does not take my time into account and while that is true, this is all part of the hobby of reloading. One does not start reloading to account for one's time. Obviously, YMMV, but this is typical of the savings that I have seen through the years. Once the equipment is paid for via savings, then the savings are real and easily quantified.

OP - If you are truly serious about getting into reloading and see this as a long term hobby, I would go for the Dillon; nothing else comes close to the quality and durability for the money and their warranty is TRULY no bull! You can always buy the BL550 and add the components needed to make it into an RL550B over a period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a progressive, yes get a Dillon. Don't waste $$$ with anything else when it comes to a progressive reloader.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Well, guys, my mind is made up. I'm going with a progressive reloader. Not going to waste my time on a single-stage when it seems that everyone who starts out single-stage eventually goes progressive anyway. I just watched a Hickok45 video and he also confirmed this...

So, now that I've decided that, should I just buy a Dillon and be done with it??

Dillon customer support is also great.
I had a carbide insert come out of a die and they replaced the die for free.
I bought a first generation Terminator scale that was missing the calibration weight and the sent me another one for free.

Last edited:
Hornady's press and customer service is just as good as Dillon.

The Ultimate Reloader site has videos of all the major brands watch them and compare.

Since you want to load 4-5 calibers I'd strongly advise looking at the cost/time/complication of a caliber change with primer size change.

I'd also advise starting with the straightwall pistol cartridges, the necked cases are another level of complication.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Hornady's press and customer service is just as good as Dillon.

Hornady customer service is definitely on par with Dillon, nearly all of my dies are Hornady and they have repaired them every time something has gone wrong (not that it is so many times). My first progressive press was a Hornady Projector and I have a friend that has a "Lock and Load" I could not say that Hornady is just as good as Dillon, but it is a decent press. He has had trouble with it remaining "in time" with the indexing even after sending it back to Hornady for repair. IMHO Dillon is #1 and Hornady is a close #2, but then again, it just depends on what you like and need.

I have no problems changing primer sizes on my Dillon and it usually takes less than 5 minutes to do so. Because Dillon uses tool heads, a caliber change is done in less than 5 minutes as well--two pins and change the shell plate. Each press has its own set of advantages/disadvantages, one must look at both and decide which is the best fit. After progressing through RCBS and Hornady to a Dillon, that choice is an easy one for me. The OP will have to decide which is best for his situation/need.

Well, from hearing y'all's opinions, and others, I'm pretty much sold on a Dillon.

Now I just need to sit down at the computer and itemize everything I'll need.

I made a mount from angle iron the size that fit the base of press [4 or 5] inches and clamp that in a 6 inch vice so it is easy to remove when you want to put it away.

I load on a single-stage Lee Classic Cast press, and have no experience on progressives, so I'll withhold my opinions on equipment.

Good choice starting out on 9mm, 10mm, .45, and .357... all these are straight-wall cases that are fairly easy to load.

In general, stick to the book data and work up loads from minimum. Shoot only reloads using brass shot from your own gun, until you learn the ins and outs of reloading. READ A RELOADING MANUAL before you ever load your first cartridge. The Lyman manual is pretty good, and the Hornady manual is OK too. Buy both of those.

I don't have any experience loading 9mm.

.45: Not a very picky cartridge to re-load, in my experience. Good cartridge to start with, definitely start with .45 over .357 and 10mm. Weed out the cases with small primer pockets, only use cases with large primer pockets. I like powders such as HP-38/W231 and Win. AutoComp - especially with Federal primers. Bullets are the critical piece in some guns (some only like FMJ, some dislike hornady XTP/HAP-profile bullets). Start with FMJ.

.357: Can be picky with some powders, so be careful. I like Alliant 2400.

10mm: If loading for a Glock, I highly recommend using an aftermarket barrel. If loading for a Colt, don't re-load. Use Starline or Winchester brass if you can get it. Avoid re-loading Armscor brass, but if you must, only re-load it once. Remington brass is thin but consistent, just don't load it too hot. Don't mix Remington brass with Nosler bullets. Hodgdon Longshot powder works well in 10mm. I prefer Winchester primers in this cartridge.

I just got an early Christmas present from my wife:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-AP

Haven't had time to set it up or anything, but am pretty excited to try it out! I'll be setting it up to load for the .338LM and my buddy Jon can use our other gear (most of which was graciously donated to us by a member here) for his .300WM.

I have been looking at the Dillon Blue press mailing and lets say the 550 B costs $500.00 Delivered. I had mine since 1991 That is 23 years or rounded up $22.00 per year or $1.84 per month for the basic 550B setup. That seems like quite a deal. When I bought mine it was around
$300 .00 for the press . About 2 months ago I sent the press in for a rebuilt it returned better than new. And last night I finished a loading binge of 4,000 9mm, 500 40 S@W, 100 223, 2000 45 ACP. Done loading for a while. I need powder and primers and some more lead!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back