I don't like working by myself anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My two older kids sometimes like to "help." With just one of them helping, it's nice. My son is more likely to take an interest in what I'm doing, and usually wants to know the how and why. Eventually it turns into playing with something else (bike riding, skateboard, etc.) as they get bored for either of them.

When they both "help" together is when it's not so good. Almost always deteriorates to a typical sibling fight between the two which I have to referee, and then end up sending them back inside to mom.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Am I the only one who does this or do I just need a confidence booster?

My confidence booster is having an extra car around in case I don't get the primary car fixed in time.

Working on the only car late into Sunday night is stressful.

True that.

I will admit I loved finishing houses alone. Time flew by. Just me,my saw,my nailer and the radio.
I used to frame houses by myself. I'd build all my walls then have friends show up to help me stand them all. I put my roofs together on the ground and crane them up.
Then I fell.
3 storeys,slipped on a patch of frost I didn't sweep off well enough. Landed in my garbage pile luckily. However it was still a 2 hour drag to my truck,I don't remember the drive to the hospital because I hit my head pretty hard.
I was building a cottage,and all the locals were gone since it was February in balm beach.
Since then I won't work alone,nor will I allow any of my manpower to do so. An accident can happens to anyone. A light dusting of snow,sawdust,a nail causing a slip. It can happen to anyone,anytime
No job is worth dying for. Money is not worth your life. Especially chump change.
If your prepared to die for a paycheque it better have a whole bunch of zeros at the end of it,so your family can reap the reward if the worst case scenario comes to fruition.

@Clevy that's one heck of an experience. It really makes one think.

I've gotten more cautious with age as I've learned how some injuries are with you forever. I'm not nearly as nonchalant about going on a roof or under a vehicle as I used to be.

Get a dog. Chance the Wonder Dog was a great helper, even though he used to just lie around on the lawn and watch.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

My confidence booster is having an extra car around in case I don't get the primary car fixed in time.

Working on the only car late into Sunday night is stressful.

Happened to me a couples of time as well. Yes, it is always better to have a second car around. Also, when doing new type of DIY jobs it is better to beta test the car for some time (a week or so) before doing the same on a second car
smile.gif

I saw that some people are afraid to work under the car on jack stands. In fact, if you use triple security like in aviation (that is, three jack stands on a corner of the car as well as chocks on wheels) I see no reason why there will be any problem.

I normally work on cars myself since I live in a country where the "can do" spirit is not appreciated. Since I am working in underground parking which is shared with other people of the house (100 cars approx) my neighbors strongly discourage me working on a car and sometimes they threatened to report me to authorities which may fine me or issue an official warning since according to Swiss law the parking place is only for parking, and not for DIY activities.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Get a dog. Chance the Wonder Dog was a great helper, even though he used to just lie around on the lawn and watch.
I miss my dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back