Best UCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good product to add to my gas regularly? I have had seemingly good success with lucas but I'm always hesitant to use their products. Redline seems to work okay for cleaning but doesn't seem to do much in lubing. What do you use?

Believe it or not the Lucas fuel treatment is actually decent. It contain polyisobutylene which is known to improve fuel economy. It's the only Lucas branded stuff that isn't garbage.
But it's overpriced.
I use tc-w3/acetone mix in everything I own that burns fuel.

Valid question!
35.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I wish someone could explain what it is in the upper cylinder that needs lubing.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
What is a good product to add to my gas regularly? I have had seemingly good success with lucas but I'm always hesitant to use their products. Redline seems to work okay for cleaning but doesn't seem to do much in lubing. What do you use?

How does Red Line gas treatment fail you?

Buy the Lucas fuel treatment in bulk, its a lot cheaper in the long run. Summit Racing has a 5 gallon bucket for $105.97 and 4 (1)gallon jugs for $95.92, both with free shipping.

I wish someone could explain what it is in the upper cylinder that needs lubing.

It doesn't, it get lubrication by your engine oil.

CRC emissions formula has PEA along with gumout complete fuel system. I now just use the CRC stuff in my gas every 6 months or so.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

It doesn't, it get lubrication by your engine oil.

But, that doesn't get you to spend money
smile.gif

Right? I've never lubed my upper cylinder. I figure if it actually needed lubing the engineers would have designed an oil passage to lube it by now.

No there isn't much in the upper cylinder that needs lubing, apart from maybe the compression rings. But don't forget that fuel travels through moving parts that use fuel as a lubricant such as the fuel pump(s) and injectors.
I used to think the same until I actually started using UCLs in my car, and I don't think any skeptics on here have room to talk if they have no experience with them but just their opinion on what they think they know.
My old man always used Lucas fuel treatment and I thought I'd give my car a dose. I always used the exact same fuel from the same station so any noticable changes would be 100% valid from where I stand.
Anyways, after a few days I noticed the idle was much smoother, acceleration and higher RPMs were massively quieter and I no longer had the vibration I used to get from the engine past 4,000rpm.
After I filled the next tank up and added some more UCL I reset the trip as always and I ended up getting over 830KM out of a tank, where as before I would rarely get above 750.
I have recently changed to TCW3 after I found it gave similar results for half the price, but I now know that UCLs definitely do something positive to an engine, and for those who are saying 'what needs lubing?' I don't really know! But it must lube something!

I still wish someone could tell me what it is in the upper cylinder that needs lubing
wink.gif

And the injectors and fuel pump? Somehow I haven't seen either of those dying on any of my high-mileage cars and I never add anything to the gasoline.

The line about the skeptics not having any say because they don't use it - well where do you get your complimentary data points from then? People who say that generally just don't want to have to defend against the majority that do not use something and don't have an issue (and without citing any technical merit). It's a way of deflecting the topic away from showing a need and an effectiveness, and putting the burden of proof on the other side.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
No there isn't much in the upper cylinder that needs lubing, apart from maybe the compression rings. But don't forget that fuel travels through moving parts that use fuel as a lubricant such as the fuel pump(s) and injectors.
I used to think the same until I actually started using UCLs in my car, and I don't think any skeptics on here have room to talk if they have no experience with them but just their opinion on what they think they know.
My old man always used Lucas fuel treatment and I thought I'd give my car a dose. I always used the exact same fuel from the same station so any noticable changes would be 100% valid from where I stand.
Anyways, after a few days I noticed the idle was much smoother, acceleration and higher RPMs were massively quieter and I no longer had the vibration I used to get from the engine past 4,000rpm.
After I filled the next tank up and added some more UCL I reset the trip as always and I ended up getting over 830KM out of a tank, where as before I would rarely get above 750.
I have recently changed to TCW3 after I found it gave similar results for half the price, but I now know that UCLs definitely do something positive to an engine, and for those who are saying 'what needs lubing?' I don't really know! But it must lube something!

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Believe it or not the Lucas fuel treatment is actually decent. It contain polyisobutylene which is known to improve fuel economy. It's the only Lucas branded stuff that isn't garbage.
But it's overpriced.
I use tc-w3/acetone mix in everything I own that burns fuel.

I agree Lucas fuel treatment is the only decent thing that you can take from Lucas staff.

But, why you add acetone in the gas ?

I still wish someone could tell me what it is in the upper cylinder that needs lubing
wink.gif

And the injectors and fuel pump? Somehow I haven't seen either of those dying on any of my high-mileage cars and I never add anything to the gasoline.

The line about the skeptics not having any say because they don't use it - well where do you get your complimentary data points from then? People who say that generally just don't want to have to defend against the majority that do not use something and don't have an issue (and without citing any technical merit). It's a way of deflecting the topic away from showing a need and an effectiveness, and putting the burden of proof on the other side.

IIRC, MolaKule said that motor oil does just fine as a UCL.

As for skeptics not having say, I agree with you. The product makes public claims, the public has the right to question it.

So what is the science that proves it works?

Last edited:
Well it has been a common problem down here in small diesel trucks with high pressure pumps and injectors such as the Toyota 3.0 D4D and Mitsubishi 3.2 Triton engine. The new ULSD fuels had way less lubricity and caused very premature wear, mainly in the injectors. It was a huge case because it was becoming a very common issue and Toyota refused to accept responsibility because it was the fuels fault, and this left many customers having to fork out for new injectors costing $1000 EACH. One way round it recommended by nearly all mechanics was to add Lucas fuel treatment. Apparently they are now fitted with new injectors which don't have the same problem but my father has just bought a brand new Hilux with the 3.0 D4D and he still adds Lucas anyway to be safe

And instead of guessing why it might not do anything, how about you try adding a UCL? The least it's going to do is increase your mileage and make your engine smoother and quieter. But who the h*ll wants that right?

Considering that your entire example is completely unrelated to any of the automobiles I own (as well as being unrelated to the OP's vehicles), then I think I will pass.

And I'm not guessing anything, I was asking a question. I was asking what in the upper cylinder needs lubing. But since you mentioned it - how does it increase mileage? You state it is certain - how does it work?

Well it has been a common problem down here in small diesel trucks with high pressure pumps and injectors such as the Toyota 3.0 D4D and Mitsubishi 3.2 Triton engine. The new ULSD fuels had way less lubricity and caused very premature wear, mainly in the injectors. It was a huge case because it was becoming a very common issue and Toyota refused to accept responsibility because it was the fuels fault, and this left many customers having to fork out for new injectors costing $1000 EACH. One way round it recommended by nearly all mechanics was to add Lucas fuel treatment. Apparently they are now fitted with new injectors which don't have the same problem but my father has just bought a brand new Hilux with the 3.0 D4D and he still adds Lucas anyway to be safe

And instead of guessing why it might not do anything, how about you try adding a UCL? The least it's going to do is increase your mileage and make your engine smoother and quieter. But who the h*ll wants that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back