When Will Motor Oil Prices Drop??

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you know, "Oil" prices have dropped, big time.

There's other factors of course, but when will Motor Oil prices drop "some" as well?

Accountants are employed to make a company money and they probably wouldn't let it drop too far. Most of the cost of manufacturing motor oil comes from the refining, the additives and the shipping costs anyway. I feel the only way to get cheaper motor oil is to buy it only when it is on sale. Black Friday TropArtic at Orschelns (under $2/quart) or Peak BOGO oil at Dollar General (came to about $1.70 quart) come to mind. These are probably not the brands you had in mind, but they were some good buys for people who wanted a cheaper priced oil.

I suspect we will just see more sales, so the baseline pricing remains. Case in point, the aap $23 edge synthetic plus filter deal.

Yup just like when there's a glut of tires there are rebate specials, I bet there'll be "temporary price reductions". The PP/ Shell FRN fiasco comes to mind.

What I really want to know is when will diesel prices drop? Gasoline around here is $3.17/gal (premium), and diesel is $3.79-$3.99. That 20% price difference really hurts the operating economy of a diesel.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yup just like when there's a glut of tires there are rebate specials, I bet there'll be "temporary price reductions". The PP/ Shell FRN fiasco comes to mind.

I wouldn't necessarily call the Shell FRN a fiasco. I got $80 of fuel for 39 cents and about a 2-year stock of PU. Shell is still running the Fuel Rewards Network; I get e-mails from them every few weeks.

Last edited:
motor oil prices won't drop. what are you smoking?
in the news, exxonmobil will post record profits again this year. lol

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is a joke right? Americans get $100+ a gallon engine oil for $25 for 5 qts and wonder when the price will drop. LOL

Stated another way: A $40 per barrel drop in crude prices translates to a $0.25 per quart drop in the cost of motor oil. Don't spend all the savings in one place.

They've dropped before. Around here, some dropped ~15% last summer and have risen just a bit since then. Not sure they will go much lower unless crude remains at current levels, or less, for at least a few more months.

As far as Americans getting $100+ a gallon oil for $25, the $25 figure reflects the true cost (and some profit) to produce and deliver the product to consumers here. I don't presume to know what makes a similar product 4X the price elsewhere. But it may not necessarily be due to differences in the true cost to produce and deliver the product.

Last edited:
IMO - prices will drop - especially after the 1st of the year if crude prices stay down. It's a competitive market - brands will try and grab market share. I wouldn't be surprised to see regular M1 for $19 & change at Walmart. Only if crude stays down or goes down further. WTI above $80 probably won't do it - below $70, yes.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: eljefino

I wouldn't necessarily call the Shell FRN a fiasco. I got $80 of fuel for 39 cents and about a 2-year stock of PU. Shell is still running the Fuel Rewards Network; I get e-mails from them every few weeks.

Not a fiasco for you
laugh.gif
but when people are stealing codes off caps at walmart, forcing shell to require receipts to be uploaded, they kinda became a victim of their own popularity.

Originally Posted By: bruno
The real joke is Europeans paying insanely high prices and not realizing they are being robbed !
If we look around we will find so are we.

Originally Posted By: bruno
The real joke is Europeans paying insanely high prices and not realizing they are being robbed !

The real joke is that you think they're being robbed, but those higher taxes goes toward government funding on things like health care which we don't really have over here. Plus higher prices means they drive smaller cars on average than over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back