0W-20 on cars calling for a 30 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see what the "butt dynos" say when a few motors get scattered because of this thin obsession. Likely the butt dyno will say it's feet hurt, please get thicker shoes.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
It will be interesting to see what the "butt dynos" say when a few motors get scattered because of this thin obsession. Likely the butt dyno will say it's feet hurt, please get thicker shoes.

I will not lie, I used to think exactly as you do in this statement.

I no longer do.

If the OEM specifies xW-20, it would not be because they expect an huge number of grenaded engines for this would cost them money and reputation in the end. Not to resort a strawman argument that Shannow detests, but since the induction of xW-20 oils, just how many failed engines have there been--butt dyno not withstanding?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

If the OEM specifies xW-20, it would not be because they expect an huge number of grenaded engines for this would cost them money and reputation in the end. Not to resort a strawman argument that Shannow detests, but since the induction of xW-20 oils, just how many failed engines have there been--butt dyno not withstanding?

I'm not talking about when the OM specs 0W-20 - that's fine. Even subbing 0W-20 for 5W-20 is fine. But 20 wts in 30 wt & heavier applications may cause problems down the road. Most people won't do it, so I'm sure whatever failures that may occur will be infrequent. At least the 0W-20s are all synthetic or semi synthetic which will certainly help, but as a rule, I feel going thinner than recommended is not the answer. Very little upside.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

I'm not talking about when the OM specs 0W-20 - that's fine. Even subbing 0W-20 for 5W-20 is fine. But 20 wts in 30 wt & heavier applications may cause problems down the road. Most people won't do it, so I'm sure whatever failures that may occur will be infrequent. At least the 0W-20s are all synthetic or semi synthetic which will certainly help, but as a rule, I feel going thinner than recommended is not the answer. Very little upside.

Thanks for the clarification; I am in full agreement with your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back