Down one whole quart in 2500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Buick LeSabre
Walmart synthetic 10W-30

Washed the car today, so I figured as long as I have the hood up drying off the cowl, I'll check the oil level. To my amazement, it was at the ADD mark on the dipstick. The car has never done that before. Maybe a 1/2 a quart by this time, but never a full quart. The oil was unusually dark too. I don't know what to think.

First time this specific oil has been used? Sometimes, usage can increase temporarily while the additives wrestle with each other (or something to that effect). Any evidence of conincidental new leaks?
Kevin

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
2000 Buick LeSabre
Walmart synthetic 10W-30

Washed the car today, so I figured as long as I have the hood up drying off the cowl, I'll check the oil level. To my amazement, it was at the ADD mark on the dipstick. The car has never done that before. Maybe a 1/2 a quart by this time, but never a full quart. The oil was unusually dark too. I don't know what to think.

I read the title and thought it must be a new subaru but I was wrong...

If you have a high mileage vehicle you may need a HM oil. I used to run conventional in my truck during the summer and synthetic in the winter until recently. About a month and a half ago I put in PP and it started burning a 1/2 qt in 300-400 miles. So last week I changed over to Pennzoil HM and when I checked it today...it was still full. Vehicle has almost 200k miles on it.

Let the superstitions begin!

NOT...... The usual place for oil leaks on the 3800s my family has owned are the oil pressure sender and the oil filter adapter gasket. I'd be checking those first things first.

Any oil dripping by where the filter mounts? That's usually the sign of the above 2 issues.

My olds won't use oil driving around town and expressway, But on the highway at 70-80 it will use 1/2 quart in 2000 miles.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
First time this specific oil has been used? Sometimes, usage can increase temporarily while the additives wrestle with each other (or something to that effect). Any evidence of conincidental new leaks?
Kevin

Yes, first time using this oil. The previous oils were MS5K and Maxlife; neither of which disappeared at such a rapid rate. No oil leaks that I know of. No spots on the garage floor.
21.gif

I've sometimes noticed higher consumption during the first two intervals of using a synthetic.

I have yet to see a technical explanation for it though.

What made you switch away from Maxlife?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
What made you switch away from Maxlife?

I just wanted to try a synthetic because I've never tried one before. I figured I'd start at the bottom of the barrel and work my way up to the name brands if this Walmart synthetic gave me any problems. But in terms of increased fuel mileage and operation smoothness, I hit a home run with the first synthetic I've ever tried. Fuel mileage is up 4/10ths of a mile and the engine runs silky smooth.

How many miles are on your Buick Merk? Is it the 3800 series engine? My gf's Olds 88 (1998 model) seemed to like PYB 10W40 the best (ran rough and loud on M1 10W30,but loved M1 15W50),and that car was my oil ginuea pig haha I tried a bunch of different oils in it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Let the superstitions begin!

NOT...... The usual place for oil leaks on the 3800s my family has owned are the oil pressure sender and the oil filter adapter gasket. I'd be checking those first things first.

Any oil dripping by where the filter mounts? That's usually the sign of the above 2 issues.

That would have to be barely a weep to lose a quart in 2500 miles. I doubt it would even become a drip.

So I'm taking bets here. I think this thread is just another one of Merks boredom threads,and I doubt that there's any problems with the car,he's just fishing to see who will provide the common responses that always appear in these kinds of threads.
Such as consumption is common when first using a new oil and it may take an interval or 2 for stabilization to occur.
Maybe you need a high mileage oil(insert anecdote here)
Was there a lot of high speed driving on this interval?
What about the pcv?
Was the ground level?
Was the engine hot or cold. If hot then yes it's low,if cold then it's possible that the oil isn't low at all since oil expands when hot,and if you fill it to the top when cold it will be over full hot.

Did I miss any.

Engines consume different oils at different rates. I doubt using a low tiered synthetic oil helped any either.

Keep it topped off and finish it up at your original OCI. You've tried ST, but I'd switch back to one that ways working well for you.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How many miles are on your Buick Merk?

119,554 and the oil went in at 117,047 on June 07, 2014. OLM is at 49% presently.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Trouble in paradise. Merkava's beloved Supertech oil is misbehaving. This just can't be.
Beat me to it!

That beauty in its SuperTech shell wasn't all that it was made up to be...

Try some Mobil 1 HM Merk and see what it does, that old Buick may like a HM oil.

LMAO. That's a real shame.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
2000 Buick LeSabre
Walmart synthetic 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back