PU 5w-30 API SN / 2,326 mi / 2012 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gillsy
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I have a 2014 WRX. Low viscosity oils can be a problem, and blown engines can result. Read NASIOC.

These engines need a very stout 5W-30 that does not shear or a 5W-40. That is all.
I just bought a 2014 normally aspirated Forester with a 2.5. Is this engine hard on oil as well? I'm not finding much info on it.
Regards,
Steven

32.gif

Hello thread hijacker.
smile.gif
No, the n/a Subaru's are generally easy on oil unless your user name is ARCOGraphite. Lots of info at subaruforester.org. The oil burning problems that you may read there should have been corrected by the 2014 MY. Pick any 0W-20 and don't worry, be happy.
19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
So, is this UOA proof that Pennzoil's new Ultra Platinum isn't as good as they advertise it to be?

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
So, is this UOA proof that Pennzoil's new Ultra Platinum isn't as good as they advertise it to be?

No, not at all. It did as well as expected in this application, IMO, and most GF-5 oils take a beating in a turbocharged Subaru.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

No, not at all. It did as well as expected in this application, IMO, and most GF-5 oils take a beating in a turbocharged Subaru.

-Dennis

Awesome! Glad Pennzoil is making top notch oil!

Originally Posted By: webfors
T5 10W30 - if you want to stay with a 30 grade in the south.
T6 5W40
M1 0W40

Boom. Done.

Thank you for the reply, but as I said earlier:

Originally Posted By: bicycle_wreck
I've already switched to Motul 8100 X-Clean 5w30 on this oil change. I won't be running Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 anymore.

Shell RT6 5w40 does not meet Subaru's new (post '11) warranty requirements--nor does any other 5w40, 0w30, or 0w40. Subaru wants 5w30 synthetic. I know a more robust 5w40 or 0w30 like GC would be great, but again, I am restricted to 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why do you have a WRX if you're gonna drive it like an old lady? UOA reports look good.

Good question, and that's what I kept asking myself! I drive it hard now, but I don't abuse it. (That's what she said?) Thank you for the feedback on the UOA, always nice to hear something positive.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

-Dennis

Awesome! Glad Pennzoil is making top notch oil!

I'm kind of morbidly curious what it would've looked like at higher power levels (downpipe + tune) at a 3K mile OCI. Or even driving it harder at a 7.5K mile OCI, stock tune/power.

That said, I would purchase/use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum again in any application--so long as you choose the appropriate weight for said application. I use it in my wife's Accord every 5K miles, no issues.

Thank you again, Dennis, for all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back