Saab Red Coolant Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah what year? Saab used G-48 blue then went to the Glysantin version of dex cool.

The car is a 2005 9-5. It has the red coolant in it now. I bought a liter of Pentosin red coolant today. I'll use that, but if I can use a Dexcool clone, I'd like to use that in the future.

Originally Posted By: ET16
The car is a 2005 9-5. It has the red coolant in it now. I bought a liter of Pentosin red coolant today. I'll use that, but if I can use a Dexcool clone, I'd like to use that in the future.

Is the Pentosin red compatible with Dex Cool? If it were my car I'd just use Dex Cool, I am no coolant expert though..

Pentosin Red (Pentofrost A1) is for Toyota and Lexus, other asians. It might be ok in your system if it was thoroughly flushed with water from the original coolant and the existing one is in fact the 'Asian' red. You should probably find out what is in it for certain.

I think yours came with Dexcool, and orange or orange-red. Verify the color and don't change add the Pentosin until you know (assuming it is Pentofrost A1 - only red Pentosin I know). If you added A1 to Dexcool it will likely need to be fully flushed at least twice with distilled water and new coolant introduced.

Drain/fill/drain/fill/drain/fill 5 times over with distiller water every time.
Ten you can use what you want
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ET16

Your Saab would not spec Pentosin "red" (Asian formula) as the link below confirms. It would spec Pentofrost SF which is pink(ish) in color. Based on the spec sheet it would appear to be a DexCool formula as noted above.

Wondering if you are saying red but meaning pink(ish.)

Suppose you could use Pentofrost Red with a complete flush, but as it specs pink SF that would be my first choice.

http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp

Hello, We have 2 "GM Saabs" in the family-soon to be 3.
They take Dex-Cool. Do the rinse. Get it to clear.
We'll have 2 2002 9-5's and a 2005 9-5 Aero. All have the 4 cyl. engine.
The 1999 9-5SE had G-46 (familiar dark blue coolant) but I converted that to G-05.

Everybody's happy. Kira

Sorry, I thought my pink fluid was "red". I see that it is "pink". I bought the Pentosin that is also good for Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back