2012 Honda Accord Auto transmission question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Accord V6 sedan with the automatic transmission. I bought it new and it has 33,000 miles on it now. I noticed that when I back up and then shift to drive a split second after the car starts to move forward you can hear moderately loud "chick" or "clink" sound coming from the front end. I think it is the transmission because it does it right after backing up, shifting to drive and moving forward. I can not feel anything at all and the car seems to drive well and shifts 100% perfect.
It does not make this sound all the time(but most of the time) so that is why I'm concerned. It has don't this for as long as I can remember but my warranty is up soon so I better find out for sure what this is. Thanks for any help!

My 2008 Pilot does this as well. I was not happy about it back in 2010 when I got it certified used, but nothing has gone wrong and I really don't even notice it anymore. Try to give it another brief moment before driving off after you shift.

I had a 2008 CR-V that did the same thing; Reverse to drive made a metallic "clunk". Never a lick a trouble with the transmission for 112,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
My 2008 Pilot does this as well. I was not happy about it back in 2010 when I got it certified used, but nothing has gone wrong and I really don't even notice it anymore. Try to give it another brief moment before driving off after you shift.

I come to a full stop before shifting to drive. Never one of those "rolling" shifts.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
I had a 2008 CR-V that did the same thing; Reverse to drive made a metallic "clunk". Never a lick a trouble with the transmission for 112,000 miles.

Could you feel the "clunk". Mine is only a sound and no feel to it at all.

A family members '05 Accord 4cyl. does this too.

An audible click after shifting into Drive. The noise comes from under the hood and is heard more than felt.

No problems so far.

Maybe it's the ABS running the diagnostic check. My Camry does exactly what you are describing.Fifteen feet of forward motion and the ABS pump motor and solenoids all run.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Maybe it's the ABS running the diagnostic check. My Camry does exactly what you are describing.Fifteen feet of forward motion and the ABS pump motor and solenoids all run.

That's what I was thinking. The doors also lock at ~5mph but that wouldn't be heard under the hood.

I would check by driving the car for a while and see if it still does it. First drive of the day the systems test themselves.

My 2006 Accord 2.4 does the same thing when shifting into drive. I hear many Hondas making the same noise. It will make an even louder noise when putting it in reverse on occation as well.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I have a 2012 Accord V6 sedan with the automatic transmission. I bought it new and it has 33,000 miles on it now. I noticed that when I back up and then shift to drive a split second after the car starts to move forward you can hear moderately loud "chick" or "clink" sound coming from the front end. I think it is the transmission because it does it right after backing up, shifting to drive and moving forward. I can not feel anything at all and the car seems to drive well and shifts 100% perfect.
It does not make this sound all the time(but most of the time) so that is why I'm concerned. It has don't this for as long as I can remember but my warranty is up soon so I better find out for sure what this is. Thanks for any help!

Never noticed a clunk when I put mine in reverse, will check today to see if I hear anything.

It's a typical Honda trait in their automatic trannies! My '88 Accord did this as did our '95 Accord. I also heard some first generation Saturn's doing this same thing. I watched a guy pulling out of his parking spot in his SC2 Coupe and when he put the tranny in "D", it made the same sound as my Accord(s). H'mmmmm!

I never had issues with older Honda automatic transmissions. They were a bit crude and shifted fast even if a bit hard/harsh. No amount of different ATF's changed this in my older Honda's nor did any fluid modifiers.

But, the trannys lasted forever but, could become tiresome during slow city driving with lots of up/down shifting. On the highway, the downshifts were OK and I didn't feel as much harshness at hiwy speeds going from 60-80 mph or higher. It just wasn't an issue while cruising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back