Synthetic is superior...so WHY use conventional???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often scratch my head and ponder this question - why does ANYONE choose to use conventional oil since, I think, everyone would agree that (as a general rule) synthetic is just simply better? Is it just ignorance about the differences about motor oil and what a critical component of your vehicle oil is? I don't think there's ANYTHING a conventional oil is good for that a synthetic isn't better for, is there? Wouldn't the "worst" synthetic oil be better than ANY conventional oil or am I wrong?
confused.gif

I know there are some, perhaps unique, cases when maybe it makes sense to take the "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" approach or perhaps in some cases someone truly may not be able to afford a synthetic oil, or maybe it's a warranty requirement to use a certain oil, etc., etc. - I understand that and those cases. However, those aren't the instances I'm referring to.

Like I'm sure many of you, I belong to a few different newsgroups and I frequently hear people say things like "Ah...oil is oil - just change it every x miles and call it good - there's all pretty much the same." I also can tell that some of these same people LOVE their vehicles and will go to extremes to upgrade this and change that, etc., etc., but say "Oh, that's O.K., I'm only going to keep the vehicle until x date, so it doesn't matter, etc."

Is it me?...or do some of you ruminate on this topic also?

smile.gif

Ed

You are going to get replies from many who have stocked up and are hoarding conventionals, so, inevitably, what they have bought already is "better", to convince themselves and validate their choice.

The real answer is "it depends", on many factors. Price, OC interval, climate, driving habits, turbo or not, filter quality, age of vehicle, etc.

Cost. For the average driver he/she would not benefit by using the more expensive synthetic. It is only at the margin where synthetics pull ahead and 99% drivers do not operate their cars in this area.

Ed-I don't really understand either. Seems to me the oil is the 'life blood' of the engine and going cheap there seems foolish. At the same time folks maybe big $ spent for mostly 'bling'. That said, seems most lubes are better than years ago and continue to improve.

Why does anyone choose to drive a Volkswagen when a Mercedes is simply better?

I don't think there is anything a Volkswagen is good for that a Mercedes isn't better for, is there?

Personally, I'm glad to have choices available as a consumer.

Since I cook outdoors a lot, I'll make an analogy with beef.

I can buy USDA select, USDA Choice, or USDA Prime, but each tier typically has its own pricing for a given cut.

If I can find USDA Choice or USDA Prime at a competitive or even lower cost than USDA Select, can you guess which grade I'll buy?

Does this mean I completely avoid USDA Select? Absolutely not, especially when I find I can buy a whole USDA Select tenderloin at $7/lb.

How do you define "sufficient"? If the motor starts and runs?

Vehicles are very expensive - don't you want it to last as long as it can and run as well as it can? If so, I don''t think anyone would disagree that synthetic is better, do they?

Ed

Cost. And in some engines, the advantages of synthetics (high-temp stability, low oxidation rate, low NOACK, etc.) are never really called upon.

I don't think the "beef to motor oil" is a good analogy; you MUST use motor oil or your car won't run but you can be a vegetarian.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
How do you define "sufficient"? If the motor starts and runs?

Vehicles are very expensive - don't you want it to last as long as it can and run as well as it can? If so, I don''t think anyone would disagree that synthetic is better, do they?

Ed

None of my cars have died from a fluid related issue, so why spend more on motor oil when its rust that takes them out?
That said, I do run synthetic in the winter or when I change the oil myself, as the cost breaks pretty much even with an extended OCI.

I don''t think anyone would disagree that synthetic is better, do they?

I think deep inside they know this. Again, they want to try and convince themselves conventionals are the same as syns -- because they buy, stock, and use conventionals. It appears to validate their choice.

I have exclusively used synthetics for over 20 years. But......I understand why someone would use an inferior oil, if it was adequate to the task, and they are going to change it early, anyway.

"The point of diminishing returns" is the operative concept. I know Redline oils are better than Mobil 1......But I do not generally use them, because Mobil 1 is better than I need, for less than half the cost.

"Better" can mean more cost effective. Just sayin'.

Everyone would agree Kevlar would make a better shoelace material. For most, though, it's not worth the added cost. If your laces are outlasting your shoes what's the point in getting more expensive laces?

Don't get me wrong I can see both sides. But if you live in the rust belt and the engine will outlast the body 2 to 1 on conventional what exactly are you getting for your extra money?

Vehicles are very expensive - don't you want it to last as long as it can and run as well as it can?

Why do you assume that mineral oil won't let you achieve that?

Some peculiar use cases aside, synthetics are primarily beneficial in extended drains because then you save time (and money) as you don't have to service your vehicle as often. But you can achieve similar results by running a modern mineral oil and just changing it more frequently.

I live in a cold weather state. I do my own oil changes outside.So having an oil that will get me through the winter is a good thing.
I use synthetic and a good filter, cost is under $30.00.
I change the oil in both of my cars around October and my car is good until May or so.
My wife's car is good until the following October.
This is figuring about 7K miles on each change.
Now I could probably run conventional oil that long but the thought of starting the car on a minus 15 degree morning I just feel better with the synthetic in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back