Acura customer service ARGHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off the phone with Acura customer service. Extremely frustrating.

My 2012 TL 3.7L engine has been using oil at a rate of 1 Qt per 4K miles since new. Although this is more than I am used to, I understand that these engines have been known to use a bit of oil. Over the past year, the oil consumption has increased to a rate of 1 qt per 2K miles. The car now has 48K miles on it. This increased rate of consumption has given me concern that something mechanically is happening.

The dealer did an oil consumption test and confirmed the 1 qt per 2K, but will not evaluate any further because it does not exceed the Acura guidelines of 1 qt per 1K as acceptable. The fact that the rate has doubled did not seem to concern them.

Called Acura Client services and spoke to a polite representative that kept reiterating the corporate policy of 1 qt per 1K miles. They will not investigate oil use unless it exceeds this threshold even in a situation where the rate has doubled. Also frustrating is they would not send me a transcript of the conversation we had for my documentation. He presented himself as the court of last resort even when I requested to speak to a supervisor.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Other than oil consumption, I love this car

Try a semi-synthetic 1st, then maybe Maxlife red bottle. Then move up to 5W-30 Maxlife. If that doesn't work, you may have to live with it. With only a 4.5 qt sump, that kind of usage would bother me too.

Will Acura pay for a new cat converter after it has been poisoned by the oil? How do the spark plugs look?

Interestingly my consumption rate(1qt in 4000 miles) went up with my 2007 Acura MDX(same motor) when I used dealer(5w20 $40/change) for an oil change.However my Subie indy puts 5w30 dino in and it typically uses a quart in 6-7k range. I have 125,000 miles on 07 MDX with 3.7.

1) Letter United States Postal Service Certified Return Receipt Requested. Copy to BBB and FTC.
2) Call back ask for manager to call you back - don't take no for an answer. They do have them. No the phone drone cannot help you...

Keep in mind they are up to their arm pits in airbag stuff so it might take a day or two for the manager to call you back.

Not that I'm especially confident that it is going to do a lot of good, I'd approach it from the increased usage stand point, not the usage stand point. Which it sounds like you are.

I've had some real Junkers in the past that used oil, but I would not put up with consumption like that!

I wonder what would happen if you put a big sign on the car, Saying it's an oil burner, and the name of your dealer.

I had a problem with Acura CS and was told the same thing, we are as high as you can go. I sent a letter to the VP of Honda corp. and a couple weeks later a tech rep from Acura showed up at my front door and reviewed with me my problem. I got a new engine installed, although it took 3mo, and drove their loaner for that period.
Be polite and state your facts, you may get results.
YMMV
Smoky

ALL the manufactures offer similar guidelines. Not sure what you expect them to do. Learn to live with it or try a different oil. I've seen some cars drink synthetic but do fine on a conventional.

Castrol GTX isn't my favorite oil, but it has slowed down consumption in every vehicle I have ever tried it in, FYI.

What oil are you using? Also going up a grade wont hurt anything at all (5w30 instead of 5w20)

My oil consumption went way down when I switched to Mobil 1 0W-40 in my PT Cruiser and Minivan.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Will Acura pay for a new cat converter after it has been poisoned by the oil? How do the spark plugs look?
I believe there is an extended warranty on emission parts by Federal requirement. Still, throwing a replacement cat on the car is cheaper than a new engine for Honda. How long does it take, I wonder, for the American corporate "bleep the customer we can afford to lose him" mentality to infuse a once quality company conscious company like Honda. I would expect Honda engines to be better than average in design and build quality. I wonder what the actual mechanical problem is and will they ever admit it. In any event, that engine is probably not calling out for 0W-20 right now.

If something is truly broken I'd think consumption would accelerate. As long as it dropped below 1qt/1k before warranty is up I'd think you'd be set: dealer has already documented 1qt/2k, and should have record of you stating it was 1qt/4k, thus showing a history.

Thanks all for the input.

I have used 5W-20 synthetic oil since the break-in oil was changed at about 5K miles (15% on the motor monitor).
Brands do not seem to make a difference. Mobil1, Mobil1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra, Royal Purple SN, and Redline have been used. I always change at between 10-15% on the motor minder.

The suggestion for a certified letter to an Acura VP makes a lot of sense. I did request a call from my service representative's supervisor.

Will keep all posted.

The oil has to get past either the valve guides, the valve stem seals, the piston rings or through the PCV.
Do you notice smoke on a cold start? Or on acceleration or decelerating on overrun?
Stick a finger in the PCV tubing to check for residue.
Have you checked compression? Or done a leak down test?

I would first try a thicker oil... I run M1 0w40 in my Odyssey van, similar engine... now at 110 000 miles , and oil consumption dropped from 2 quarts every 6000 with a 20 grade to less than 1 quart per 6000 with the 0w40.

Is it thicker than needed... probably, but it helps with oil consumption and works fine.

And good luck with trying to get Honda / Acura to help... until you get to the 1 quart per 1000 miles thresh-hold, they will likely do nothing. Your engine is not BROKEN... it is simply at the high end of what is deemed acceptable oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back