CRC motor treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a can of CRC motor treatment at PepBoys today. It was next to, and looks like, SeaFoam and the STP additive. It was expensive just like the other two additives it was trying to copy. It has the same main ingredient as Seafoam, but it has mineral spirits and buto something ethanol

Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate 64742-54-7 45 – 55
Mineral spirits 8052-41-3 30 – 40
2-Butoxy ethanol 111-76-2 10 - 20

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05316

05316.jpg

Here is the MSDS. It doesn't look like anything special.

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5316.pdf

This product is just another hydrocarbon solvent (Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether or 2-Butoxyethanol) in a mineral oil base.

I wouldn't use it for anything but as a flush before an oil change for a dirty engine.

If you use a good oil, you probably don't need it.

Last edited:
AHH! Not another can of snake oil, read your engine manual and write out 10 times, "Do not use oil additives".
The only thing that belongs in the crankcase is oil, not cans from nut case companies that spend most of their income on brainwashing car and truck owners. The contents costs about 50 cents if bought in bulk.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
This product is just another hydrocarbon solvent (Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether or 2-Butoxyethanol) in a mineral oil base.
I wouldn't use it for anything but as a flush before an oil change for a dirty engine.
If you use a good oil, you probably don't need it.

If you add it just before an oil change and then let the engine idle for 10 minutes it will help clean out some sludge with the old oil. NEVER drive around with solvent additives in the oil unless your engine manufacturer or car manufacturer has approved the product. It's one great way to chew up the turbo bearings or block the oil pump intake screen in particular!
Any type of oil, even a group 5 Synthoil can form sludge or varnish if pushed well beyond a sensible OCI related to the condition of the engine and use of the vehicle, which is why UOA is a great idea if you want to explore the OCI boundaries or extend them if possible due to your exceptional granny driving style and 99% long highway trips on clean roads etc.
Any type of oil can form sludge or varnish if contaminated with anti freeze, fuel, dust from a failed air filtration system OR snake oil additives and not changed before the TBN in particular drops too low and the detergents throw in the towel.

The main ingredient in Seafoam is Pale Oil, making it mostly lube. This product is more of a cleaner, less of a lube. I drive around with Kreen all the time. All cleaner, so toxic it can't be sold retail. In comparison I don't see anything to fear.

Why CRC would want to ruin their good name is a mystery.I guess its pressure from shareholders to increase revenue.CRC also has introduced a combustion chamber cleaner as well.

Another "solution" in search of a problem.

I've had the oil pan off of a few of my cars (to replace a gasket) at well over 100,000 miles....there wasn't a hint of sludge in any of them...but then, I change the oil when recommended....

Last edited:
I wasn't planning on using it because of the cost. I just thought I would post the new oil additive I saw at the store.

I like CRC products, but this "me to" elixir is not something I will buy.

Originally Posted By: skyship
AHH! Not another can of snake oil, read your engine manual and write out 10 times, "Do not use oil additives".
The only thing that belongs in the crankcase is oil, not cans from nut case companies that spend most of their income on brainwashing car and truck owners. The contents costs about 50 cents if bought in bulk.

This is like the little boy who cried wolf,except your the snake oil guy.
I've used seafoam in a seriously sludged up Chrysler 3.0 motor. It took 2 treatments but it cleaned the muck out of the top end really well.
And my engine didn't seize up and no snakes slithered out of the oil fill cap.
Some engines sludge. Simple. In fact Chrysler's hemi has an oiling issue that a before
oil change flush can prevent(hemi tick is the symptom)
Skyship. I see posts from you very often claiming snake oil this and that yet you admitted that you use liqui-moly engine flush.
So does that mean because the liqui-moly costs more it isn't snake oil,or do you commonly call products you have never used snake oil.
I would assume if you tried it and it didn't live up to it's claims then yes,you can call it snake oil yet daily you trash products you've never used and have no experience whatsoever with.
Interesting

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's "the same" as the other 2.....it definitely has a different chemical structure......Seafoam is light pale oil, IPA, and some other solvent......STP plays claims to some "antioxidant" technology....not to mention, the MSDS is quite boring for STP
smile.gif

About the only new thing here is the 2-Butoxyethanol.....this is a primary ingredient in many of the "All Purpose Cleaners" (Simple Green, LA's Totally Awesome, Purple Power, etc.....), as well as some Aerosol Engine Degreasers (know for sure Engine Bright, and SuperTech Engine Degreaser.....)

Odd, that they would be marketing the chemical for "inside" the engine
wink.gif

The primary difference I noticed between Seafoam and STP though....is STP has a 4th method, of using the product as a "fast flush" prior to an OCI.....BUT, it also has procedures for using it pre-OCI as well as post-OCI.......so it seems it's "safe" to be used in the crankcase.....provided the directions are followed and right amounts are measured (which can be a PITA coming out of these steel cans.......lol.....)

ill vouch for this stuff, it works excellent... unlike seafoam, the crc motor treatment not only cleans but helps brings back oil levels and more lubricants with the syn-go technology. ive had bad experiences with seafoam, ill claim it destroyed my 05 scion tc because of possibly warped engine parts from overheating or large chunk of carbon knocked so bad that my oil was leaking which ive concluded that sseafoam cleans but also dries the oil out later to the point it hardens more and oil level is much more lower... crc doesnt do that, it liquifies the sludge while not depleting the oil when it wears off.... ive been doing tests and still am while i drive a Lexus currently so seafoam is definitely terrible when you need lubrication for after cleaning. with crc motor i usually start using it after 3k miles then maintain oil levels til 10k for an oil change. still works awesome to this day...

Last edited:
while I cannot speak specifically to the CRC stuff I can tell you that the STP stuff smells quite strongly of PEA.

I poured 3/4 of a can down the carb on my Buick then shut it off. Went inside autozone to get some free Mobil 1 gear oil then next door to 7 11 for a good ol coke slurpee. Started the Buick up and the smokeshow was intense. I left the parking lot and immediately noticed snappier response. In fact my tires were chirping in situations they normally wouldnt. Im positive this stuff did something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back