Toyota OEM vs Mahle Air Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for a 2001 toyota celica which filter should i use? i can get both genuine toyota filter and a mahle filter for similar price. which one would you go for?

getting rid of the k&n panel filter i have since iv read they just make engine oil dirty and are just rock catchers.

Hello, In the first place, I don't know.
I think both are very good quality products.

With no "decision making" (no facts in my skull) at all I'd pick the Toyota filter. Kira

I second the OEM choice. The ONLY reason not to use OEM replacement parts is price. If prices are similar then go for OEM.

ahh ok thats good then, i thought mahle may have been more efficient than oem toyota in this case, but as you say i will just pick up the OEM filter.

I also affirm the OEM (Without attaching a number to my response).

The reason that I recommend it is, Toyota had a filter philosophy, at least in that era, that the air filter should filter to an extreme degree, but the oil filter could allow particles of a larger size. Theory apparently was, if it doesn't get into the cylinders in the first place, it won't cause wear.

I don't use OEM oil or oil filters on my Toyotas, but I have always used the OEM air filters. No oil consumption after 250k miles, on two different 4runners, nor my 100k Tacoma.

thats good to know, im learning through this forum. and i feel like a fool for getting the k&n filter in the car. but never again.

I'll say this - I recently purchased a Mahle air filter for a Skyactiv 3. The filter material feels very similar to what you'll find on an OE Toyota filter. Of course, without actual testing, there's no way to compare the two - but offhand, they *appear* quite similar.

I doubt you will ever realize any difference between any quality built filter for the life of the engine. Toyota filters seem really nice though.

I use Frams and change every 20-25,000 miles. I have 3 cars that all take the same air filter so I buy them by the case on Amazon and get free shipping. Easy. when I clean my throttle body at 120-140k it is always pretty clean.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I use Frams and change every 20-25,000 miles. I have 3 cars that all take the same air filter so I buy them by the case on Amazon and get free shipping. Easy. when I clean my throttle body at 120-140k it is always pretty clean.
I quit fram air filters when my applications started to be made in China. That is a big turn off for me.

Who is the OEM? Where does this OE Filter come from? (don't say it comes from the dealers, I mean the manufacturer markings on the filter itself)

Without knowing the origin and efficient specs of the OE filter, I'd prefer to use Mahle. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't...

As far as I know, oem toyota air filters are made by Denso, the particular one for my scion says made in the USA on it. The factory filter that came in the car was Denso, looked exactly the same but said made in Japan on it, which is also where the car was built

The Amsoil graph on oil filters has maybe poisoned the well on everything. Amsoil knows quite a lot about things, but I think Toyota/Denso know even more. The Denso filter for my daughters Camry is made in USA and for my other car it's made in Japan. They say three layers. I wouldn't use any other kind in these two cars, it's an easy decision. My Chrysler though I start looking at the boxes and reading them.

Will the Mahle *really* be an Austrian-made Mahle? European-brand parts for Japanese cars are sometimes reboxed OEM or more often third-world junk.

In this case, go OEM, unless you're SURE it's a real European-made Mahle.

The OEM Toyota filter is probably US-made (possibly Japan, but probably USA)

It's also worth checking out Denso brand. OE supplier but cheaper than buying from the dealer.

thanks for the input guys, im in the UK by the way,
iv ordered the original toyota filter from main dealer, its about £1 more expensive than the mahle.
good thing to know they do high mileage, for some reason autoparts stores staff always say to replace air filters every 12,000 miles. dunno if its the rule for aftermarket filters only?

Filter manufactures and auto parts stores almost always recommend 12,000 miles for air filter, but car manufactures recommend a much longer change interval upward 36,000-48,000 miles.

I think in a not so dirty environment where the car is operated most of the time the filter change interval can be extended upward 60,000-70,000 miles.

The air filter in my 2004 Honda S2000 is original, after 11 years and 51,000 miles it still looks decent without much dust, I will leave it in for another 20,000-30,000 miles.

The air filter in my 2000 MB E430 passed 50k miles also, and last I checked about 5-6 months ago it was very clean with little dust on the filter media. I will leave it in for another 15,000-20,000 miles.

ok i picked up my filter on friday, and indeed it is a DENSO made in USA one.
ditched the k&n and now using genuine Toyota part. k&n was fairly clean but then its only done around 4000 miles.

I replaced the EOM filter in my Tacoma with a Mahle. UOAs showed a drop in Silicone.

I could see traces of dirt around the seal of the OEM, which is why I changed it. The gasket on the Mahle is softer, and seems to seal better.

I'll never use OEM again, and always look for Mahle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back