2007 Ford Focus Motor Mount replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RW1
Thanks. I see there is a YouTube video on it as another poster suggested. Might be worth taking a couple of days leave to do it.

You won't a couple of days to replace your MM. From start to finish It took me about 1 hr.

I'm about to do the same mount R&R on an 2006 Focus with 90K. A lot of annoying rattles from under the dash that have steadily worsened. All the symptoms point to a mount that's on the way out. Fordparts.com lists them for $130 approximately.

Many videos exist showing replacement. Like was stated in another post, it looks to be an hour or so when DIYing it. Just be sure to support under the engine with a hydraulic jack and piece of scrap wood to protect the oil pan.

When I had the passenger mount replaced on my '11 Focus, I couldn't hear or feel the car running. It was amazing!

... then I put in a polyurethane dogbone mount and undid that!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
When I had the passenger mount replaced on my '11 Focus, I couldn't hear or feel the car running. It was amazing!

That's the way my Focus is. Smooth as an engine can feel. As for the dogbone mount, if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.

Originally Posted By: tig1

That's the way my Focus is. Smooth as an engine can feel. As for the dogbone mount, if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it.

Do you find the engine is sloppy if you get on and off the throttle in the lower gears? Or get wheelhop with even slight spinning of the tires? I suppose with an automatic it wouldn't matter much, but even for semi-spirited driving, I find the slop annoying with the manual. I went for the softer polyurethane dog bone mount, so we'll see how that works. On rock auto you can get dog bone mounts for $11-15, so if its too bad, I'll try one of those.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Do you find the engine is sloppy if you get on and off the throttle in the lower gears? Or get wheelhop with even slight spinning of the tires? I suppose with an automatic it wouldn't matter much, but even for semi-spirited driving, I find the slop annoying with the manual. I went for the softer polyurethane dog bone mount, so we'll see how that works. On rock auto you can get dog bone mounts for $11-15, so if its too bad, I'll try one of those.

One of my longstanding complaints with the car was, that if I took off in 1st gear, I would have to give it gas or the engine would bounce and flop around.

Even after the passenger side mount was replaced, I'd still feel quite a bit of slop as the engine and trans bounced around.

With the stock dogbone mount, if I tried to launch or take off quickly, it would just wheel hop. Now, with the polyurethane dogbone mount, it either grabs and takes off or just spins; no more wheel hop at all.

I really love it. Completely different driving dynamics. The part I like the most is that I can feel EXACTLY what the clutch is doing. Makes taking off from stop lights much better.

Dang was going to wait but threads like this one is talking me into it! Both need replaced on the 02 though. Put the trans in gear and hit the gas a couple times, no wonder the crankcase ventilation hose keeps popping out. At least on the Focus the whole engine doesn't lift up and tap the hood on every gear like 86 Cavalier did. Just going with aftermarket and making sure the engine is settled before tightening everything down.

I used a Ford replacement mount on my 2009 Focus with a manual transmission a week ago. Made a big difference, engine appears so smooth now you cannot hardly tell it is running. Took less than thirty minutes and no foul words were needed. The YouTube video is spot on

Also, I bought mine from Auto Zone as they have a life time warranty. The MC MM didn't seem to last so I went with AZs. Price, $120 but I won't have to buy another one.

Lucky!

AutoZone'reillyBoys did not have mine

NAPA was $254.00

I couldn't get it from an online Ford part dealer. The Fusion part is totally different. It's the first Mazda unique part to ever fail on my car. Everything else that has failed has had "FoMoCo" emblazoned on it.

Mazda wanted $125.00 online and $200 at the dealer

Rolled the dice and got a Beck Arnley. Almost every Beck Arnley part I have ever bought has been a repackaged OE part. Not the mount though. It was an "Eagle" mount.

the busted hydraulic mount made the engine groan like an idler pulley going out. Quiet and smooth now.

If it lasts 170,000 miles like its predecessor, I'll be more than happy!

So replaced the motor mount on my 02 this weekend. Definately can tell it was bad but didn't replace the dogbone. The problem now is even though it's quieted down now there's a vibration pretty much all the time except when you first start it! It runs ok wonder if the crankshaft damper is bad.. it does have a wobble.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
So replaced the motor mount on my 02 this weekend. Definately can tell it was bad but didn't replace the dogbone. The problem now is even though it's quieted down now there's a vibration pretty much all the time except when you first start it! It runs ok wonder if the crankshaft damper is bad.. it does have a wobble.

I'm not sure if a crank balancer can cause significant vibration with a wobble, but replace it ASAP anyway. It will soon throw the serpentine belt. Also, if it isn't functioning properly, it may increase stress on the crankshaft and shorten engine life.

Actual found the cause.. a spark plug wire popped off. Took a few miles to clear up though. Guess there was a little carbon build up. Still going to replace the dog bone eventually. It's back to being a poor man's Cadillac.

Just helped my son change his on his '03ZX5...night and day difference for less than an hours work. His mount is a little different from the '07, but still the same result.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back