A question: 2 cycle oil and octane level

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think happen to the octane level when you add 2 cycle oil ?

It increase or decrease ?

And why ?

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind knowing myself since I add TCW3 2 stroke oil to my cars fuel and need a high octane to stop it pinging.
That link above basically takes you back to this page and there aren't any answers on it

I use TC-W3 in my 87 and 96 Dodges with the 318 and get no pinging at all with 87 octane.
One ounce per 5 gallons of gas.
Been using it several years with no bad effects.

Let's get real. At one ounce per 5 gallons of fuel are we really suggesting at that treat rate there is any measurable effect on octane.
I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Let's get real. At one ounce per 5 gallons of fuel are we really suggesting at that treat rate there is any measurable effect on octane.
I doubt it.

That was my thought.. That seems to be the ratio that most of that use it stick to.

At once ounce per 5 gallons would you even notice much effect? I know that is the standard recommendation because people noted rough running engines with anything more, and no effect with anything less, but I add at least double that! I really can notice a huge difference in smoothness especially at high revs where I no longer get the harsh thrashing and vibration. I also believe it increases compression slightly (same effect as a wet compression test, as well as lubing/unsticking the piston rings)
I get noticably better fuel economy too, and less pinging
I have had no problems running it at a higher concentration, pulled the plugs and they look perfect, no rough running or anything, quite the opposite actually
I say do it anyway, it can only have benefits if you start off at 5oz/gal and add a bit more if you feel like it.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
At once ounce per 5 gallons would you even notice much effect? I know that is the standard recommendation because people noted rough running engines with anything more, and no effect with anything less, but I add at least double that! I really can notice a huge difference in smoothness especially at high revs where I no longer get the harsh thrashing and vibration. I also believe it increases compression slightly (same effect as a wet compression test, as well as lubing/unsticking the piston rings)
I get noticably better fuel economy too, and less pinging
I have had no problems running it at a higher concentration, pulled the plugs and they look perfect, no rough running or anything, quite the opposite actually
I say do it anyway, it can only have benefits if you start off at 5oz/gal and add a bit more if you feel like it.

I've experimented with tc-w3 right up to 100-1 in my other truck. It holds 100 litres fuel so I'd add a litre and fill up.
I found that at concentrations stronger than 200-1 there was a negative effect on fuel economy as well as sluggish operation. I attribute it to possible sensor fouling because of incomplete burning at cold starts and so on.
In fact I tried every treat rate combo out there and settled on roughly 1/3 litre per 100 of fuel. It's at that point,in my experience with that particular test mule,that richer gained no mileage vs leaner treat rate.
But every vehicle is different. I'd be inclined to go back to 200-1 in a non emission equipped carbureted engine.
I don't like spending money for no gain,so I wanted to establish at what point there was no more gains to be had. Funny thing though with tc-w3 once you go too strong mileage seems to be negatively affected in a computer controlled engine.

Nice! Thanks for the info. My Falcon is my daily driver which has a 70L tank and I add 150-200ml when I fill it right up so it's ratio is no more than 1:350
smile.gif
seems to be working good so far!
I heard it has cleaning properties too, don't know if anyone can confirm this

I use 2 cycle oil in the gas, but not tcw-3.

In my opinion at very low ratio is true that there is no significative difference on the octane rating, but maybe the preigniction problem LSPI (low-speed engine pre-ignition) that the new engines are having can be helped.

I think that adding small quantities of oil in the gas you lower the evaporation of fuel and you better the atomization of the injectors.

In my car I can feel better combustion of the gas with all the benefit connected to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back