Is Royal purple worth the extra $$?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO:

'Back in the day', yes. (Synerlec/API SL RP was supposed to be really great stuff, especially at the ~$4-5/qt they used to charge).

Today, no. Not for $9+/qt. Not without that magical 'synerlec' stuff.

The SN rated quart bottles of RP are similarly priced to quart bottles of other syns at Walmart...approx. $8 a quart.

The 5 qt. jug is not discounted like the other syns which makes it expensive at $37.XX.

When I look at the VOA of RP it looks very similar to Valvoline Synpower which can be bought for much less (especially the NAPA syn. version). I can't see paying the premium for RP syn oil over Mobil 1, QSUD, PP etc...

Royal Purple ATFs, gear oils etc...are also pricey but they may be worth it...I'm not sure because I have no way of comparing.

I have Royal Purple presently in my Expedition and I can report that it likes it. The new SN stuff. A lifter tick went away upon first start-up with it, and it feels smooth. Also quiet. So, I think of it favorably. I agree that the Royal Purple formulation has changed.

I bought it from Amazon.com in a 5-quart jug, to get it for the least possible.

The oil is no longer purple, but dark brown, turning black. It is also very easy to see on a dipstick, from virgin. People greatly overlook this.

I have used RP products for the last 4 years. no problems. pricey... Got mine on pretty good discounts... I'm out now... used last 4 quarts this fall in the aveo. I also used the RP marine 2 stroke in my merc optimax and it ran great. again pricey but I had good discounts...
In the future I would probably try and scrounge up the HPS with the synerlac stuff... That is what i first used and that really was nice.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Royal Purple is bottled unicorn tears. Be aware.

And it can cure cancer. Don't forget!

lol.gif

HPS still has Synerlec and, at east according to their facebook page, all their oils are predominantly GrpIV. Including the API certified.

No, not really. Any name brand oil will do.

I remember once when my son had his first car I check the fluids and told him he needed to add oil.

Long story short next time I changed it I noticed he had 3 bottles (2 un-opened) of detergent free motor oil.

Asked him why he picked the type in particular. His answer was "it was the cheapest they had".

Royal purple motor oil is simply a bait and switch.

Use to be great oil at a competitive price now its OK oil at a horrible price.

I never cared for the purple 'Royal Triton' I tried in the 60's-couldn't see it change color/darken over time. That's still a 'yard stick' for me with motor oil. So I'll staying with those 'clear' type synthetics!

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I never cared for the purple 'Royal Triton' I tried in the 60's-couldn't see it change color/darken over time. That's still a 'yard stick' for me with motor oil. So I'll staying with those 'clear' type synthetics!

Well time to update that old way of thinking. These modern oils can still look newish but be spent and some conversely get dark fast and still have plenty of life in them.

Bottom line, don't go off looks. Go off UOA testing and mileage so we aren't wasting OR running depleted oils.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Royal Purple is bottled unicorn tears. Be aware.

And it can cure cancer. Don't forget!

lol.gif

And some here still cannot resist mindlessly bashing a very, very good product that IS competitively priced.

RP is worth it if bought on sale. Keep an eye for the occasional sale offered by Pep Boys where they pair up 5 qts of RP with an RP filter for $39.99

Is Royal Purple better than Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum? I seriously doubt it. As long as you change your oil and filter regularly, I have come to the conclusion that you can use any quality synthetic and be ok.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

'Back in the day', yes. (Synerlec/API SL RP was supposed to be really great stuff, especially at the ~$4-5/qt they used to charge).

Today, no. Not for $9+/qt. Not without that magical 'synerlec' stuff.

In the past, RP "with" was bashed because it "was not up to date" with the latest certification (it was SL, which allowed a better stronger add pack).

Now, its criticized because its "without" to meet the latest certification, which is more restrictive.

RP gets a raw deal here.

Originally Posted By: WillB
Is RP worth paying the premium for? Gesr oil? trans fluid? engine oil?

The real question is if it's worth it to you. I can get a good deal on RP stuff, and can get the motor oil for a bit cheaper than M1. Here, too, I found the gear lube to be a bargain. However, at most retailers, that won't be the case. Take a look at RP at Partsource. It's priced right between M1 and M1 EP. However, when it's on sale, they don't cut as much off the price as they do with other offerings. On the other hand, I don't chase CT's and WM's and Partsource's sales any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back