Amusing TPMS issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So the Charger parks in front of my garage. My summer tires, with my TPMS sensors in them, are in the garage.

So when I park in the driveway, the car "sees" the wheels and it triggers the TPMS warning when I leave the driveway. It is fine for the rest of the day once the "two cycles" are done and it resets itself. But then that all comes undone once I get home, LOL!

I moved the rims and tires closer to the back of the garage this evening to see if that helps. If it doesn't I think I'll have to put them in the basement.

Well at least it's trying to make sense of it all........

But when vehicles get to the point of getting angry at us for taking their tires off, well then maybe the robots have gotten too smart and are coming after us?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can you pull the batteries from the TPMS?

They are in the valve stems so I think that may be a difficult process.

Other than the 2014 Accord that my daughter bought few months ago, we don't have TPMS in any of my cars.

I truly hate modern nanny thingies in newer vehicles, they should make these nanny thingies as options, not mandatory.

Wrap the tires in tin foil! (Only half joking.)

I recall my EZPass transponder coming with what looked like an esd bag for when I didn't want to use it. Maybe you can find some tire storage bags like that.

Only have to pop one bead I think, if it is like my Toyota, then you can remove the sensor and chuck into a bag. Reinstall in spring.

Easier to store tires in the basement tho if you don't have a bead breaker.

Originally Posted By: supton
Wrap the tires in tin foil! (Only half joking.)

Was actually thinking the same thing.
smile.gif

LOL. How much of a chore is it moving them down a flight of stairs .

I hate taking the wheels off our suv when we swap to gummy bear shoes...Old age has sunken in.

Good to know....when I EVENTUALLY get my winter tires on I'm probably going to have the same issue as my parking situation mirrors yours...

Didn't you have your rims and tires put on at the dealer? They didn't give you any grief over no sensors?

Put on? No. I put them on in the driveway. They did however mount and balance (they have a RoadForce balance machine) them for me and were aware that the car had TPMS. I advised them I did the "winter tire" software update and they just said "OK" and had no problem with not doing sensors.

I experienced this too last night. I drove home from the tire shop and I was wondering why my TPMS light was off. It's because the all-season tires and wheels were in my back seat and trunk. I set my tires on the side of the house as it was night time and I was going to store them in the shed in daylight. Sure enough in my driveway the TPMS light is off and once I get far away enough the light comes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back