Why so many differnt Antifreezes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB1

I don't get it. Engines in so many different cars/trucks are made of the same metals but there are what seems to be endless different antifreeze formulas. Shops don't seem to care nearly as much as the internet. What is the difference between a Ford with Aluminum, cast iron and plastic components than a BMW or Mercedes or Toyota.... If we are mixing with distilled water it should make Zero difference, right? From what I can tell they blend the coolant due to the local water supply or so it seems.

I think they all want to do it their way,and to ensure a dealer-only supplied item.Until the aftermarket catches up that is...

I know that if I don't put HOAT in my jeep I'm going to get premature gelling and electrolysis.

I don't know why, but I know it's a fact.

I havn't paid much attention, but there do seem to be too many products 'out there'-it can get confusing. I use green Preston in most of my stuff with no problems. Dexcool in a'06 Chev.

I buy Dex-Cool because I like the color.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
There aren't as many formulas as people think, but there are lots of pretty coloured coolants out there. The only goal is to spread confusion and fear. A confused person usually will not dare straying from the OEM coolant.
Same thing with "factory" oil filters.

BMW forums say death is imminent if you dot use BMW coolant but BMW shops just put green when they do work unless you specifically ask and pay. Just had a motor change done due to blown HG had BMW blue. Got it back with green. All I can find on the reason of blue is due to water in Europe and the assumption u use tap water.

I'm not saying to use the improper coolants but, whatever you use, keep the system clean w/drain & refill and flushed(if possible). And yes, use the proper coolants.

Although, I have never had engine related issues from coolants and I have used mostly, AMAM's in a lot of Asian/Domestic vehicles.

Good water is another key. Buy distilled if necessary/possible. In my area, we have good water. In other parts of the country/world, this may not be the case.

Seriously, the only gasket issues I have ever had in engines, were with vehicles that had a history of those known gasket failures.

Last edited:
^Do not take this as an attack, but what is "good water?" Good for drinking and having balanced pH and low mineral content are not necessarily the same characteristics that make the water good for drinking. My tap water, as most Texas lake-sourced tap waters are, is hard (200 ppm TDS), has a lot of chlorine, and is reasonably alkaline (pH above 8). That part's not so bad. I used a reverse osmosis system to make good tasting drinking water and it happens to be good for lots of other things, including coolant and topping off car batteries.

Before I "knew better" I used to just use water from the garden hose to mix my coolant. Honestly, the cooling systems I refilled never corroded away to nothing, nor did I notice any buildup. I use demineralized water now regardless, but still...

No attack felt!
smile.gif

I guess for drinking/bathing! I see what you mean though, and I do recommend using distilled/demineralized as mentioned previously. Regular maintenance is the key as well is the proper coolant and water.

Though I have done this cooling system maintenance the wrong way for years without issues in every vehicle I've owned. Wrong coolant, wrong water, wrong thinking etc.

I too used the garden hose for refilling my cooling systems for many years without issues in aluminum and cast iron engines and aluminum and brass radiators. Many years meaning...15-20 years and some, 30 years. Vehicles that I have kept & maintained that long without premature water pump or radiator failures. Sure, I've replaced those items but, mainly due to age and salt rot(inevitable). No gasket failures in vehicles with no failure history of those gaskets.

Lucky? or didn't it matter? IDK!
smirk.gif

Last edited:
There was a time when the Benz boys instruction was to avoid "demineralized" water because it would, they said, react with coooling system metals in order to reach some kind of mineral balance. Pure, distilled water is, I belieive, demineralized.
I use the water out of my dehumidifier to mix with coolant. The question is what do the makers of "premix" coolant use?

Last edited:
Deionized water is similar in purity to distilled. I used to work in dialysis clinics and DI is a backup to the RO system. DI water tastes awful, almost like a chemical solvent - it's that clean.

RO is more than adequately clean and I have had my system for 18 years and counting. I started drinking it due to the tap water tasting so awful during my time in Corpus Christi. The TDS in that tap water is about 600 ppm. It is straw colored and you can sometimes see things floating in it. I used to have to replace the old style mesh screen faucet aerators annually along with rubber parts inside the toilets. It's safe to drink, but nasty!

I doubt you're going to do much harm to your cooling system using ANY choice of water if it's mixed with the correct proportion of coolant.

In the early '90s I worked at an auto parts store. In those days I believe all the coolants were the same green stuff and cost $3.99/gal. It's a lot more complicated now with all the choices, but I think most vehicles will be fine with any type of coolant as long as you don't mix different types and you use pure water.

Originally Posted By: KB1
BMW forums say death is imminent if you dot use BMW coolant but BMW shops just put green when they do work unless you specifically ask and pay. Just had a motor change done due to blown HG had BMW blue. Got it back with green. All I can find on the reason of blue is due to water in Europe and the assumption u use tap water.

Because it is not their car they can dump anything into it incl. pee. If you are having someone working on the cooling system it better be the stealership or if you are educated stick with OEM coolants. This is one department where shortcuts can be quite dear!!!

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: KB1

Because it is not their car they can dump anything into it incl. pee. If you are having someone working on the cooling system it better be the stealership or if you are educated stick with OEM coolants. This is one department where shortcuts can be quite dear!!!

Exactly what I mean. What proof do you have that the dealership does a better job? Why is it better other than someone said so? Just because the dealership doesn't do the work doesn't mean its not good work. The dealership is not flawless either. The car is not under warranty so that is not an issue. Im more curious why one Manufacturer says use only this, the other only this etc. The motors and cooling system are same materials.

Last edited:
Hello, This thread did stray from the original question. I don't know why there are so many coolants either.
It has something to do with what the engine parts are made of, I think.

My 2¢ on mixing is to clean the system and use deionized (available from work) or distilled water.

Using either leaves the coolant clear; whatever color it is.

My friends use their hard well water and the clouding is visible at the reservoir within a month. Kira

I've switched my 2 Fords and my Dodge CTD to Peak Global Lifetime. It is a non 2EH formula, silicate and phophate free OAT. One of the only true one size fits all coolants I've been able to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back