Chevy Colorado Truck of year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote "The Ford F-150 didn't win because, although its all-aluminum construction is revolutionary, that didn't translate to improvements that customers would notice, Loh said. The truck is quicker and gets slightly better fuel economy than other trucks, he said, but the gains aren't huge."

I guess aluminum bombed after all.... The resale on aluminum F150's gonna be very bad.

Last edited:
I'd take a look at MT's pasttrucks of the year.

If you really think this award has any correlation to real world success you didn't really take a look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
They also picked the CRV as the SUV of the year.

No real reason to read motortrend these days.

BINGO

Some of the new tech is just not the answer yet. Next year Ford will be selling an all steel truck again and calling it an upgrade.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
They still make Chevy Colorados?

Thought everyone forgot about those along with Hummers (hello H3.)

They just started again after a couple years off.

So because Motortrend doesn't like it the whole design is a failure? I hope Motortrend never tells you to jump off a bridge! I wouldn't hold your breath on the resale value of an F150 dropping. The only thing that seems to be hurting that right now is the fact that Ram is actually building a decent truck for the first time in recent memory and they are still selling them for cheaper than Ford or GM's offerings.

All new 2015 Colorado/Canyon.Was recalled and a stop sales order issued right after they started selling them...

Not a fan of the new Colorado. Looks like a crossover with a bed.

Read somewhere the F150s fuel efficiency will increase by around 16%.. I would like to think that's a noticeable improvement for customers.

Go back through history on any of these type of awards. The winners are usually selected for reasons that have little to do with real world performance of the vehicles. And to say that aluminum bombed is a large stretch. Since these only recently started coming off the line, any claims about future resale are not based on any reality.

I still struggle with why I would want a smaller truck that now gets similar gas mileage to what the current full size trucks are supposed to deliver. Not saying smaller trucks are bad idea, just that a prime difference maker just appear to be there.

I like how they are trying to bring back small trucks, but they are repeating history.

The fuel efficiency gains are not enough to warrant buying smaller over full-size, they are still the size of a full-size truck that was produced 10 years ago, and they are only a few thousand dollars cheaper than a full-size.

I want a Honda Civic with an 8ft bed. Better yet, I want a Subaru Outback with an 8ft bed.

Toyota has it right, a tiny little 4 cylinder run-around that can fit a 4x8 sheet in the bed with the tail-gate up. I can fill the bed with materials and hardware and it works great. Residential materials aren't that heavy, and that's what people buy small trucks for.

The Colorado is huge.

The Tacoma was good ... until they got rid of the single cab. I liked the 2.3L duratec ranger with 5 speed manual transmission.

That's what 99.99999% of truck buyers need.

I like the diesel option is coming and that you can still get it with a manual transmission. Why I was shopping earlier this year I went with the Jeep but had the F150 or Silverado come in a work truck manual transmission package with nothing but 4wd as an option I would have gone with that.

The diesel option will net over 30 mpg highway and the gas 4 cyl will get high 20's. Thats significantly better than driving an loaded fullsize truck around getting 18 regularly.

Colorado...the truck of the year!?!
crackmeup2.gif

First its good enough to be given to multimillion dollar baseball players..now this
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I'll consider the diesel Canyon next year.

For those of us that live in states that salt the roads to death, aluminum has some appeal since it won't rust. I'd like to see an aluminum body and frame half-ton truck with a small diesel engine.

I sat in one at the auto show, it's a heck of a nice truck and GM did a nice job on the interior. They had a crew cab long bed and the proportions looked a little odd - it seemed really long. It might just be because it was inside.

If GM is smart with these, they'll lower the price a bit, they'll have a hit on their hands. People still want trucks, but they simply do not need full size.... I miss my S-10, and would like something I could 1) Fit my my garage 2) Good on gas (be fine with the 4 banger) 3) could still use it for family 4) Can take it to Home Depot After using one for a little while, I can see it doing well....

And take nothing away from the f150, but I think MT is waiting to see how the new frame does.....

The Colorado is way too big, looks like (as mentioned above) a crossover with a bed. And the bed is really small. I doubt a sheet of drywall would fit. It's also priced too high, just a little more gets you a real truck (Silverado).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back