DPFE, P0402, P1401.. How long am I away from..

Status
Not open for further replies.
..from replacing things? Been using the scanner, clearing out these DTCs, and they keep setying the SES with a good degree of regularity in service.

The vehicle is 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 and has about 155,000 miles on it, with many original parts and not much changed, first time these codes been popping up.

A DPFE is less than $100 and is a super simple repair.

I think I only spent around $40-50 on one for my Explorer, but it used the older style pot metal one. The plastic ones are more expensive, but not ridiculous.

When replacing, check the hoses that go to it. There was a bunch of crusty stuff in the ones on my Explorer.

Replacing the DPFE at some point is kind of a given on EGR equipped Fords. It will run fine, but I take it you have emissions testing up there. My Explorer was emissions exempt due to age (owned it in NC), but I still fixed it just to turn the CEL off even though it ran the same before and after.

Thank you sir.
smile.gif

Yeah, the DPFE is a typical problem on Fords. When OBDII came along, cars were required to self test EGR flow. Ford used the DPFE, other auto makers typically use other methods.

Always replace the sensor first when you get an EGR code, then hope that after the computer is reset, nothing else causes an EGR code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back