Toyota 2uzfe V8 5w30 or 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Toyota oil chart, the 2003 Toyota Sequoia I have can run 5w20 (original spec 5w30). Normally, I run M1 5w30 and change every year or 7.5k. This vehicle is only used for long trips (>100mi) or towing the 3500lb boat 20 miles on flat terrain about 5 times a year. The vehicle has 120k miles.

Since this vehicle is mostly used for interstate travel, would I see a significant improvement in mpg if I run 5w20 or even 0w20? Right now it gets 17.1mpg according to the digital readout. I've only seen 1 person run 5w20 in the same engine in a tundra running Valvoline and the 3 uoa showed about 1-2 ppm iron wear increase.

Last edited:
I do not believe that you would "see" a differential in mileage changing from the 5w-30 to the Xw-20, from what I have seen around here at BITOG. I personally would continue running the 5w-30 in the Sequoia based on the climate there in Phoenix. Here in Texas I run 0w-30 in my 3URFE Tundra that is spec'ed for 0/5w-20. If you want to give it a try do a UOA on both in the summer and compare the two.

Toyota recommends 5W-40 Syn or 20W-50 dyno outside NA. They shortened OCI to 5k miles after specking it to 5W-30. I am not advocating for thicker oil, just something to keep in mind. That particular engine is great, seems like it doesn't care..

Im running 0w-20 in my 2UZFE, currently am getting nearly one mpg better than I was this time last year. I had 5w-30 Ultra in this time last year.

It runs silky smooth with the 0w-20. I prefer the 20 weight oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back