I bought a '14 Cruze LT 1.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hated to do it for a variety of reasons, but I pulled the trigger on one last Saturday. Stickered at $21.3K, they gave me $1K for my rotted out '00 Venture minivan. Out the door under $17K. 2% financing so I floated a 48month loan.

Drove well enough for me & should be good on gas. Any advice on this thing post-purchase?

Congratulations; I drove an Eco with the manual gearbox a couple of years ago and I was quite impressed. A very nice car- especially considering the price.

Use a full synthetic Dexos 1 oil...

Dont let the OLM go below 25%

First oil poster!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I hear they have problems with water pumps..........

Thank God he will have a warranty for a few years then. There a some perks to brand new cars. Congrats on the purchase OP!

I'm not sure why you hated to do it. I have a 2012 and I absolutely love the car. I put a LOT of miles on cars so I wanted a good affordable vehicle. It has surpassed my expectations. I thought I was buying a budget car, yet it feels, drives, and handles like a car well beyond its price range. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I hear they have problems with water pumps..........

I think all cars do sooner or later..............

Why would you purchase a car if you "hated to do it"?

When we were shopping for a car recently I was thoroughly impressed with the manual trans Cruze eco we test drove.

A few years ago I never would have believed I would have liked a small GM car, but it had good driving dynamics, a good shifter/clutch and a pretty good interior. Great EPA mileage rating, too.

It was our second choice. We got a screaming deal on another car, but my wife and I both liked the Cruze.

Of all of the used cars that we looked at in this category, I think that the Cruze is one of the most grownup feeling and not as junky feeling as some of the other cars in this segment. Though we didn't buy a Cruze, it certainly was near the top of the list of vehicles in it's class. Only a few things kept us from buying one but, certainly a nice car.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Hated to do it for a variety of reasons, but I pulled the trigger on one last Saturday. Stickered at $21.3K, they gave me $1K for my rotted out '00 Venture minivan. Out the door under $17K. 2% financing so I floated a 48month loan.

Drove well enough for me & should be good on gas. Any advice on this thing post-purchase?

Just enjoy!

IMO the Cruze looks very "not small car". Great interior, too. Definitely would be high on my list if I was in that market.

Good luck and great driving to ya!

They are a very attractive vehicle. Congratulations on your new purchase. As mentioned, read every page of the owners manual and stick with DEXOS-1 oil.

Rented one last Spring for a trip from FL to Gulf Shores, and was really impressed with the Cruze. Car got lots of compliments from the other couples in our group.
Stay in touch with the folks at this owners forum, and you should be good to go:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback!

I've started learning about Dexos oil & which ones are and are not. So I hope to have that figured out before the initial oil change.

Learning all the features of this car is driving me to spend quality time with the manual. Remote start, bluetooth, the driver info center, USB stuff, etc. is all new to me!

Lastly, my opening remarkes involving "hated to do it" was largely centered around the expense & having a car payment again. $17k is the most I've ever spent on a vehicle .... that will eventually find its way to the rusty scrap heep.

But it is a nice ride & good on gas...let's hope it stays out if the shop....

I just bought a 2014 Sonic with the 1.8

The water pump issue was fixed, as they were plastic, now they are aluminum.

Lot of good info on Cruze and Sonic forums about the cars and the engines.

Congrats - we have a '13 LS and enjoy it.

The advice I've seen previously was that the FF is the AC Delco blend and not all that stout for the 1.4l given the turbo. Well worth dumping it before the OLM is at 0% and sticking with the full synthetic of your choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back