Another snow blower added to the fleet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I've been watching for a new 2-stage machine in the 26-28" range for a year or two, given how tough last winter was, and how the current one started out. There's been little/no selection in my area given the 70-80" of snow we got two weeks ago. Pretty much everyone sold out. Searching online, I saw a local Home Depot got in a bunch of Ariens Sno-Tek 28", 208cc machines for $699. I picked one up today. Still got my trusty 1999 model year Yardman 7hp, 24" you can see to the left. Not sure what's going to be the primary and backup machines yet, but I intend to keep two from now on, amongst the equipment I tend to buy, fix-up and sell (mostly re-home LOL). Sorry about the messy garage! That's next on the agenda.

Anyway.. I've physically gone over the Sno-Teks in the past, and I really like them compared to anything else in this price range. Pretty good for the money.

Might be a foolish question on my part, but is 208cc enough to move the heavy wet stuff a sizeable distance? I glance from time to time as I'd like to upgrade from the 5 or 5.5hp one that I have but never pull the trigger.

Another 50-100cc would be great for sure, but I've used this size/cc range machine in my conditions before w/out much issue. I'd say it's equivalent to an older 8hp flat-head in terms of power.

I wouldn't have bought new either, but I've got to do some needed TLC to my ~15yr/old machine.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new addition...!

Anxious to hear how you like it... Heard this was a great unit

Don't mind the garage... I figure as long as you can see a portion of the concrete floor, it's clean

Does it surge at full throttle/ light load? Those usually benefit from a carb main jet opening up.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Does it surge at full throttle/ light load? Those usually benefit from a carb main jet opening up.

Hopefully not. I haven't run it yet.

CR magazine gave the Sno Tek good ratings a few years ago. Like the remote drivers adj up/down for the flap on the discharge chute and the clean-out tool mounted on the bucket. Wish I had both on mine.

Congrats JTK. I'm sure the unit will do just fine if you are patient with it and don't push it too hard in the heavy stuff. My Ariens is a 28" path and has a 250cc engine ... and I still wish it had a bit more. I think they are afraid of more power bending things ... just a guess.

Here in the residential parts of Albany, we have a lot of people that have money (this is the seat of a bloated state government) but very little know-how. People regularly patrol neighborhoods with pick-up trucks as residents will leave equipment, etc ... that they cannot get to work at the curb. The don't sit for long. Some people must have a pretty good business fixing up and selling equipment of all kinds.

I have done this with vacuums left in or next to dumpsters in my complex. I'm easily over a dozen rescued-and-repurposed in the last few years. I don't sell 'em, just give 'em away ... but I'm glad others seem to be making a living (or at least some good beer money) fixing off others' cast-offs.

I checked it over, fueled it and started it this AM. One frustrating anomaly is the complete lack of markings on the engine oil dipstick! Nothing but a metal strip on a cap. Per the Sno-Tek/LCT engine manual, there's supposed to be a full mark, and there's also supposed to be a low mounted plastic oil fill cap with a stick. That's not there either. Just a boss on the aluminum block where one *could* be. It's your typical 16oz fill, so I'll have to scribe a mark on the first oil change.

The engine fired up on the second pull (didn't test E-start yet) and all the controls and functions work smooth and silent. The engine is pretty smooth and quiet as well. No oscillating RPMs at this point. It's your typical all or nothing, no throttle control engine.

The only adjustment I want to make before using it, is to lower the skid shoes a bit. I like to keep the shave plate 1/8" or so off the ground. It's set super close, if not touching.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Another 50-100cc would be great for sure, but I've used this size/cc range machine in my conditions before w/out much issue. I'd say it's equivalent to an older 8hp flat-head in terms of power.

I wouldn't have bought new either, but I've got to do some needed TLC to my ~15yr/old machine.

Thanks for the insight. And congrats on the new machine.

Indeed this LCT 208cc does have a secondary oil fill/check plug low on the block. I missed it as it kind of blends in with the belt guard. I didn't remove it yet.

Something else funny.. The Kenda Polar Trac 15x5 tires were aired-up to 30psig. I thought they were a little stiff. LOL. Sidewall says 20psig max. I've got them at ~12psig or so.

This machine has 2 grease zirks, one for each auger half, which I assume just helps prevent the augers from rusting to their axle? Weird, because they rotate with the axle shaft, unless a shear pins shears of course.

Last edited:
Sorry about the messy garage! That's next on the agenda.

Ah man..........you got leaves in your garage when it's fall time..........how could you?
grin2.gif

I have the 24" version of this snowblower. It's been great and always starts within 2 or 3 pulls.

This machine has 2 grease zirks, one for each auger half, which I assume just helps prevent the augers from rusting to their axle? Weird, because they rotate with the axle shaft, unless a shear pins shears of course.

Yep, that's the way the augers are supposed to function. When it comes time to grease them for storage, you should remove the shear pins and pump in grease as you turn the auger by hand.

Thanks threeputt, that makes sense. I've been using MTDs so long, I didn't even think about that. The augers on my older MTD have stayed free/clear with never being touched aside from replacing shear pins. I am getting some play at the auger shaft-end bearings and some slop where the auger shaft comes out of the worm-gear.

Merkava- LOL! I didn't even think about the leaves. The only space carved out is right around the snowblowers at the moment. My kids tore the garage apart digging out sleds and whatnot when we were snowed-in for that week.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
I have the 24" version of this snowblower. It's been great and always starts within 2 or 3 pulls.

Good to know. It's funny you don't see many of them out there. The Home Cheapo I bought mine from had one on the floor and 18 in stock, when they had about a dozen various MTD machines on display for more money. Anybody looking, was looking at MTDs.

I have nothing against MTD machines, given you can get one for the right price. To me, they're simple and easy to work on and will last given thoughtful usage and care.

However, these Sno-Teks are definitely built more robust in comparison. Real bearings and bearing housings. Bigger springs, nice linkages with bushings.. Huge friction disk, etc..

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
On these chinese engines with the unlabled dipstick, I fill them up until oil leaks out the side. Always works perfect for me.

Good call there. I'll try for the recommended 16oz fill and see if she dribbles.

I got the use my new Sno-Tek 28", 208cc for the first time today.

In all my years of home ownership and snowblowing, I've never had to be careful not to throw snow all the way over onto my neighbor's driveway, and this was at the plow-mound! This baby chucks some snow and is a pleasure to use.

We got a paltry 6-8" of heavy stuff last night.

The LCT 208cc has a louder, harsher exhaust note than my older 7hp OHV Tecumseh. Kind of a snap-crackely note when loaded-up, where the Tecumseh has more of a low-toned exhaust.

No complaints in terms of power with this average snowfall, but sure, another 100cc would be nice.

A definite two thumbs-up at this point.

Just an update on this 28" Ariens Sno-Tek after about a month of ownership and about 3-4hrs of usage (used it 3-4x).

The engine has seemed to quiet down a bit. Not that it was overly loud, but is seems quieter now that it has broken in a bit. It starts on the first pull every time I've used it, and doesn't require the choke for more than a few seconds and it settles right down. For today's equivalent of ~6hp (208cc), it's plenty powerful. Just for comparison, my old Yardman with a "7hp" Tecumseh OHV, this engine is something like 180cc, so back when they used to over-rate the HP, apparently over-rated quite a bit.

One oddity is the auger engage and wheel drive engage levers are on opposite sides compared to all the MTDs I've used, so that was awkward at first.

I have to say again, I am amazed at how far this machine will throw snow compared to all the MTD and ancient machines I've used. I can throw snow clear across the road with it.

For a small 12" impeller, Ariens makes a killer setup.

IMO, for the price of an Ariens Sno-Tek, it makes little sense to me to pay more money for an MTD machine, having compared the two machines at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back