CERAMIC OIL ENGINE TREATMENT... Any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

Just stumbled upon this forum and with so many knowledgable members, I wondered if anyone had input on ceramic engine coating treatments. I was in Europe for several years and a friend swears by it, but I see there are few who use product in states, so not much info. on ceramic products. There are a couple I know of, surely similar, certainly performs better on static bearing friction tests than all others tested, so curious if anyone has used ceramic engine coating technology. I am always looking for the best products to extend engine life by reducing friction and always look for input from professionals.

Thanks,

Years ago they had graphite added to oil, Arco if I remember right.

While your friend swears by it has he really done any scientific testing? Or thats his opinion?

Consumer Reports tested oil many years ago in taxi cabs but I would guess it cost several hundred thousand dollars.

If it were any good Mobil/Exxon would have it available. They have the money, research labs, manufacturing, etc.

You could just pick an oil and trust the formulators to do their job and leave it at that. In fact there may be so many good choices on the market that it's more difficult to pick a bad oil then to pick a good one.

If you are concerned about your choice you can always try this.

Does this cermaic engine treatment not magicly coat the oil passages?

I understand it wears down between moving parts over time.

What about the oil passages that have no moving parts.

What would they look like after one or more treatments.

What effects would this have on the engine and its ability to lubercate with ceramic sticking on every oil passage in the engine?

I had added some of the LM Ceratec to the wife's VW rabbit last oil change. Standard, correct dose. The car developed an oil leak from the filter gasket, and not implying that this stuff caused it, BUT, I did find this:

2D03B90D-5C0D-435C-AEAE-434BA625E77E_zpsb6rfqxxh.jpg

B2DCF529-9A10-4F82-84B2-11523594E584_zpstui7dyrz.jpg

So stagnant locations could build up these sorts of particulates which could make a mess too... Just a little concern, based upon what I saw, FWIW. Not trying to speculate on that here, but just adding the thought process here.

^^That would be the first and last time I use the product. Trav and I have discussed this in great lengths. His experience with the product in a compressor stopped him from using it as well. Opinions vary.

JHZR2's photos make me wary of using this. There are many places in an engine that this could happen. If that occurred in a canister filter housing, it could happen on top of cylinder heads, lifter valleys on v-x engines etc.

JHZR2, what is that larger particle in the last photo? is it part of the seal of the canister or filter?

Since I am not a chemical/materials engineer, I resist adding something to my engine which has reputation of being extremely hard material. I consider ceramic oil treatment similar to "fine sand oil treatment" or "diamond dust oil treatment". Probably completely irrational to somebody who knows more about material sciences than I do.

By the way, please note the OP's name and joining date. I am sure a spam is coming very soon!

Originally Posted By: Vikas

By the way, please note the OP's name and joining date. I am sure a spam is coming very soon!

I was thinking the same thing.......

Originally Posted By: NANOTECH
Greetings,

Just stumbled upon this forum and with so many knowledgable members, .

Thanks,

aah good catch, and 2 hints above, especially the patronization!

Originally Posted By: Donald

While your friend swears by it has he really done any scientific testing? Or thats his opinion?

Consumer Reports tested oil many years ago in taxi cabs but I would guess it cost several hundred thousand dollars.

If it were any good Mobil/Exxon would have it available. They have the money, research labs, manufacturing, etc.

There are loads of scientific testing reports by SAE done in the 1970's; the advantages of solid lubricants are fact. Major oil companies don't like them mainly because of logistic problems and deposits. Also cost is an issue. Check these reports: SAE 750674 / SAE 780597 / SAE 780984 / SAE 750677

im banking in the "ceramic treatment"not being very effective/having trouble selling in NA/europe because...

why would a 30 USD product be selling cheaper than 25USD across the pacific? (inclusive of shipping...)

I smell something very amiss

Originally Posted By: Donald

didnt chunks of the graphite destroy quite a few engines?

I regularly drive a 400 mile round trip down the Central Valley in Ca. in my well maintained 1992 Mercedes 190E 2.6. I would consistently get 24mpg trip after trip. After adding LM MOS2, I consistently get 26mpg. Anecdotal I know, but I'm a believer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back