engine oil and filter for new 2015 nissan rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a Nissan Rogue 2015 SV Premium Package AWD, I know the CVT requires special fluid, but what about the oil? What kind of oil does it use? I'm guessing it's using synthetic 0w-20 but I haven't looked into that yet. What about oil filter recommendations. Could I use a ford motorcraft fl 400s on it, or what motorcraft would be good for it? What about purolator, oem, wix, etc? Filter recommendations and oil recommendations? Grade and type? Does it require synthetic? I've heard horrible things about Nissan CVTs, anybody can provide more info on that? I heard most modern nissans were unreliable and were lemons.

Here, print off this coupon and take it to the dealer.
6fvbrk.jpg

Originally Posted By: engineer20
For a Nissan Rogue 2015 SV Premium Package AWD, I know the CVT requires special fluid, but what about the oil? What kind of oil does it use? I'm guessing it's using synthetic 0w-20 but I haven't looked into that yet. What about oil filter recommendations. Could I use a ford motorcraft fl 400s on it, or what motorcraft would be good for it? What about purolator, oem, wix, etc? Filter recommendations and oil recommendations? Grade and type? Does it require synthetic? I've heard horrible things about Nissan CVTs, anybody can provide more info on that? I heard most modern nissans were unreliable and were lemons.

So did you buy this vehicle, even after what you "heard" about Nissans being lemons?
shocked.gif

no, a family member bought it, and it's too late to return it
i warned them, but they just bought it
i plan to service it
does nissan have free oil changes or something like toyotacare?

Can I use 5w-20 in it, or is that not recommended?

Yes and you can even use 10W-30 in it and it would probably last longer too.

Nissans are probably just as reliable an anything out there. I've got a 2004 Altima that's been pretty problem free so far.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Nissans are probably just as reliable an anything out there. I've got a 2004 Altima that's been pretty problem free so far.

I have an '04 Altima as well. I haven't had the problems that are listed in the '02-'06 Altima repairs/problems areas but, Nissan certainly is having some issues of late. I'd stay away from them for now even though this particular car has been one of my favorite cars "ever" to own and drive!
smile.gif

To the OP(engineer20), the owners manual is the best source for this information on oil/filters and everything else on a brand new car. Borrow the OM from your family member at some point and go from there. BITOG is also a good source of info but, not gospel as is the OM and warranty!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Given your history and your paranoia, just don't touch it. Don't worry about it. Both you and the car will be better off...seriously.

Last edited:
I agree completely. Do not get involved. You are not ready to take on the responsibility of maintaining someone else's vehicle. Family can be worse to deal with than friends if something goes wrong.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Given your history and your paranoia, just don't touch it. Don't worry about it. Both you and the car will be better off...seriously.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
....To the OP(engineer20), the owners manual is the best source for this information on oil/filters and everything else on a brand new car. Borrow the OM from your family member at some point and go from there. BITOG is also a good source of info but, not gospel as is the OM and warranty!
smile.gif

+1 Don't "guess" what it takes.

Since you're thinking about doing this for a family member follow the OM recs and if you don't want to research aftermarket filters on your own, (plenty of info on the OF board) use oem. That is the safe course.

No idea about "modern" Nissan's as I never plan on owning one again. But I can say beyond any doubt the 02-03 2.5L's truly fit the definition of lemon.

All that said, having read previous posts I agree the safest course in this case would be to let the dealer do it for you.

Most people don't understand that touching one thing doesn't affect another. So, if you change the oil on it, *you* are going to be responsible when the CVT fails at 50,000 miles.

Hopefully it will be covered under Nissan's warranty. I haven't heard of them failing to replace failed CVTs ... so that's good.

I heard most modern nissans were unreliable and were lemons.

I had three Nissans for last 14 years. No more ever!

Originally Posted By: timeau
I heard most modern nissans were unreliable and were lemons.

I had three Nissans for last 14 years. No more ever!

I'm on #6 myself. Had some plastic issues and leaky rear axle seals on the Titan (#1), the Cube (#2) was wonderfully large for such a small vehicle and made a great in the snow machine with studs on it, I bought the Armada (#3) because I loved the motor/tranny combo on the Titan but wanted an SUV for hauling the family everywhere, the Maxima (#4) was great for comfort and cross country road trips, good power and looked nice, the Juke (#5) was as much a nice surprise as the Cube, but in a different way, excellent handling, good in the snow, zippy, decent highway mileage, and the Altima (#6) sits in the driveway with 500 miles and the temporary tag still on it.

So maybe 4 of the CVT's spanning some of the "bad" years (the Cube came with the big warranty because of the CVT) and no trouble. No trouble with CVT's or PSD in 2 other manufacturers hybrids as well, certainly they aren't perfect but the one in the Juke (13) and Altima (15) seem to be quite effective. I can get a solid 40mpg from the Altima, as good as my old Camry hybrid.

No big miles on any of these (all less than 50K) by the time I sold them, but all CVTs were working fine the day they left my hands. And seriously, with the quantities of Rogues and Altimas out there, if the CVTs were failing left and right, you would hear from far more people than the few you seem to find on internet forums with some problem or another that may or may not be a problem, as compared to just how a CVT "feels" compared to a traditional automatic.

I have a new old 14 rogue select. The filter is horizontal; under the harmonic balancer and is accessed thru the PS wheel well. My Grade is 5w30 I may run a real syn 0s30 in the winter
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back