Who else rides in winter when able?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in my younger days, I was willing to ride in snow, ice, bitter cold temps. etc. Then I noticed the effect road salt was having on my bike, despite trying to keep it in good shape.

These days, I ride up until the roads become paved with salt. Then I travel to warmer parts of the Country that don't spread salt on the roads, to ride.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

True Snow riding story...

Back in 78 aboard my street legal 250cc Husqvarna my friends and I
were headed towards Running Springs on a dirt road in the San
Bernardino mountains... The higher we climbed the more patches of snow
to knife through... It was always a race to be the first to part the
virgin snow and cover your buddies in an icy spray... Taking the lead
I was topped out in 4th gear in a turn on the side of the mountain and
came upon a single white patch that looked to be all of 1 inch deep...
no problem, I thought, I'll just power slide through it at 60 mph and
spray my friends in tow... but the only trouble was the innocent
looking patch wasn't innocent... mercy it was actually 24 inches of
deep of powder... First snow shot off both sides of the front tire
with such a force that my feet came off the pegs... next a wall of
white enveloped the handle bars... and finally front end plowed in
with such a shuddering force that I became air borne without a visual
clue where to land... mayday mayday... as I cleared the wall of white
the sight wasn't pretty... it was an aerial view of the canyon
below... I had ejected me and my Trusty Husky clean off the side of
the mountain road... I had micro seconds to set up for the best
approach... I leveled the bike... stood on the pegs and cringed hoping
for no rocks... the crash proved to be uneventful as the mud cushioned
the landing to the point I was stuck... there I sat looking eye level
at the road surface I just departed... peering over my shoulder I
witnessed my buddies looking in all directions for my whereabouts...
they couldn't believe how I could have vanished right in before their
eyes... white out to wipe out that's how...

265302578_3897dfbbb0_o.jpg

265309902_98ed35e879_o.jpg

How did you like that bike? There is a "barn find" one near me that looks pretty much original, including the tires! Its a 1979 390, they want $2500 but its been there for many months now.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Used to ride until snow arrived, but once that happens salt stays on roads until first good rains of spring. Even if weather warms up, there is so much salt dust on roads I won't pull out the bike.

Exactly this.

I'll ride into November or early December as long as it's in the 40's at least. But even then the cold takes the fun out of it. Once it snows and the plow trucks dump the salt and sand it's a no go. I too wait til we've had a decent rain in the spring to finally go out. I try to keep my bike in showroom condition and the nasty wet salty roads would destroy it. Then there are the giant pot holes you must avoid right after winter.....

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Used to ride until snow arrived, but once that happens salt stays on roads until first good rains of spring. Even if weather warms up, there is so much salt dust on roads I won't pull out the bike.

Exactly this.

I'll ride into November or early December as long as it's in the 40's at least. But even then the cold takes the fun out of it. Once it snows and the plow trucks dump the salt and sand it's a no go. I too wait til we've had a decent rain in the spring to finally go out. I try to keep my bike in showroom condition and the nasty wet salty roads would destroy it. Then there are the giant pot holes you must avoid right after winter.....

+1 Now that the [censored] is on the streets, It'll be a while

No way ANY salt is touching my bike! 50 degrees is my lower limit anyway...anything colder and it's just not fun anymore...

You'd be slightly crazy to ride here this time of year, usually right around 0F and enough salt and snow on the highways that either you or the bike likely wouldn't be in too good a shape by the end of the day. Looking out my window, the city streets have 3-4 inches of salt slurry and the plows already made one pass today.

Rode another 50 miles today, 200 miles in the last 3 days. We've had a nice three days with temps in the upper 50's. Probably be awhile before the next nice day. Rain and flurries possible in the next 24 hours or so.

I ride year-round. In this area, winter is the beautiful time to ride. It's summer that's the challenge here.

I rode 120 miles Wednesday with 5 other guys. It's my first ride in about 6 weeks. Temps were around 70 degrees, but cold rain today with a high in the mid 30's and possible sleet and snow flurries are forecasted for tomorrow. Crazy weather.

I sometimes ride in the winter but it has to be a 50+ degree day so I can wash the salt off the bike. This year...not a chance.
frown.gif

I didn't own a car for many years. I rode in all kinds of weather.

I probably rode more miles when it was 40° and raining than a lot of "bikers" have actually ridden.

I don't have to do that anymore.

I will ride when it is cold, but I don't ride in anything wet or frozen anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back