orion spacecraft test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orion Launch
300px--Liftoff_of_Orion.webm.jpg

Yeah, it's definitely a step in the right direction. However, there is a huge difference between an unmanned test launch using a Delta IV and putting the capsule in space with a man-rated launch vehicle. The United Launch Alliance only has launch vehicles designed for unmanned satellites. After Obama killed the Ares program in 2010, NASA has scrambled to put together a launch program for Orion. The current Space Launch System is in the works but it is REALLY expensive, something like $40B for the first four launches. At NASA's current level of funding, flying the Orion with astronauts on board is just a pipe dream.

They're supposed to be testing the heat shield on re-entry but the manufacturer stated that they will never make that heat shield again and that a new design is needed. Is this shot for publicity?

Really. You couldn't take the time to look it up, yet you make a post that it's somehow political or for publicity?

http://spaceflightnow.com/2014/11/05/engineers-recommend-changes-to-orion-heat-shield/

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
They're supposed to be testing the heat shield on re-entry but the manufacturer stated that they will never make that heat shield again and that a new design is needed. Is this shot for publicity?

Imagine where we'd be if NASA's budget was 2% tor 4% of Federal spending like it was in the early 1960's, instead of 0.5%.

I am a NASA contractor, and in my experience pretty much everything NASA does is for publicity. They try to sway public opinion in a way that will generate more funding from Congress, much like any other federal agency. The same reason the FBI makes sure the TV cameras are present when they make a big arrest, with lots of agents in their raid jackets with "FBI" in big letters accompanying the bad guy doing the perp walk. It's all about publicity and funding.

So are you saying that in this specific instance the reason for the design changes on the heat shield are not technical?

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD

I am a NASA contractor, and in my experience pretty much everything NASA does is for publicity. They try to sway public opinion in a way that will generate more funding from Congress, much like any other federal agency. The same reason the FBI makes sure the TV cameras are present when they make a big arrest, with lots of agents in their raid jackets with "FBI" in big letters accompanying the bad guy doing the perp walk. It's all about publicity and funding.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I'm sure the design changes are for technical reasons, but in the bigger picture everything they do is for publicity.

NASA is so neutered they pretty much have to make it a big party when something lifts off. If our beloved government would stop worrying about the M.E and actually fund NASA, it could open up a flood of opportunities in math and science and once again put us on the intellectual map. Something this country needs badly.

Because of our political leadership NASA will be launching once every 4 years. Our politicians have done what they can to shut NASA down and it's a crying shame. Launching with a heat shield design that will never be used again is just one more budget problem they have to work out. This world order nonsense and hitching rides with Russia and watching China evolve is painful in the extreme. NASA can offer the kind of jobs we need. What we need are politicians that are qualified and understand the concepts of leadership and national pride and if funded properly could aide the private sector space programs for the benefit of all Americans and we'd enjoy the benefits of a vibrant space age economy.

Keeps the TV viewers interested. NASA costs to much to do this . The private sector is who should be doing this kind of work. We are running out of collateral to keep on getting money from China.

You're really stuck on that heat shield. Do you suppose that the heat shield is the only thing that will be changed post today's flight? In the press conference today they actually mentioned this change, along with the possibility of many other changes including wiring and procedures. The reason for a possible heat shield change will be to reduce cost, would you rather they stick with the current one instead? Did you even look at the article I linked?

A lot of changes were introduced mid-stream during the Apollo program you know. Even after the moon landings began, the launch vehicles and spacecraft underwent many improvements. None were identical launch-to-launch.

And I agree with your comments about Russia and China, but as to the highlighted comment - always remember it is the private sector that does everything anyway. Orion was designed and built by Lockheed Martin, not NASA. NASA gives oversight but every piece of metal that is bent is done by a private sector company. They all win just the same whether it is Delta IV Heavy/Orion or Falcon 9/Dragon.

Because of our political leadership NASA will be launching once every 4 years. Our politicians have done what they can to shut NASA down and it's a crying shame. Launching with a heat shield design that will never be used again is just one more budget problem they have to work out. This world order nonsense and hitching rides with Russia and watching China evolve is painful in the extreme. NASA can offer the kind of jobs we need. What we need are politicians that are qualified and understand the concepts of leadership and national pride and if funded properly could aide the private sector space programs for the benefit of all Americans and we'd enjoy the benefits of a vibrant space age economy.

Delta IV heavy is not "man rated". However, it is a high quality and reliable launch system. Maybe it could be used with improvement modifications, and adjustments to the "man rated" criteria. Certainly, the reliability is good now. With only one partial failure out of 28 launches. (the partial failure was a slightly early shutdown due to cavitation of liquid oxygen in the lines) (a problem which has since been resolved)

I did get to watch the launch from my front lawn. I was able to see the rocket once it cleared the trees. Impressive indeed. That's a powerful machine!

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

NASA is so neutered they pretty much have to make it a big party when something lifts off. If our beloved government would stop worrying about the M.E and actually fund NASA, it could open up a flood of opportunities in math and science and once again put us on the intellectual map. Something this country needs badly.

This.

Build a [censored] wall, let rest of the world fend for themselves while we invent warp drive and get the h#ll off this rock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back