Additives settle out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a silly question, for those with nothing better to do on Black Friday:

When I pour oil out of its container, if it has been on the shelf undisturbed for awhile, there will be some dark colored residue in the bottom of the bottle (I most often use Mobil 1, but I have made this observation with many different oils).

My assumption is that these are additives that tend to be heavy, probably metallic. My "Solution" (Pun intended) is to pour half the bottle in, then invert with the cap on, and agitate to get the stuff back into the mix, before pouring the rest in.

So......Am I correct that these are additives that fall out of solution, or am I just taking pains to include contaminants in the oil in my engines?

I shake up all bottles (rotating them 180* over and over) and then let them sit upside down for a bit before using.

Bring it to Home Depot or Walmart, and have them put on their paint shaker. ;-) just kidding.

I just shake the oil jug before pouring. Pour 1-2 quarts, then shake the jug again (has more room now), then pour again to required level.

I give it a good shake too.
wink.gif

Realistically its only making us sleep better at night though. The world has millions of cars running on "unshaken" oil. Heck, what about bulk tanks at dealers?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I give it a good shake too.
wink.gif

Realistically its only making us sleep better at night though. The world has millions of cars running on "unshaken" oil. Heck, what about bulk tanks at dealers?

Probably a good reason to change oil with a shorter OCI rather than longer.

Lay it on the side the day before your OCI. I too pour some out, close lid, and then shake the rest for a length of a song on the radio.

Treat it like wine, you gotta turn it every new season.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I don't think it's an issue.

www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/April-1-2012.php

Blackstone found a bunch of ancient oil cans, and among various tests, they put one 1968 can in a paint mixer and tested both it and it's mate...no difference

Except... There's no way to tell how much they were agitated during shipping.
My guess, given the state of some of the parcels I receive, is probably more than the paint shaker! ;-)

I rest my oil bottles at 166 degrees for 9 mins 18 seconds before I pour them in.
For every 3 degrees temp drop I increase the angle by 2 degrees but it's critical to maintain that for the same 9m18s.
This is a formula I came up with regardless of oil weight.
It took several pickle chased tequila shots to arrive at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back