Transmission service for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never owned an Auto transmission verhicle before (not for an extended period of time anyway)
We now have a 2009 Toyota Matrix 1.8 that I intend to service.

Can anyone suggest a guide for Dummies for this procedure. Plus any tips would be welcome.

Thank you!

I do cooler line flushes on my Toyotas with the sealed transmissions. You will need to get a factory service manual for the refill and fluid level instructions. Only use Toyota WS fluid. Most do not have a serviceable filter so no need to drop the pan.

If you don't wish to DIY have a dealer do a flush at 50,000 miles. They say it has lifetime fluid but my trans OCI is 50,000.

If your trans has a dipstick like my 2008 Rav4 then you can use a fluid extractor to get out the ATF. I replace 4 quarts of ATF in the RAV 4 annually with my fluid extractor. Easy.

Last edited:
It should have a drain plug on the trans pan. Pull the dipstick, open the drain plug and drain fluid, then top off on top through dipstick hole.

Should take a little over 3qts. I have used Valvoline Maxlife in the last couple trans I did on Matrix's.

Toyota is smart enough to include a drain plug on their automatic transmissions. Therefore, changing the ATF is very easy.

The transmission drain plug is usually a 10mm allen key hex slot. However, using a 10mm allen key doesn't always work since the torque neded is quite a bit higher than those things are normally used for.

Get a socket like this

If you have the 4-speed auto, get the allen socket shown above and 3 quarts/liters of WS. A drain and fill will take about 2.5 to 2.7 quarts. If this is the first change, the drain plug washer should be reusable.

Depending on how big a fella you are, you might be able to drive the front end up on a pair of 2-by-sixes and have have room to work--that's how I do it.

My ATF looked like hammered snot at 30,000 mi, so I did two more drain & fills and then changed the filter. It took 3 quarts after the pan drop.

If you have the 5-speed, capacities and drain plug size might be different.

Whatever you do, don't leave the factory fluid in for 100k as Toyota says. It's not THAT good a fluid, and that's way too long, even if the car has "light" use.

Flush it at 50/60k per the easily available instructions at toyotanation and elsewhere (coolant line flush). Then I'd just drain/fill every 30k. If you have at/under 30k now, just drain/fill now and then every 30k.

The last Toyota transmission I worked on took a 5mm hex socket, so check what exactly that one takes before purchasing one if you don't have a whole set. Also, MaxLife ATF is a better fill than the so-so WS factory fluid.

Great Video, Thank you.

I wonder why he did not drain the transmission BEFORE undoing the Pan?

Our car has 60k of mixed driving. Would you recommend a new filter (remove pan) or just a fluid replacement?

I would recommend fluid only.

The Toyota filters rarely, rarely get clogged or dirty. I have heard from more than one professional Toyota mechanic say "skip, time waste," unless you suspect a problem or see something in the fluid. I have done a few myself, always find them perfectly fine, and now skip it unless indicated by something else.

If I were you, I'd drain/fill, w/MaxLife. It is compatible with your factory fill.

Last edited:
PS - I meant to go into more detail about why I recommended MaxLife - that or any high-quality FULL synthetic.

The last two Toyota transmissions I worked on, I could only get out 25-28% of the total fluid volume via draining. Some other types (GM unit in my Acura, for example), I can get 50% out at once. Thus, I can't replace as much fluid if I only drain/fill. So I would like to use the most stable, longest-lasting fluid in that application that I can. Either that, or go to much more frequent drain/fill intervals.

Here's a good how-to on a prior Corolla, yours is likely the same. This is the preferred method (full dump via cooler line):

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9t...eplacement.html

Now let me clarify my statement, "If I were you...". What I meant was, if I were doing ONLY a drain/fill, I'd skip the dropping/filter. But if I WERE you, I would flush it all out and fill with a good full synthetic.

PPS - if you do the flush technique, or just have the car on jacks, it's a great time to do the PS system, too. I do it same as atf, every 30k so do them together. Have a few quarts extra ATF and do it the right way, also:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-ca...ice-needed.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back