alternative to blackstone vacuum pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Labs has a vacuum pump for $30 - http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

But, then couldn't a simple syphon pump such as http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Super-Siphon-Custom-Accessories_9040012-P_N3185_A%7CGRP2068____ be used?

BTW, the Blackstone page says use the oil dip stick....why not just take the oil filler cover off and take it from there...any difference?

BTW, would there be any "difference" in UOA from testing a sample like this, over say, collecting the used oil as you are draining/changing the oil?

Basically, will the potential 'contaminants' that would be in the 'drained' oil, turn up in the oil pumped out of the dipstick or oil filler hole and vice versa?

some oil fill holes have a baffle plate beneath, so oil dipstick is the easiest/best way more often.

AMSOIL also has a sample pump. What material of construction is that syphon pump?

Oil Stick would take it directly out of the oil pan, oil filler cap brings it up through the cams, lifters you would get less out because a lot would get on components.

Any pump would work but the beauty of the blackstone pump is that no oil ever touches the pump. So you can use it over and over without any contamination. I just use a fresh piece of plastic hose for every sample and then throw away the hose each time. Works very slick and no contamination.

Yea, I saw the AMSOIL pump too...if I recall it was similarly priced (either at, or above the price of the Blackstone Pump).

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What material of construction is that syphon pump?
Not sure about that AAP one....but found another similar on Amazon for a couple bucks cheaper, that specifically states it's oil/gas resistance, if that was your concern? :)

I would think the AAP one would be oil/gas resistant, since what else would a person shopping for one at an auto parts store use it for? :)

@saaber1:
Good point, I get what you're saying. from what it looks like a lot of these cheaper pumps, the oil eventually will make it's way (in)to the bulb.

But, for a UOA, were talking about only 4-6 oz. of used oil. And the pumps I've seen online come with like 6 feet of tubing lol. Now, I'm not that good at the mathematics, but I don't think 4-6 fl. oz. of used oil would make it up to or into the "bulb".

Originally Posted By: Carbon
I calculate 17.7 ft of tubing 1/4 inch ID would hold 6 fluid ounces. Of course I could have mis-calculated.
You just need enough to siphon, 6-8 ft. a 25ft roll of nylon 1/4" tube was 2.98 Clear vinyl is about the same.

About 15" more than the dipstick length works for me. I guess I could work with less.
21.gif
THD has the tubing for like $3-$4 for 25'.

Awesome alternative. Helped me get the oil out, when i had the wrong type of pump (bought from PepBoys). The only problem i ran into was because of cutting the tube (Dipstick length + 6 inches + 3 ft more). I inserted dipstick length + 6 inches of tubing, as recommended, and it worked out perfectly. But, This total length was not enough initially because the oil would not siphon out, unless the tube was at ground level - essentially lower level than the other end that was sitting in the dipstick oil. So, i had to cut another length of tube. I am guessing that i had about 4.5 ft, that was showing outside the dipstick top, while taking the oil out of my honda civic. Wanted to add my 2 cent, to make this thread useful. Current price at HD for 25' is about $4.50.

Last edited:
In my lastest sample to Blackstone labs, i used the following trick that worked perfectly.....

Bought a siphon hand pump from amazon that had .25 diameter in/out ends. Bought 10 ft of 0.25 inch (ID) tubing from HD. Cut about 4 ft and push into the oil dipstick area (after driving car for about 10 minutes, and resting 5 mins to prep stuff). The hand siphon pump will pull out slowly as you pump it and the initial oil can be pumped back into the oil fill cap area of the engine. This removes any sediment and stuff that may come out initially. The pump is slow enough that i can pump a bit more into the sample collection bottle. After sample collection, the oil that is in the tubing was pumped back into the engine oil fill at top. Very little oil was spilt outside in this process, which can be avoided if you are super careful about how you position the outlet tube into the engine oil cap opening.

Bought some kerosene at HD. It was put into the Blackstone labs sample box (black one that you mail in to labs). It took me just one fill of kerosene into that box, and use that kerosene to clean out the hand siphon pump. I did not even remove the 2 tubings attached. The tubes and pump were all cleaned out and now i can reuse the same thing for my next oil collection (being careful to discard the initial oil that goes through this setup). Comments on this method welcome - this is the cheapest method that i have found for UOA sample collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back