Why do you prefer a certain oil brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have a preference for M1 for no apparent reason. I got a great deal on some PP that I have in the garage I will most likely use in the Subaru but could also use in the Nissan. It is convenient both my vehicles use the same filter and grade of oil however I have been using M1 in the Nissan since 7500 miles (last free OC from dealer. I know the better oil most likely is what ever is cheaper between the two but why do some of us prefer one over the other?

Sometimes, something like T6 comes along. Nothing wrong with M1, though, I used it and Castrol for many years.

Last edited:
Some people are easily marketed to and I guess that works. I'll run the cheapest thing that meets my needs and not some way overkill oil. So I'm not brand loyal but once I find a good product I try not to change from that even if the price fluctuates a little and may not be THE cheapest.

I prefer M1 because they have good availability, an easy to understand product line up and transparent information. They also warranty their oils to 10,000 and 15,000 miles.

This and other evidence suggests to me they are the highest quality product out there. At ~$25 for 5 quarts, I wouldn't even bother to save ~$10 by dropping down to conventional.

So if I needed oil right now for an oil change, and the prices were near enough the same, I would buy M1.

But since Pennzoil and retailers have been so generous with rebates and discounts, I have a stash with very little M1 in it.

I prefer what has the best value that meets the vehicle's OEM specs.

Not doing an oil change in the winter months in my driveway is something that has value for me as one example.

I don't mind doing two oil changes in the warmer months though.

Buying an oil that meets the OEM specs for both my vehicle and my wife's vehicle has value to me as another example.

So M1 has significantly less value for me than QSUD or PP.

"Not doing an oil change in the winter months in my driveway is something that has value for me as one example." +1 That is why i use a good Syn. in the winter months (long drain interval)and swith back to HDEO in April.
It works. Valvoline Here.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
^ how / when / where?

The PP I got was $22.66 for 5qt jug less a $10 MIR got me down to about $2.53 a qt. I was able to do two of those deals. Pennzoil has these deals quite often. Plus I got the $.25 cents off per gallon of shell gas.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
"Not doing an oil change in the winter months in my driveway is something that has value for me as one example." +1 That is why i use a good Syn. in the winter months (long drain interval)and swith back to HDEO in April.

I used to think that living in Wisconsin now I think that during the summers living in Georgia

I buy whatever I perceive to be the best regardless of price. Right now that is Penzoil Platinum Ultra for the Challenger and Ram. If I am convinced a different oil is better then I will go with it. I never have and never will try to save money on oil or filters.

I use BMW 5W-30 oil (which is Castrol) for the 328i because it is still under the 4 year 50K mile warranty with all maintenance covered.

I use HD Syn 3 for the bike. Great oil that can be used in the transmission and primary chain case as well as the engine.

Last edited:
QSUD. Because I got a whole barrel straight from Quaker State for $3.79 a quart plus tax, and the stuff retails for about $7.50 plus tax around these parts. Got it in the whole family's fleet except for one unit:

2011 Yaris
2009 Fit
2008 Fusion 2.3
2005 Opel Meriva
2001 D/21 2.4
1999 F-150 4.2
1999 Cherokee 4.0

not on QSUD: 1996 Ranger 2.3; Mobil Super 5w-30; hasn't been changed for years.

We use a 1 year/6,000 mile change interval for the QSUD. I also use it in my customers' cars when they are in good condition and recommend a 10,000 Km interval in their owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: stygz
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429

I used to think that living in Wisconsin now I think that during the summers living in Georgia

I never had a problem finding a time & weather window to change oil when I lived in Texas and Louisiana.

The invasion of the fire ants from South America made my a lot more picky as to exactly where I'd park a vehicle before getting underneath to work on it though.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Rather than always buying the same brand, I prefer to buy the best quality oil for my personal situation at the best value pricing. Also I prefer not to screw around with MIRs.

Pennzoil Mir is very easy, actually you don't Mail anything in.

I use any quality oil that I can find on clearance sale
I am not brand loyal at all
I would even use Royal Purple if I could get it for 50 cents a qt

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I buy whatever I perceive to be the best regardless of price. Right now that is Penzoil Platinum Ultra for the Challenger and Ram. If I am convinced a different oil is better then I will go with it. I never have and never will try to save money on oil or filters.

I use BMW 5W-30 oil (which is Castrol) for the 328i because it is still under the 4 year 50K mile warranty with all maintenance covered.

I use HD Syn 3 for the bike. Great oil that can be used in the transmission and primary chain case as well as the engine.

After all the information available on oil and filter here, I just can not understand why anyone worry so much about the prices of oil and filters!!!

Even if there is a difference in price of $50 between cheap oil/ filter and best oil/ filter , it make no sense to go cheap.
if oil is changed at 6 months intervals, it only cost $10 per month more!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back