Let's talk about stolen cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
MalfunctionProne,

I've got a 2007 Civic and wouldn't be surprised if they stole it even with my new company car Chevy Cruze right next to it.

At least the thief got a Honda instead of a Ford....

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Or Norriton. I forget. May have got that city wrong.

Definitely moving soon.

Norristown proper, is a little bit of a ghetto environment as well, but NOTHING like; Newark, East Orange, Paterson, Camden, or Trenton!!
31.gif

Yup! Newark, East Orange (gasp!) and Irvington has always been the Bermuda Triangle of Evil for those of the Caucasian persuasion, such as myself.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I've got a 2007 Civic and wouldn't be surprised if they stole it even with my new company car Chevy Cruze right next to it.

At least the thief got a Honda instead of a Ford....

Yeah, true that. If I was hitting a car, I would probably choose a Honda over a Ford as well.

Unless we are talking a Fox-body Mustang. Then the Honda can just sit there.
10.gif

Trying to laugh about this a little bit, Mr. LT4 sir. Cheers.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
I hear Honda Civics are one of the most stolen cars out there.

As a matter of fact, the Civic is the second most stolen car in the US, and the Accord is number 1. Also, the older models are stolen far more than newer ones.

I live near a Native American Indian reservation (Use to live on it). Most of the stolen cars from the reservation end up burned somewhere on a abandoned back road in the woods. Usually the Indian kids steal in town for a lift back home.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
So, did the cops ever find it? Any updates?

So far, it goes like this:

1. I call up Newark PD. I may live in the only city in the country where the cops sometimes do not pick up the phone. 973-733-6000 seems to be their only working number. Auto Squad number rings all day. And, sometimes, so does the main number..

2. I tell them my car was previously stolen,,and that I want to check the status. (Some have said that they wont call me, to increase fee for their tow company after they get it. Which is so low of them to do, IF they charge me storage for my car I had no control over. It was my understanding that recovery of a stolen car is the one time you are not liable, as you didnt steal it as per police report.)

3. They ask for my plate number.

4. I give it to them.

5. They say "It hasn't been recovered yet."

frown.gif

Here is a humorous stolen car story: When I sold my 2000 Taurus w/275K, I sold it to a coworker who bought it for his kids to drive. There had been a number of car break-ins in his neighborhood. One night, he got home and forgot to lock his car. He also forgot that he left a set of keys to the Taurus in the cup holder. He got up the next morning and found the Taurus gone and got a yard job at no additional charge.

Over a month later, he gets a call from the Sheriff department that they found the Taurus parked in a church parking lot. He grabs his extra keys and goes down. The car was not damaged in any way (although it did need a wash), nothing missing, and was left with 1/4 tank more gas in it than when it was stolen. He got in it and it started right up. He had full coverage on it (why I'm not sure) but his insurance company said that they couldn't total it because there was nothing wrong with it. So they paid $1200. to have the car re-keyed and re-programmed at the dealer. He is still driving the car to this day

When my car was stolen and later recovered, the tow and storage lot charged for their services (my insurance paid their fees). My insurance company hustled to move it to their lot. Then they slowed down.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Here is a humorous stolen car story: When I sold my 2000 Taurus w/275K, I sold it to a coworker who bought it for his kids to drive. There had been a number of car break-ins in his neighborhood. One night, he got home and forgot to lock his car. He also forgot that he left a set of keys to the Taurus in the cup holder. He got up the next morning and found the Taurus gone and got a yard job at no additional charge.

Over a month later, he gets a call from the Sheriff department that they found the Taurus parked in a church parking lot. He grabs his extra keys and goes down. The car was not damaged in any way (although it did need a wash), nothing missing, and was left with 1/4 tank more gas in it than when it was stolen. He got in it and it started right up. He had full coverage on it (why I'm not sure) but his insurance company said that they couldn't total it because there was nothing wrong with it. So they paid $1200. to have the car re-keyed and re-programmed at the dealer. He is still driving the car to this day

Sounds like a guy I used to work with- except from the other side.

When I knew him, he had calmed down significantly- but you could tell that he could get wild. Any way, we were talking about his younger days when he tells me one time he was walking down the road and saw a motorcycle parked in a drive and thought it'd be nice to take it for a spin... So he did. For a week. He drove it around and had a good 'ole time and when he tired of it, he brought it back- parked it in the same drive he took it from and walked off.

The whole stolen-and-driven thing happens around here a lot too. Aftermarket radios are another great way to lose the whole car, sometimes it's faster to start the car and drive away than to jack the head unit, amps, subs, etc.

Although it flies in the face of consumerism and your car being a reflection of who you are - do as little as possible to make your car an attractive theft target. Custom wheels, LED lighting, lift kits, lowering, etc are all like candy to a thief, and it tells them visually the difference between a car ripe with goodies to pick off and sell, versus a bone stock one with nothing to gain but a ride.

I had a nice lifted truck with the polished wheels, super swampers, custom leather interior, etc. (before I traded in on the F250) But I kept it parked in the country and drove the pos Saturn to the city to work.

Years ago, my brother had his '84 Cutlass stolen out of his apartment parking lot in Tampa. He figured the thief (or thieves) got in by breaking the small vent window in the driver's side rear door. There was glass on the ground where the rear door would have been.

He files a stolen vehicle report and goes about the process for getting a replacment vehicle. He was on his way to his credit union to sign loan papers and while waiting at a red light, spies an identical '84 Cutlass parked in a Circle-K parking lot.

He makes a u-turn and pulls into the parking lot, gets out and looks the car over. He notices that there's a dent in the rear view mirror, just like the one that his stolen car had. The tires were the same odd brand from Costco (Dad put on new tires for him before driving the car out to FL to give to him). He also noticed that frame of the rear door vent window was rusty; it was obviously not original to the car.....THIS IS MY CAR, he tells himself.

He tells the wife to call the police and goes inside to find out who owns the car.

The lady behind the counter says that was her car. She had bought it a few weeks ago.

The sheriff shows up and after getting the story about the mirror and tires, he tells my brother he needs concrete proof that the car is his. My brother tells the cop that a few days before it was stolen, he had put some paperwork under the mat in the trunk.

The cop opens the trunk, looks under the mat and there's the paperwork with my brother's name on it.

The car was dusted for prints and it turns out the prints that were lifted were of a known car thief. The detective that was called out was able to flip the VIN plate out of the dash with his pencil eraser.

The cops eventually busted up a car theft ring working out a body shop 3 blocks away from my brother's apartment. They usually chopped up the cars but in this case, they felt safe with selling the car whole because it had CA plates.

My brother got the car back, started to get regular checks from the thieves because he lost all his tools and some other belongings that were in the trunk. Every year since, he always had a hassle with registering the car because the VIN's were all SNAFU. He had to go get a signed affidavit from the sheriffs office stating that it was a recovered stolen vehicle.

The woman that bought the car? She was out the money she paid for the car. We never found out if she ever got reimbursed for it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back