Castrol lovers...what's the difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some 0w30 online for our standby generac generator... Was supposed to be german castrol...They handed me castrol edge SL A3/A4 made in Belgium and castrol edge with SPT SL made in Germany. Same or different?? Different bottle labels of course

Same thing. Castrol just recently switched the manufacturing facilities. The made in Belgium stuff newer, and might (or soon will) contain titanium. Not that it matters to your generator.

Nit answering ur post, but I also have a Generac (2 cyl LP 16kw) and have been using PYB 5-30 mostly. Mine just ran 15hrs on Thanksgiving!!!

Question for me is, are you doing yearly change? I am. Using auto filter? I am. Do you expect a difference in a synthetic over a conventional SN oil?

I'm just asking because I'd love to hear from another owner what their thoughts are. I've had mine since late 09 and I'm only at like 250hours. My fill home allows me to see a whole valve, it it SPOTLESSS and looks factory new.

I appreciate anything you share.

So you bought two quarts and one was made in Germany and one in Belgium? I would ask them to give you two of the same style bottles so that you get the same additive make up.

We have a first generation Guardian from 2006 or so. 15kw LP. The manual calls for full syn 5w30. I do annual changes and use auto filters as well. I got the german castrol because that and HDEO seem to be the oils of choice for air cooled equipment through my research. These oils greatly reduce consumption during long power outages. I know pyb is good stuff, but I wouldn't use conventional in this application personally as I wouldn't trust it in the event of a major storm with days of run time in high heat. I plan to use GC or HDEO on a 2 year oci going forward with an oversize filter like an L14477 purolator equivelant which will allow an even 2qt fill. My research has led me to this strategy

I should add that the generator was already here when we bought the house. It had been unoccupied and it was exercising per normal for well over 2 years with no maintenance. The oil was clean looking but sorta gummed up and nasty and sorta lumpy. The fill looks spotless now but I've done some short interval drains to clean it. Runs great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back