How long do you keep your cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely buy new cars, just about one every ten years the last few cycles. My SRT8 I may keep forever.

Fleet vehicles are replaced due to age or financial situation, we are occasionally offered deals on equipment that are amazing. Pays to be able to carefully evaluate the TRUE COST of ownership, not just fuel usage IMO.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We are careful with out cars, so damage doesnt really come into play, unless someone hits it. Rust can be a factor, but newer cars from mid-90s on dont seem to have the same issues.

So we keep our cars a long time. Until a lot of things break so they start to look shabby (paint always looks good, but other stuff starts to get the aged look). Right now Im in a crux because all our cars are decent other than my 91 BMW DD (rust), but we want/need a minivan. I have enough cars already. So now what? Im not keen on taking hits on value when they are all very usable. I own them and full coverage isnt that much money.

Maybe do an even swap. Someone on Craigslist. Swap a car for a minivan. You may luck out

Reading all of these posts, I see ONE big thing that comes into play more than accounting else.... RUST RUST and MORE rust!!! Mechanicals can be dealt with, but rust is the "deal breaker"

Luckily, rust isn't a concern where I live and I keep my vehicles for as long as I possibly can. I have a major drawback - attachment.

I'll be going on 13 year's on my Tacoma. Though about selling it and buying another one but fears on possibly loosing my job has prevented that.

Originally Posted By: babyivan
Reading all of these posts, I see ONE big thing that comes into play more than accounting else.... RUST RUST and MORE rust!!! Mechanicals can be dealt with, but rust is the "deal breaker"

Thats a simple fix; oil spray the vehicle each year and no rust. my 15 year old explorer is rust free.

I really don't understand how anyone who plans to keep a vehicle and lives in the north would not oil spray there vehicle. Boggles my mind...

The second oldest in our fleet- now my wife's son's- is the '95 Grand Am. It currently has 291,3xx miles on it and still has the original transmission! Rust is hitting it hard now, but it may make it to 300K.

I've really only gotten rid of a vehicle if rust or major damage come into play ... usually mechanical stuff isn't too big of a deal to me, but never really had any of my vehicles have a major failure, some I ran up to 250k+ miles

Here's what I've owned and why I got rid of it:

1986 Tempo - Deceased, replaced with:

1994 Saturn SL - Traded in at 100k due to massive blowby on Cyl 1 + 3, used anti-foulers to take the dealer for a ride on trade-in for:

1996 Grand Prix - My shortest-lived car, started to nickle-and-dime me to death. Traded in for a brand new:

2004 Grand Am - I loved the 3400 Series II in this guy. I was hoping to keep it forever but inherited a popup camper in a divorce that I needed to tow, so I traded it in for:

2007 Sante Fe - My favorite vehicle. I'd still have this if not for my massive commute. 24mpg was not sufficient at the time. This was swapped even for:

2007 Toyota Yaris - This is my current daily driver. This car will soon be used as something for the teenagers to drive so they don't destroy our main vehicles. This will be replaced next spring with a Dodge Charger.

2008 Town & Country - This is our current child mover. We will have the vehicle for a very long time. It's now rarely driven since the wife works from home.

I haven't kept cars for very long but I've also had changing circumstances as well. The current crop of vehicles will probably be in my driveway for a very long time.

An accident or huge repair bills are the only reason I'll part with a vehicle. Otherwise I plan and maintain my cars to keep forever.

Past:
1989 Volvo 740: 336k, totaled in an accident
1994 Volvo 960 wagon: 166k, sold due to repair expense
1998 MB C230: 156k, totaled in an accident

Current:
1993 Volvo 245 Classic: 83k
2004 Volvo V70 base: 91k
2007 Volvo V70 base: 118k

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I drove an $800 saturn 11 years then sold it for $500.

When it was time for me to let it go it had rust starting in the "tin" of the rear door sills. (Car was still structurally sound.)

The driver's window regulator slipped off track and I had to help align the window to close it the final inch.

The radio randomly switched to preset 3 if I slam-shifted into 2nd. I just made preset 3 my favorite.

The driver's seat was a different color from a different car as the foam was worn out on the original. It had 241k miles.

The exhaust was a series of patches, though it held. Flanges rotted out so straight pipe went in, which hinders future repairability.

Tires were used, and three different brands. One rim was alloy, the rest steel.

The spring for the rear wiper wore out, so it just sticks out and waves, not clearing the glass.

I put up with all this but when the clutch or synchro for 1st gear wore out and I could only snick it into gear when rolling 2 mph, I said enough was enough.

The car was good to me, I re-ringed the motor at 175k and did all the struts at the same time. It got a donor subframe with less rust, all new front-end. The AC worked until I sold it. It was a classical case of fix what's needed, but don't blink to get something newer when "X" happens.

Haha...this brings back some memories of the "personalities" of worn cars. I remember my dad had an old rusted 1980 something Nissan pickup that had rust straight through the drive door. The few times my older sister would be driven to high school she would duck out of view of the window so her friends wouldn't see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back