ditched X-ice Xi2's for Altimax Arctics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The non studded ARCTIC's on my daughter's Mazda3 are not loud at all!
smile.gif
And this car has little sound deadening insulation. The Arctic's aren't as quiet as the Pirelli P7 Cint A/S+ but, they're not LOUD either!

Last edited:
Just bought X-ice Xi3 for one of my Jettas, and un-studded Altimax for the other. We'll see how they handle this winter!

The Xi3s were bought to replace a set of aging (2005) WinterForces that were sub-par on snowpacked uphills last year. They still had plenty of tread, but the rubber feels almost like plastic - hard and smooth.

According to the TireRack reviews I've seen the Xi3 is superior in all conditions to the Altimax besides deep snow.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Just bought X-ice Xi3 for one of my Jettas, and un-studded Altimax for the other. We'll see how they handle this winter!

The Xi3s were bought to replace a set of aging (2005) WinterForces that were sub-par on snowpacked uphills last year. They still had plenty of tread, but the rubber feels almost like plastic - hard and smooth.

According to the TireRack reviews I've seen the Xi3 is superior in all conditions to the Altimax besides deep snow.

smile.gif
The Arctic scored(customer reviews) equal or better to the Xi3 all the categories that I have as my highest criteria(Deep Snow/Light Snow, Ice Traction). And the Arctic were ~$30 less per tire for my size and didn't suck in the other categories that I feel to be less important. Both very good tires by the way!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C&width=195%2F&ratio=65&diameter=15&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2006&autoModel=MAZDA3+i+4-Door&autoModClar=

It too bad that the reviews don't differentiate between the studded and non studded Arctic. So, it's hard to tell if the non studded would score the same. Most review that I read, the owner had non studded Arctic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spavel6

According to tirerack reviews Xi3 are best winter tires. According to friends I ahve that have that tire, they are best winter tire as long as it is dry
cool.gif

When looking at winter tires for the Mazda3 in my signature, the Tire Rack representatives(I spoke with several) told me that the Arctic or Blizzak fit my criteria better than the Xi3. And that the Xi3 were a good tire for more highway travel where snow/ice is less likely encountered(in their testing) than what I described in our experience.

The customer reviews are very good on all of the higher rated/tested winter tires.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I take the customer reviews with a grain of salt.. I think it's like reading customer reviews on coffee or wine..

I always find it interesting when someone compares their "old" tires to a set they just got.. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, let alone how my winter tires performed 5 seasons ago when I got them new!

I did watch the *potentially* objective reviews from tire rack, but was frustrated that they didn't rate the Arctic un-studded and the Xi3 head-to-head with the same metrics. They seemed to have changed their units of measure between the studded and studless tests..

Well, you're not wrong! I try to sift through the reviews and narrow down my choices of reviews to exact/like vehicles and climate the these reviewers are driving in.

I dislike when people review tires with 500 miles on them and never hear from them again.

I try to remember what my previous tires were like when they were new to the time I got rid of them when making a comparison.

Yes, I'd also like to see the Arctic non studded compared to the Xi3's side-by-side. Maybe they will compare top rated snow tires in one category with another(kind'a like the playoffs).
smile.gif
That'd be nice too!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yes, I'd also like to see the Arctic non studded compared to the Xi3's side-by-side. Maybe they will compare top rated snow tires in one category with another(kind'a like the playoffs).
smile.gif
That'd be nice too!

I think Altimax non studded wouldn't have a chance. It's thread model is 10 years old (Gislaved Nordfrost 3) and Xi3 is still top3 in most winter tyre tests.

FWIW, I had those studded Nordfrost 3s few years back. Nothing wrong with them, but when studs fell off there was no ice grip anymore. Altimax's compound might be different though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back