Pennzoil ultra euro vs pennzoil ultra platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm confused I have a VW 2.0t and I am looking for a oil better than most, I see pennzoil tests showing higher cleaning and protection rates than castrol, valvoline and even mobil 1 so now in doing some digging and have gotten confused. There's pennzoil ultra euro Ferrari recommended at 5w-40 and pennzoil ultra platinum at 0w-40, my curiosity lies in the 0w-40 weight because that is the weight my car seems to like best. So does pennOil ultra platinum have the same blend as pennzoil ultra euro and it's just marketed differently or are there differences to them besides that? Also I have not seen a PU euro in 0w-40 does that exist? And I heard pennzoil is making a PU platinum euro blend, anyone know it? Or if it comes in 0w-40? Also any info as to these two oil group ratings 3,3+, 4 as we'll as uoa's and voas would be appreciated

In case you haven't seen my reply in the other thread you posted.... (please avoid multiple postings, BTW)

Ultra/Platinum is GTL based. I would put it in group 3+ category, although that's an unofficial classification.

The oil previously known as Pennzoil Ultra Euro is now marketed as Pennzoil Platinum Euro. I haven't seen any VOAs/UOAs on it yet. Feel free to send one in for analysis, if you can even find it.

PP Euro 0w-40 grade is new, and as far as I know, no one has ever actually seen it (yet).

As for your engine, M1 0w-40 will work in it just fine, is easy to find, and inexpensive. I'd just use that, unless you can find a killer deal on PP Euro. Take that Pennzoil marketing with a grain of salt.

I didn't catch the other thread response but thank you for writing in both. So I guess I'll have to test pennzoil platinum euro and see if I'm car likes, it, it might throw it up lol and yea m1 seems to be the most consistant and has the best reputation for a VW 2.0t

Originally Posted By: Paulyfe12
I didn't catch the other thread response but thank you for writing in both. So I guess I'll have to test pennzoil platinum euro and see if I'm car likes, it, it might throw it up lol and yea m1 seems to be the most consistant and has the best reputation for a VW 2.0t

Those tests you are referring is marketing by Pennzoil. Mobil1 claims same, Castrol same,Valvoline same.
I was biggest fan of GC 0W30. However, considering price, and performance of M1 0W40, save yourself money and invest difference in brakes, tires, and use M1.

Your right, I guess the whole "Ferrari oil" thing intrigued me as well as the claims. My last names Ferraro, so sue me :p but your right mobil 1 has been good to me ANSI did need to top it off about 200 miles after doing a oil change but that's problably cause it hadn't settled in every crevice I the engine yet. Mobil 1 has yet to disappoint

Originally Posted By: Paulyfe12
Your right, I guess the whole "Ferrari oil" thing intrigued me as well as the claims. My last names Ferraro, so sue me :p but your right mobil 1 has been good to me ANSI did need to top it off about 200 miles after doing a oil change but that's problably cause it hadn't settled in every crevice I the engine yet. Mobil 1 has yet to disappoint

Well M1 is OEM oil in Porsche, Nissan GT-R, Mercedes AMG, Corvette etc.
If you use Pennzoil 5W40 in those cars it will be fine. If you use M1 in Ferrari, it will be fine.
This M1 API SN is very stable. When I did UOA I had drop of cst from 13.5 to 13.3 in 5K. That is really, really good.
What I did with with my CC:
Got Brembo rotors, EBC pads, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for summer, and Bridgestone Blizzak's for winter.

Last edited:
Most of these "tests" are done with 5w30 as well, which is a completely different application than your Euro oils.

M1 0w40 is a truly amazing oil considering the performance versus the price. You will be hard pressed to find a better oil for your VW at any price point.

Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-40 and 0W-40 motor oil with PurePlus Technology would be great for your VW 2.0t. Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum product is not the same product as the Pennzoil Ultra Euro product – they are two different products that are blended to meet different specifications (with different additive packages). However, they are both blended as synthetic motor oils.

As far as Base Oil Groups: the Group categories are not “ratings,” they are categories based on the API 1509 classification system. For example, Group I means “conventional, solvent refined” base oil (not considered synthetic); Group II means “hydroprocessed/hydrocracked” base oil (not considered synthetic); Group III means “all hydroprocessing/hydrocracking + isomerization” base oil (which is considered synthetic); Group III can also mean “Gas to Liquids (GtL), which is what the Pennzoil Platinum motor oils with PurePlus Technology are made from (immensely simplified, GtL means: “from Natural Gas/Methane to hydrocracker to base oil”)(which is also considered synthetic); Group IV means Poly Alpha Olefin/PAO” base oil (considered synthetic). Group V means “everything else” (like vegetable oil, PAG

The Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum motor oils with PurePlus Technology are both made using the Group III Gas to Liquids base oil, which is a truly “synthesized from natural gas” synthetic base oil. But please remember, today’s PCMO engine oils contain somewhere between 18-23% additives so, you can have the greatest base oil, but if you couple it with a mediocre additive package, you will have a mediocre finished product! This is where our “PurePlus” name derives from: Gas to Liquids “Pure” base oil + the most advanced “Plus” additive package = the most advanced synthetic motor oil on the market today!

Hopefully, some of this info helps Paulyfe12! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum product is not the same product as the Pennzoil Ultra Euro product – they are two different products that are blended to meet different specifications

How so? According to their respective TDS, both Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 and the new Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40 meet the exact same mfg specifications.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Because there is no Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-40.

Yes, I messed up. But it seems that even SOPUS' own employees get lost in all these names...
smile.gif

Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-40 and 0W-40 motor oil with PurePlus Technology would be great for your VW 2.0t.

I think you meant Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40 and 0w-40.

Now for a bonus round: which store can you actually find these at?
grin2.gif

Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-40 and 0W-40 motor oil with PurePlus Technology would be great for your VW 2.0t. Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum product is not the same product as the Pennzoil Ultra Euro product – they are two different products that are blended to meet different specifications (with different additive packages). However, they are both blended as synthetic motor oils.

As far as Base Oil Groups: the Group categories are not “ratings,” they are categories based on the API 1509 classification system. For example, Group I means “conventional, solvent refined” base oil (not considered synthetic); Group II means “hydroprocessed/hydrocracked” base oil (not considered synthetic); Group III means “all hydroprocessing/hydrocracking + isomerization” base oil (which is considered synthetic); Group III can also mean “Gas to Liquids (GtL), which is what the Pennzoil Platinum motor oils with PurePlus Technology are made from (immensely simplified, GtL means: “from Natural Gas/Methane to hydrocracker to base oil”)(which is also considered synthetic); Group IV means Poly Alpha Olefin/PAO” base oil (considered synthetic). Group V means “everything else” (like vegetable oil, PAG

The Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum motor oils with PurePlus Technology are both made using the Group III Gas to Liquids base oil, which is a truly “synthesized from natural gas” synthetic base oil. But please remember, today’s PCMO engine oils contain somewhere between 18-23% additives so, you can have the greatest base oil, but if you couple it with a mediocre additive package, you will have a mediocre finished product! This is where our “PurePlus” name derives from: Gas to Liquids “Pure” base oil + the most advanced “Plus” additive package = the most advanced synthetic motor oil on the market today!

Can anyone ask Pennzoil team where to buy those oils but at competitive price?

M1 0W-40 ..........$26.18
and
EDGE 0W-40 ......$21.66

At Walmart. Meeting same specs and approvals.

Originally Posted By: wemay
M1 0W-40 ..........$26.18
and
EDGE 0W-40 ......$21.66

At Walmart. Meeting same specs and approvals.

I think it depends at which location.
I bought last time M1 for $21.17
Now, both Castrol and M1 are 25.17 at same Wal-Mart.

This is truly awesome, having someone from Shell chiming in. Thank you for the detailed input!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Because there is no Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-40.

Yes, I messed up. But it seems that even SOPUS' own employees get lost in all these names...
smile.gif

Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-40 and 0W-40 motor oil with PurePlus Technology would be great for your VW 2.0t.

I think you meant Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40 and 0w-40.

Now for a bonus round: which store can you actually find these at?
grin2.gif

I don't remember what are all the names and grades of Pennzoil synthetic oils, especially for the xW40 grades.

Mobil did it right for more than 25-30 years, they just named their flagship synthetic oil as Mobil 1. Only lately they added Extended Performance, High Mileage, AFE ... for various grades. But 0W40 is only available with 1 name: Mobil 1.

And, don't confuse Mobil 1 Extended Performance with Mobil 1 ESP (Emission System Protection). The ESP is for Diesel engines with DPF systems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back