Iranian airstrikes against ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
This story was on MSN headlines the other day. picture showed a jet... Had to get to work, never clicked on story... Jet looked like F 20 tigershark?? Maybe?? Anybody else see the story??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
This story was on MSN headlines the other day. picture showed a jet... Had to get to work, never clicked on story... Jet looked like F 20 tigershark?? Maybe?? Anybody else see the story??

F4's!!!! How cool is that 1960's designed planes still viable in modern warfare!

We instead use $500 million dollar F22's against Toyota pickups
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rjundi

F4's!!!! How cool is that 1960's designed planes still viable in modern warfare!

smile.gif

In our defense, those Toyota pickups are pretty indestructible as long as there is no roadsalt!

There were three Iranian SU-25 Frogfoot's based in Bahgdad but they left on or about November 12th and are back at Shiraz revolutionary guard base in Iran. SU-25 is a hardened ground attack jet same combat role as our A-10.

From the front-on view the SU-25 and F-20 bear some resemblance, so I think the MSN article must have shown Iran's frogfoots.

Here is a detailed article on the matter, and the source from which I drew my info above:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/irans-flying-tanks-in-iraq-2ebb3bff64ce

I havent seen the article but I would imagine this to be the case. My palestinian co-worker said that the last time he was over there, the people were all running scared of ISIS. Its not only their tactics, but their behaviors in terms of unmarried women and other things that seem to bother most of the islamic world too.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

smile.gif

In our defense, those Toyota pickups are pretty indestructible as long as there is no roadsalt!

There was a PBS show a few years after 9/11 where some journalists had somehow been allowed to travel with Taliban fighters. At one point, they showed footage of Toyota pickups winding up switchbacks, and some discussion of the vehicles. Through a translator, one of the fighters said something like "Good truck for holy war."

smile.gif

Acquisition process in Pentagon sometimes reminds me of 2 year old kids wanting latest toys. Always preparing for wars with Russia, China, but somehow we always end up fighting guys in pick-up trucks.

Take Shah era F-5. epoxy on a Beechcraft V tail, VOILA! air superiority fighter!

Saeqeh-fighter-plane-test-Tehran1.jpg

Vastly superior to Yankee dog F-22.

Good find Spazdog, hilarious as heck isn't it? F-5 was a trainer. Called the T-38 in the AF.

I'm sure Astro14 has the word on this, but I have been told by folks with great sources that the Iranian Air Force is a huge paper tiger.

In a matter of a few hours they would be gone, and it may even be done by a carrier group.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

smile.gif

Acquisition process in Pentagon sometimes reminds me of 2 year old kids wanting latest toys. Always preparing for wars with Russia, China, but somehow we always end up fighting guys in pick-up trucks.
Seems we are not having much luck either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back