Formatting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The details first; laptop running Win Vista Home Premium. A few months ago, I d/l'ed a file from a website that I thought was legit. It was for getting rid of some notification or something like that. Well, it turns out that it wiped out my laptop. The onlt screen I got after d/l'ing then turning it off then on, was "Boot disc failure" So now I ordered some recovery discs,ran them and I don't think that it did a true ,complete format. I did have to enter c.o.a. number. I do recall that one of the screens stated something about still having "windows.old", probably as a partition. Now, it does appear now with no icons at all. I ran the Avast! a/v before anything and it did find 2 infections. So, my question is, how can I redo the format and make sure it's a full format? Thanks.

There will be an option on the recovery CDs for a full restore and to not save data, use that. It has to exist since these will work on blank HDs.

Burn to CD Darik's Boot and Nuke, (DBAN).
Boot from the CD and wipe the disk (choose the simplest wipe option, no need for the DoD multipass option).

That would work but its just easier to pick a full restore/wipe from the recovery disk menu.

I don't remember seeing a full restore option where it mentions it will erase everything.It does mention something about "windows.old "and having some type of access to it.

I think I finally got it.I ran the driver disc also but it still does not connect to web.I've tried wire and wireless and nothing.what else now?

Did you plug in a network cable?

under device manager is there any yellow ! symbols

Originally Posted By: Rand
Did you plug in a network cable?

under device manager is there any yellow ! symbols
Yes,plugged cable in,nothing. Yes, device manager has Coprocessor,Ethernet controller,Network controller,SM bus Controller,and 2 unknown device.I tried the drivers from HP and it said that i need framework 3.5,so i saved it on flashdrive,ran it and i still see exclamation points.I'm now running framework 4.0, but it's taking more than 10 minutes so far and it's in the same spot with the green progress bar.

ok, after 5 more minutes of waiting, i get ".net framework 4 client profile has not been installed because: download failed with error code 0x800c0005

you need to install the drivers, usually a restore disk has them installed. Did you use a regular windows DVD?

goto the computer manufacturer's website download all the drivers for your model onto a usb drive.(on a working computer obviously)

install them.

should get rid of the yellow ! and everything will work.

Last edited:
I finally got it going somewhat better after reformatting again! Now, it does updates all the time. It seems that it keeps doing the same ones,like they don't take.If i adjust the laptop display brighter,it'll stay like that,til I turn it off.Then it's back to low again.Sometimes it seems to run slow and then I get the " internet explorer is not responding.Sometimes I'll turn off automatic updates,and I'll still have updates ready to install.It's always "installing updates,1 of 3",before it turns off.I've went to HP and did a driver check and i d/l'ed whatever it needed. Man,I'm ready to just take this laptop and slam it on the ground!!!! Win Vista laptop is HP cq50-110US

I used to check the updates to see if i needed any after doing updates and i would get a message stating that all updates are current,or something like that. I can check it a day later and have like 20-30 updates needed again. This has been going on for a few days now. I went into update history and i counted 116 download failures,yet sometimes it'll say no updates needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back