M1 0w-40 is synthetic in Germany again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trix
Is 'New Life' w-40 product distinct from 0w-40 Euro that we've all known and come to love?

Walmart seems to only carry the 0w-40 Euro right now.

It is called "New Life" in Europe.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Is 'New Life' w-40 product distinct from 0w-40 Euro that we've all known and come to love?

Walmart seems to only carry the 0w-40 Euro right now.

It is called "New Life" in Europe.

This oil gets more and more magical. Potentially is the same oil we see here in the US.

HTHS took a small hit, wasn't it up to 3.8? Stated as 3.7 now.

Where are you seeing the 3.7 number?

I'm quite interested to see if they DO in fact update the marketing material/labelling (and you'll note Trav has stated he DID see M1 0w-40 labelled as vollsynthetische while in Germany but was unsure as to whether it was new or old stock)

I sure did and posted it. I found it strange because for a time it was labeled SHC but now this stuff with full synthetic on the label again shows up on the retail shelf.
Next trip i will go hunting and try to get some date codes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

There could be some oscillations in formula and base oil used between refineries in Belgium and US even if it's not on purpose.

Well I am seeing different numbers. Here is 3.8.

http://www.mobil.com/Turkey-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_New_Life_0W-40.aspx

Here is 3.7

http://xom.ee/files/279_glxxenpvlmomobil_1_new_life_0w-40.pdf

Same ASTM test.

The one with the 3.7 is the old API SM formula. It's been out of retail circulation for quite some time now. Note the date of that document is 2007.

When XOM started selling the new VISOM-based SN formula, HT/HS changed to 3.8.

Well I am seeing different numbers. Here is 3.8.

http://www.mobil.com/Turkey-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_New_Life_0W-40.aspx

Here is 3.7

http://xom.ee/files/279_glxxenpvlmomobil_1_new_life_0w-40.pdf

Same ASTM test.

The one with the 3.7 is the old API SM formula. It's been out of retail circulation for quite some time now. Note the date of that document is 2007.

When XOM started selling the new VISOM-based SN formula, HT/HS changed to 3.8.

Good call, clearly I am not versed on this oil. 0w40 New Life is the over seas brand. 0w40 European is in the USA. Both meet BMW and VW specs. New formulations have been SN. New data sheet came out indicating a potentially more impressive composition.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am familiar with this oil in Germany so i hope the color and smell of the stuff gives it away. I will buy some this coming week.
Not much to go on or scientific but if its too light in color that would be a dead give away.

To my eye, it is not a light oil. It's mid amber and shows easily on the dipstick. Much richer in color than any other oil I've used, Euro or not.

What should the smell be like? I didn't take a sniff at all.

Yes it is darker than most other oils, at one time Castrol Germany used a red dye in it to make it more attractive.
That was until more automatics appeared then they stopped fearing it might cause some confusion. Their MC formula is still red colored.

It has a slightly fruity/sweet odor, thats the best way i can describe it. I doesn't smell like a fruit bowl like some car waxes, just a slight hint.

German0w40MSDS.JPG

That's from the new MSDS for M1 0w-40 in Germany, dated November 21st, 2014. It shows 50-60% PAO now.
smile.gif

??? Looks to me like Polyolefin is less than 5%??

Originally Posted By: weasley

No it doesn't. If it was "full synthetic" they would label it "Vollsynthetisch". They don't though (at least on the latest German web information). They label it "HC Synthese", which is German marketing speak for Group 3.

I was under the impression that the base oil just had to be majority; >=50%. It is 50-60%. There is no requirement for Mobil to change the labelling however and they may not have as of yet to reflect the base oil change. I'm sure this MSDS is newer than their labels. SOPUS STILL hasn't updated the PU Euro 5w-40 labels to say SN and match their PDS's and it has been two bloody years!

If you check out the Castrol Germany MSDS for their 0w-40 (which is labelled Vollsynthese):
http://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/A8C6292185F353A780257D7A00745BB7/$File/BP%20EU%20CLP%20SDS%20-%20Germany%20DE-Lubes%20Europe-Castrol468367-DE01German%20%28DE%29.pdf

It shows 25-35% 50cSt PAO and 25-35% of another type of PAO with CAS # 157707-86-3. That makes it 50-70% PAO at the most, reinforcing my understanding of the labelling requirements.

Originally Posted By: weasley
They are all "mixes". They have to be. The thing was that this oil was NOT majority PAO for some time. VISOM replaced PAO as the dominant base oil. This appears to have now changed.

They don't "have to be" mixes - it is perfectly feasible to make a full PAO (and/or ester) oil which would qualify as "Vollsyntetisch".

I don't think you are following what I'm saying or you are being intentionally obtuse
wink.gif
All oils are mixes. You are welcome to run straight PAO in your engine but I'm doubting the results would be desirable. Blenders use a mix of base oils, additives...etc to achieve a given performance target and yes, some oil companies will use more synthetic base stocks than others as a part of that percentage but it is still a balancing act. Even back in the day when Mobil was using only PAO; back when VISOM didn't exist, the oils wouldn't have been all PAO. There would have been some percentage of other base stocks in there to deal with solubility and other things.

That said, I'm sure there are oils on the market with a much higher percentage of PAO as the primary base oil blend. Their own EP 0w-20 is ~70% for example. But this is a change in this particular product and an interesting one because it was switched away from being PAO-based to being basically entirely VISOM based and that change has now been reversed.

I'm quite interested to see if they DO in fact update the marketing material/labelling (and you'll note Trav has stated he DID see M1 0w-40 labelled as vollsynthetische while in Germany but was unsure as to whether it was new or old stock)

I just ran across this on Amazon. It was in 2013.

This review is from: Mobil 1 14520 0W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil - 5.1 Quart Jug (Automotive)

As a PhD scientist who spent 33 years in lubricants R & D, I really get a kick out of all of these "laymen" comments which are generally not very accurate, but surprisingly sometimes actually do give a hint of some reality. As a result I feel compelled to make my own expert comments to clarify things for the laymen. BTW, 23 of those years were spent with Mobil working on "synthetic" lubricants.

FOA, "synthetic" is just a term. For one thing, one can make a really lousy "synthetic" lubricant from high-quality PAO base oils, or a really good lubricant from the new "hydroprocessed" base oils (Group II, II+, III or III+ base oils) - it all boils down to the additives. Without additives none of the hydrocarbon base oils are very good as lubricants; with PAO probably being the very worst from an actual stability standpoint. But, it just so happens that with the proper set of additives, a skilled lubricants formulator can make really good lubricants with PAO; but they also can with high-quality hydroprocessed base oils as well.

The lubricant producers formulate to meet the requires specifications by balancing the base oils and additives synergistically and at generally the lowest possible cost (to maximize profits). For wide-crossgraded products like a 0W-40, one needs base oils with good low temperatures properties and a flat temperature-viscosity profile (generally referred to as VI or Viscosity Index). Although hydroprocessing can create base oils with these attributes if one begins with the right feedstock and uses just the right transformation processes (like starting with a slack wax and doing isomerization dewaxing and hydrofinishing). In fact using the right processes can actually create base oils better than PAO from the VI standpoint, but not so easily producing the low temperature properties, unless a process like the MSDW-II process, a highly-selective isomerization dewaxing process, created by Mobil, is run properly to a low pour point product. For economic reason I don't believe they actually do that, at least not to my current knowledge. I know because I initiated the work that created this incredible process and know all of its capabilities.

Anyway, in order to meet the viscosity specs of SAE J300 for a 0W-40, most formulations today would require some Group III or III+ base oils along with some PAO to slip within these difficult set of specs. But, that doesn't matter other than for the viscosity of the oil; the quality of the oil is basically totally dependent upon the performance of the additive system. And, Mobil 1 has traditional always been formulated with the state of the art additives in a synergistic balance to produce the best possible lubricant product. One reason being is that it cost nothing extra because the PAO base oil and the additives are a price wash.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
German0w40MSDS.JPG

That's from the new MSDS for M1 0w-40 in Germany, dated November 21st, 2014. It shows 50-60% PAO now.
smile.gif

??? Looks to me like Polyolefin is less than 5%??

http://www.cpchem.com/msds/100000010950_SDS_EU_EN.PDF

CAS # 68037-01-04 (Dec-1-ene, homopolymer, hydrogenated):

Quote:
Synfluid® PAO 4 cSt

It is a 4 cSt PAO base oil. If you look up the CAS # you can find a number of manufacturers that produce it. Examples:

http://www.atitest.com/html/products/documents/1800101_HPAO-4SDS.pdf
http://soltexinc.com/pdf/MSDS-Polyalphaolefin-2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,40,100-08_10_11.pdf

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Obviously I'm not looking for a 12.5 TBN high ash oil anymore.

What is the Mobil CJ-4/SM replacement for the old Esso XD-3 0W40?

Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 is their replacement for that. Imperial Oil even issued a bunch of posters and charts for the rollover. The TBN of that product is closer to 7, though. The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 has the higher TBN to meet the ACEA specs it lists.

And, to the others, with respect to labeling, I did notice something interesting when I was checking my garage stash a while ago for labeling information for the Total VOA thread. I had some Castrol 5w-50 in stock, and it, just like GC, was labeled for sale only in the Americas. Now, it would be nice to know if that's the case for other select Castrol offerings (i.e. 0w-40, 5w-40), or if it's across the line, including GTX. My first guess is that it's simply a language issue, with Spanish, French, and English all being on at least some of the bottles in question.

I think it's something the manufacturer puts on to discourage the grey market.

Also plausible is that there are slight blending variations to account for fuel quality differences.

For the noobs like me, how can you tell what is the new 0w40 compared to the old sn version?

Originally Posted By: Xtc6k
For the noobs like me, how can you tell what is the new 0w40 compared to the old sn version?

I don't think we can
frown.gif
In Germany, the labels may change. But that won't be the case here IMHO.

Its threads like this that confuse many posters. On other threads, Grp III 'syn' is discussed as being every bit as good as PAO, yet here, we are all gushing over the possibility of M1 0w40 now being, and EDGE now bringing, PAO to the U.S. and Canada. Am I missing something?

BTW, just came back home from WM. Had to get some of that 0W-40 EDGE which is still $21.xx .
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back