Monster Jam downunder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno if racing is really the correct forum, but just got back (12:45AM) from the first ever Monster Jam in Oz...was great fun

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Dunno if racing is really the correct forum, but just got back (12:45AM) from the first ever Monster Jam in Oz...was great fun

Really? First ever, of any kind of Monster Truck performance, or just the Monster Jam namesake?

We've had "monster trucks" in the country, usually one or two at t a time, and sort of a car crushing sideshow to some other show.

Most of the ones that I've seen have been mechanically disappointing, although there have been a few imports in the last few years of some more high end stuff... e.g. http://www.monstertruckpromotionsaustralia.com/index.php/monster-trucks/tassie-devil

This was the first ever Monster Jam event

Well, glad you enjoyed! They've certainly come a very, very long way. I remember watching when I was a kid. Old school trucks, old school axles, limited suspesnion travel and not the greatest valving, so the trucks bounced a lot, and broke suspension and driveline parts often. Modern trucks have very high tech suspensions, and make as much or more power than they did back then. How they launch those things 20 feet in the air, and then land them with no bounce is a huge testimate to the engineering thats gone into them in the past 20 years.

The dynamics were all pretty impressive, as you say (way better than the leaf sprung, cleveland engined "Scooby Doo" that performed here in town 5 or 6 years ago)...they smashed them all to bits at the end 'though.

Just got back from our second Monster Jam (they've done a tour of some of the capital cities this time).

Really good fun, the children spent the school closed for snow days this week making posters (daughter likes MadUSA and Son likes Gravedigger).

We got pit party passes this time, but Madusa and Gravedigger lines were filled and closed.

Son then decided could we line up with Son uva Digger, and Ryan Anderson was really cool with him, signing the programme, shirts, and his homemade poster, with "It's a Digger, it's family, as long as it's digger, it's good"...son was chuffed.

Will have to pry the posters out of their room tomorrow, but he also had autographs/photos with Tod LeDuc, Damon Bradshaw, Marc McDonald (Big Bash KFC truck, a cross promotion of a cricket series) and the better half managed to get Gravedigger after we were hunted out of the pit pass.

Daughter was sad that she couldn't queue for Madusa, but waving her home made poster around as the pit party was closing down, she got a sig in spite of not being in the line.

You guys sent a bunch of very very nice people down here, and we had a ball.

Something we did different this time was catch public transport to the big smoke (free if you show your ticket to a major event).

Drove to the next town down the line (they get twice as frequent train service as this town).

80 odd miles each way, three trains each way with transfers.

Got home 15 minutes later than we did last year driving...saved $25 fuel $35 parking, and a whole heap of agro.

Big Bash/KFC (cricket competition down here) was supposed to be an Australian entrant, but was as American as they come, driver and all...

There are some "monster trucks" that tour the fairs etc. but they are usually ladder frames, and monster leaf springs (and in one case, a tired looking old cleveland engine)...there are rumoured to be a couple of "proper" trucks in the country, but I've not seen them.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Big Bash/KFC (cricket competition down here) was supposed to be an Australian entrant, but was as American as they come, driver and all...

There are some "monster trucks" that tour the fairs etc. but they are usually ladder frames, and monster leaf springs (and in one case, a tired looking old cleveland engine)...there are rumoured to be a couple of "proper" trucks in the country, but I've not seen them.

True, but you guys have V8 Supercars and Utes. I have seen a few matches from the KFC Big Bash, good series. I think the IPL is pretty entertaining with the imported cheerleaders.

I have taken my boys to Monster Jam three times. Noise cancelling headphones are the way to go. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back