Christmas Candle Table Centerpiece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

My wife has seen one of these and has endeavoured me to make one. Seems like a very simple design which could me made with a table saw (to create the flat bottom) and a drill/hole saw.

What wood would you choose for this? In Texas, we have lots of pines (rough bark + sap), oaks and pecans (rough bark), cypress (rough bark), gum and cedars (peeling bark and sap)--none of these would look as nice as the smooth/light colored wood example show below. I know that Aspen has smooth bark.

What else? Thanks in advance for your input to this decidedly off topic question.

5-680x1024.jpg

The picture looks a lot like what we call a holly tree in these parts. Smooth bark, light wood and they grow like weeds around here.

Pine would be okay, except like you say, sap would run from a fresh cut. And while it would smell nice, I would be afraid it would make a pretty stick mess.

Oak would be heavy with a thick bark.

Any chance you have camphor trees growing in your neck of the woods. They have a smooth bark and a light wood. The have a strong smell which some people don't like when fresh cut, but that dries into a mellow aroma after a couple of weeks.

Cedar would be really nice both for the workability of the wood and the smell. You could even peel the bark before drilling the holes for the candles and enjoy the rich colors of the wood not to mention the aroma.

Where in Texas? Maybe Elm? Trunk might be rough, but should have some limbs that are smooth-barked & big enough. Holly as mentioned above should be good, & ironwood too.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
The picture looks a lot like what we call a holly tree in these parts. Smooth bark, light wood and they grow like weeds around here.

Greecguy - would have any photos of the holly? We have holly here, but it is a shrub/bush as compared to a tree.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Where in Texas? Maybe Elm? Trunk might be rough, but should have some limbs that are smooth-barked & big enough. Holly as mentioned above should be good, & ironwood too.

Houston area; mostly pines around here, with some oaks, cedar (which I just found out she is allergic to), and various firs.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Greecguy - would have any photos of the holly? We have holly here, but it is a shrub/bush as compared to a tree.

Sorry, I don't. But you can google "Florida Holly Tree" and you'll see what I mean. Some of the pictures show the small bush you're talking about, but the ones I'm talking about grow on low land, sometimes out in the swamp and they get to be rather large. Bark is smooth and the wood is very light and light colored. The leaves are a medium green when mature and they produce red berries in the fall.

If you have any low swampy ground in your neck of the woods, now would be the time to check it out and see if they grow in your area.

If your wife is allergic to cedar, then stay well away from Camphor trees - they have an extremely strong odor when first cut - even more so than cedar.

Do you have any China berry trees in your area. When young, they have a smooth, red bark and as with holly, the wood is very light - almost white. I have a bunch in my backyard that I keep wanting to cut down but simply haven't gotten around to it. They make clusters of green berries and are quite a messy tree, but they grow rapidly and provide good shade in the summer.

BTW - don't confuse the Holly with the Brazilian Pepper. Not sure if they have them in Texas, but they are consider an invasive tree here in Florida. While the Brazilian pepper does produce red berries, the leaves are different, small, narrow and pointed at the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back