most techs don't get a 2 week notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, basically it was a surprise on my part on how this was handled - after all, I hadn't done anything wrong, and had a better opportunity that offered better work-life balance come up, for higher pay and faster career track.

I turned in my notice to my supervisor. Within a half hour the plant manager was in my office explaining the protocol. Then my session with HR for exit interview. Adios!

It was a good thing too - the part of the Dow plant I had been assigned to that couldn't produce product fast enough operating 24/7 when I worked there was down to straight day shifts a year later, and eventually a few years later Dow sold that particular portion of its manufacturing business.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Integrity doesn't change due to circumstances.
You either have some or not.

When I was young I never burned my bridges, it saved my butt more than once...

Indeed and it works both ways. If an employer put you in a
hostile work environment and it drives you to leave then they deserve a wake up call, and that is when you leave without any prior notice. A person with integrity shouldn't bend over further when the employer already has him over a barrel so to speak.
crackmeup2.gif
20.gif

A person with integrity would never compromise their integrity. The people saying to just leave are speaking loudly about their integrity.

When someone quits suddenly it's hard on the other low level employees who have to urgently find day care for their kids to cover your shift etc. If the business really is terrible those low level coworkers/references will dog you. The guy in the corner office won't notice too much discord in his minions.

Be the bigger man and give 2 weeks'.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
When i hear about people getting terminated immediately after giving 2 week notice, I have to assume they were not very good workers or very good at their job in the first place.

In software we'd tell them not to show up and keep mailing/depositing the paychecks for two weeks, or put them on 'reduced duty' - take away all of their permissions, and have them spend their time writing word docs about what they've been doing (for knowledge transfer to the new guy), and killing time on the web.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
What happens if Ram_Man puts in a 2 week notice and they fire him on the spot ?

He said he needs that $$$ and can't be without a check for 2 weeks.

As mentioned in my earlier post, in every state I've worked in (it has been several) if you are released after giving notice you MUST be paid for those two weeks. It may take time and a visit to court in some instances, but.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
Originally Posted By: Subdued
When i hear about people getting terminated immediately after giving 2 week notice, I have to assume they were not very good workers or very good at their job in the first place.

In software we'd tell them not to show up and keep mailing/depositing the paychecks for two weeks, or put them on 'reduced duty' - take away all of their permissions, and have them spend their time writing word docs about what they've been doing (for knowledge transfer to the new guy), and killing time on the web.

Typically that's done when they are going to a competitor.

Last edited:
We just had 2 drivers quit (one got a different job, one moving to Florida)...both gave notice, both worked those 2 weeks.

Both would be re-hired tomorrow if they inquired!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
We just had 2 drivers quit (one got a different job, one moving to Florida)...both gave notice, both worked those 2 weeks.

You work for a decent outfit, JA.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I left a job that I had liked about a year ago for what (at the time) seemed like a better opportunity. But that job didn't work out anything near what I had thought. I went from that, to another job that I had some high hopes for, and that didn't work out either. I called up my former boss from the job that I liked, but left, and asked if he needed help again. About a week later and now I am rehired and about to have my "first" day there again. He was excited to get me back. I doubt I would have been rehired if I hadn't given 2 weeks notice. But I did give 2 weeks, and I worked those last 2 weeks like I worked my first 2 weeks, and left on a great note.... Now I have the job again.. at the raise I had when I left. Never burn any bridges.

You can't be out of work 2 weeks, but were shopping for a Honda, correct? Same car you said you could pay cash for, essentially.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I have a new job. I took the drug test today and pending that and doing paper work tomorrow I'm all set. I've been told a lot of employers don't give mechanics there 2 week notice and get rid of them immediately. Knowing this and my boss didn't give the old cleaner we had his 2 weeks should I not tell him till last minute or should I give the 2 weeks anyway. I can't afford to be out of work long so I do not want to miss a pay check because of him not giving me 2 weeks.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
If you don't give your two week notice , where I work, you don't get your unused vacation/pto time. Its a requirement.

I'm not sure that is legal...

Originally Posted By: mjk
You can't be out of work 2 weeks, but were shopping for a Honda, correct? Same car you said you could pay cash for, essentially.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I have a new job. I took the drug test today and pending that and doing paper work tomorrow I'm all set. I've been told a lot of employers don't give mechanics there 2 week notice and get rid of them immediately. Knowing this and my boss didn't give the old cleaner we had his 2 weeks should I not tell him till last minute or should I give the 2 weeks anyway. I can't afford to be out of work long so I do not want to miss a pay check because of him not giving me 2 weeks.

You are too late; somebody else already pointed that out in the other topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back