Sauerkraut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a holy resurrection thread, using the search function before I post my latest...and this popped up.

I have tried canned [censored] every so often, but I really didn't like it...kept trying to see if my tastes changed, and in the States, had a hotdog that really worked with it, mustard, and a little ketchup.

Last Sunday, was in the supermarket, and some 1L preserving jars were there and looking very pretty...some cabbage.

I've got a mason jar with a great block of Himalayan rock salt (bought from the local farrier) in it making a super saturated brine. We don't use salt per se, a little brine.

Chopped and bashed a cabbage, dropped it in my new preserving jar, and 6 tsp of brine, added as the jar got full. Bottled water to cover, and put in a warm, out of sun area...Fermentation was obvious, but not drastic, and on day three, I refrigerated, and added to Wed/Thurs lunch salad.

Today (Friday), I took a bread roll, with butter, ham and wholegrain mustard, and a little jar of my [censored].

Assembled it at a very late lunch, and it was absolutely gorgeous...acidity, crunch, a little sweet/salt.

I think I'm hooked, it was very uncanned, and very fresh tasting.

nice. i ususally just get the refrigerated stuff in the bag when i want to cook with it. much better than canned! obviously homemade will be better if done correctly

I get the Franks Sweetened Bavarian [censored] in a can. We always had [censored] and polish sausage at home back in the day.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Last Sunday, was in the supermarket, and some 1L preserving jars were there and looking very pretty...some cabbage.

I've got a mason jar with a great block of Himalayan rock salt (bought from the local farrier) in it making a super saturated brine. We don't use salt per se, a little brine.

Chopped and bashed a cabbage, dropped it in my new preserving jar, and 6 tsp of brine, added as the jar got full. Bottled water to cover, and put in a warm, out of sun area...Fermentation was obvious, but not drastic, and on day three, I refrigerated, and added to Wed/Thurs lunch salad.

Today (Friday), I took a bread roll, with butter, ham and wholegrain mustard, and a little jar of my [censored].

Assembled it at a very late lunch, and it was absolutely gorgeous...acidity, crunch, a little sweet/salt.

I think I'm hooked, it was very uncanned, and very fresh tasting.

You probably used way too much salt. Actually I use one to two table spoons of salt per large cabbabe head. My understanding is that salt is not really needed. I am not going there. What you did is interesting. I have tried to lesson the work by using water instead of working the [censored] till it produced its own water. Working it breaks it down and allows it to ferment at a lower temperature.

I don't know how much salt is in the brine. Maybe its not that much.I always freeze my [censored] instead of canning it. You could probably freeze some batches to use later.

Saturated brine solution is about 25% salt, and obviously being a liquid, there's no heaping teaspoons...6 of them is really only 1.5 level teaspoons of salt, or half a tablespoon.

I'm enjoying making and consuming it...last batch was red cabbage, and a bit sharper.

Have some little black chillies growing to go in the next batch.

Pickled cabbage in any form is fantastic. I love kimchi. It just can't be hot enough. I even eat kimichi with curry wurst, bockwurst and bratwurst. If I were German, I'd probably drink double bock beer with every meal, which would always consists of wurst with [censored] and fries with mayo every day. My lederhosen would be popping at their seams from gas just like my aortic valve would explode from atherosclerosis.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: jg1
" Bubbies" is the brand most often used in my home.

take care.

I may just give it a try. My wife's maiden name is Bubb. Interestingly her dad's father owned a bar in Williamsport Pa. and they made (drum roll) sauerkraut which was sold in the bar.

No relation probably but the stuff is sold at Giant Markets. I'll check the stuff out.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Well today I made 2 batches. Used a 1 gallon crock and a 1 quart Mason Jar. I always mash the stuff till I get enough liquid. Thise time I just packed it down and aded brine and put a clean cloth on the top and fill it up with brine.

I hope the quart stuff works it took less than 1/2 hour to make. Going forward I will cut the salt way back. Its not necesary to ferment. I think it helps preserve it if you can it after its done fermenting. But I am not canning any.

I will let it ferment 1 month. I have found that is the minimum time at around 70 F.

1_IMG_2714.JPG

1_IMG_2713.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back