Good "starter" double edged razor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys- my wife and I are looking to get away from the revolving door of high priced razor refills. The running joke is that we need to take out a loan, refinance or take out a second mortgage to buy some more refills for our Gillette Fusion razor. While it does a good job, we're looking for ways to trim (pun intended) our expenditures. After having read a few threads on the topic, which picked my interest (and searched, then re-read them), I've arrived with a couple of questions that I didn't see answered.

First- I didn't realize that different razors offered different types of shaves. After looking at sales literature, one stated:
Quote:
It is is average on the aggressiveness scale and, therefore, a continual first choice for new wet shavers. At the same time, it's not too mild so experienced classic shaving fans love it as well.

Second- This will be a communal razor. Both my wife and I will be using it. Do any of you guys share with your significant others?

What is your input on this subject? What razor suited you best when you first started using one? Is that razor still doing a satisfactory job, or have your tastes/reasons changed? For those that share, are there any complaints/thoughts from your fairer halves? Are there other attributes that they look for?

Even though the initial purchase will be more expensive than a quality replaceable cartridge style razor, we look to see savings in the future with lower cost blades. We also look forward to a quality product made in a first world nation. So far, from the limited reading I've done, the Merkur 34c may just fit the bill- it's just that there are so many offerings.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to reading it!

Communal razor? Yuck.! Do you two share a toothbrush?
Kidding,

I've been using the basic Gillette dual blade blue razor. The other brands especially the generics feel rough as if they are get clogged up with hair.

Buy once, cry once. Save some money and get a Merkur 37C HD Slant Bar and the 100ct. blade package from West Coast Shaving. Don't let the reviews scare you. If you ever shaved your face with any kind of blade, you'll be fine. The blades are what you want to experiment with, not the expensive razors.

You'll love shaving your face with the slant bar. Your wife will bleed out and die if she tries shaving her legs and underarms with it.

I would NEVER let my wife shave with my stuff; that's just nasty. Your wife should keep using the Fusion. The blades will last twice as long without you using it and it will take you forever to go through the sample pack of blades.

I've shaved with safety razors for most of my shaving life.

Just look for coupons for razors like what you've been using. They're always in the newspaper and those coupon flyers that come in the mail. Places like Walgreens seem to have them on sale frequently, or have in-store coupons for them. We have a a whole bunch of name brand razors (Bic, Gillette, Schick) that we've got for next to nothing or even completely free just by using a manufacturers coupon on top of a sale price or store coupon.

Many years safety razor user....+1 on Merkur, I spent $25 I think on the razor a year or so ago. Blades are cheap cheap (have bought 5 packs for under $2, Wilkinson Sword) and they last a long time; my 5 pack just ran out after a year.

Disadvantage is you can't travel by air with the blades (empty razor ok). Otherwise I wouldn't shave with anything else now.

Your wife might not like the feel of it, but definitely get two rather than share.

The Dollar Shave Club has worked well for me. The basic shave kit gives you 5 razors per month for $3. A free handle is sent to you when you sign up. You can start and stop whenever you want; there is no contract with this service.

Google dollarshaveclub.com. I can't seem to get a working link up on here.

Last edited:
I have both a Merkur long handle and an Edwin Jagger DE-89. Both produce great non aggressive shaves.

If you still want to use a modern cartridge style razor, you can find great deals on Ebay. In addition, Dorco (dollar shave club) has good deals on cartridge multi blade razors and multi blade disposables.

If you want to try a double edge razor cheaply, check these out; highly regarded Merkur knock off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lord-FRESH-Premi...=item3a964a8cc4

Have a collection of over a hundred double edged razors, all the way from Gillett Fat Boys to the new made ones, off hand can't remember the name.

Shaver I use daily?????
The $10 Lord, with Russian blades suits me the best.

I bought a Gillette Super Speed off of eBay for about $25. It doesn't just look old, it really is old. Works great depending on the blades I use. It seems that there is no DE blade that works for everyone. I used some Dorco's which were horrible for me. Gave the rest of the pack to a friend to try out. He loved them. Wilkinson Sword seem to work best for me.

Gillette Good News Pivot Plus. Cheap but the best I have ever used. Often they'll include 1 free upgraded razor, I never like them and give those to the wife.

Find a Gillette Super Speed or Schick Krona. Both are fairly mild, and when paired with a good blade will give excellent shaving results.

In my opinion, the blade/razor combination is extremely important and it takes some experimentation to find a combination that works best for you. Personna blades work well for me in both those razors, but don't do well (for me) in a Gillette Red Tip. I found that Wilkinson Sword blades do better in the Red Tip for me. You can experiment with some of the available sample packs to see what works best for you. Also keep in mind that shaving cream or shaving soap can also make a difference-again, experiment and see what works best for your beard.

Also keep an eye on the handle-razors with a slick chrome handle can be difficult to hold when wet. Look for a handle that has good grip and won't slip when wet. In a box of stuff that I purchased at auction a couple months ago were a couple of razors, one had a polished chrome handle and the other had a spiral design in the handle. Both were difficult to hold, and while I'm sure they were high end razors, quite frankly were inferior to my plain old Schick or Gillette. I quickly sold both of them on Ebay after using them a couple times-one was a Jagger (I don't remember the model) and the other was a Parker.

I have 4 razors that I use on a regular basis-a Gillette Super Speed, a Gillette Red Tip, and 2 Schick Kronas.

Not seeing the value of a communal razor, but if its a bonding measure between you and the Mrs's?

There's always DollarShaveClub? S.O.P form factor shaving, at sane prices.

I bought a DE razor off Ebay a few months back and really love it for less than $10 including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUBLE-EDGE-SAFE...=item2346103181

Comes with blades and is worth the money just to try it out. I figured if I didn't like it I would not be out much. There is a big difference in the blades. I prefer super sharp while some people prefer a little less sharp.

I bought a low cost straight razor as well but it is not as good. Not quite sharp enough for me and the strap for sharpening helps but not quite good enough yet.

DE shaving is definitely the way to go. Back a couple years ago I happened upon a vintage Gillette that dates between 1921-1928. It's old and tarnished, but works flawlessly and I use it still every day. I doubt you find one of those still around. My recommendation isn't about the razor itself, but the blades. There are several brands out there an it may take some time to find the right cut. I would get a couple different packs of blades along with your razor.

I highly recommend the Edwin Jagger DE89 as a starter. It is not super aggressive and is very forgiving. IMHO, the EJ razors have better quality than the Merkur, but that is very subjective.

You should be able to buy a 100 pack of blades in the 10 to 15 dollar range. My preference is Feather blades which are priced on the higher end of the scale. I have a thick beard and find Feathers work best for me, but many others get excellent results with the cheaper blades.

+1 on the EJ 89. I use the Personna med lab blade, but it's not hard to find a good one you particularly like.

I also recommend an account at West Coast Shaving. Lots of products and lots of good info.

I'm working up to a straight razor.I was given a really old one. You have to buy various razors to see what you like. I haven't found any one blade to be better. I just change it every week.Sharp is the key. Oh, i use Dr. Bronners soap as a lube for shaving.
Tell the wife to get her own razor.

Since I grew a goatee I only use about one Gillette Fusion blade a year. I've never used a single blade razor, but I have a bad feeling I would look like I've been in a blade fight LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back