going back to green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my '95 ford F150 sprung a leak in the heater core.

of course this will involve draining the coolant.
I bought the vehicle new and since the first radiator flush I've always used prestone long-life coolant (orange).

would there be a problem in going back to the original green (zerex) coolant at this point?

I have a '96 bronco that the original owner always used the original green in it since new.

would there be any negative results in going back to green in the '95?

I just want to use the same type of coolant in both vehicles.

thanks.

There's no problem going back to green coolant, but you don't get every single drop of Dex-Cool out of there, you'll wind up with brown coolant.

Make sure to do plenty of drains and fills, and even consider stuffing the hosepipe into a coolant hose near the bottom of the engine and take the cap of the radiator/expansion tank.

Make sure it's *clean* before you change unless you like the brown goop.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's no problem going back to green coolant, but you don't get every single drop of Dex-Cool out of there, you'll wind up with brown coolant.

+1

Dex type coolants are fine, and while green is obsolete and has issues, can work if maintained.

Either will serve if serviced properly. But Id make sure that they are not mixed, and prevent any sort of left-behing coolant if you change back.

No need to drain the coolant.the heater fittings are the highest point in the cooling system.

BTW that's the easiest heater job ever!does this truck have a copper heater? If it does they dont play well with long life coolants. If it already has an aluminum one look for black spots in the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back