Having a gun on you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
If you are going to any location at a time when you think you may need a gun (example - high crime area at 2am), then the rational thing to actually do is to not go there....

Exactly. Don't go somewhere armed that you would not go unarmed.

Because crime only happens in "bad areas."
smirk.gif

If you are going to any location at a time when you think you may need a gun (example - high crime area at 2am), then the rational thing to actually do is to not go there. For the average citizen if there is any situation that possibly warrants bringing a gun and potentially using lethal force to defend yourself, you need to not go there or get into that situation. If your instructor did not drill this concept into your heads in your CC class you got ripped off. Folks that have some decent training and CC everyday go to great pains to avoid being in any places or situations where they might actually need to use the weapon. It seems counter intuitive but having a gun means you need to be more vigilant to remove yourself from escalations of any possible argument/conflict or certainly any dangerous situation. Carrying a gun either OC or CC does not make you a cop, or an enforcer of other people's behavior, and it certainly should not make you "brave".

Only an idiot thinks that having a gun on you should make you "brave".

But your logic of, "it's risky so don't go there" presumes that you can know in advance when it's going to be risky.

If I knew when I was going to be assaulted, or robbed, or my life threatened, then I would just "avoid going there".

But like a car accident, sometimes, circumstances and events are beyond your control. So, you wear your seatbelt all the time, not just when it's "risky" to drive.

All the time.

If you're not prepared, then you're not prepared, whether we're talking about people who intend to do you harm with a car, or through crime aimed at you.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
If you are going to any location at a time when you think you may need a gun (example - high crime area at 2am), then the rational thing to actually do is to not go there. For the average citizen if there is any situation that possibly warrants bringing a gun and potentially using lethal force to defend yourself, you need to not go there or get into that situation. If your instructor did not drill this concept into your heads in your CC class you got ripped off. Folks that have some decent training and CC everyday go to great pains to avoid being in any places or situations where they might actually need to use the weapon. It seems counter intuitive but having a gun means you need to be more vigilant to remove yourself from escalations of any possible argument/conflict or certainly any dangerous situation. Carrying a gun either OC or CC does not make you a cop, or an enforcer of other people's behavior, and it certainly should not make you "brave".

Only an idiot thinks that having a gun on you should make you "brave".

But your logic of, "it's risky so don't go there" presumes that you can know in advance when it's going to be risky.

If I knew when I was going to be assaulted, or robbed, or my life threatened, then I would just "avoid going there".

But like a car accident, sometimes, circumstances and events are beyond your control. So, you wear your seatbelt all the time, not just when it's "risky" to drive.

All the time.

If you're not prepared, then you're not prepared, whether we're talking about people who intend to do you harm with a car, or through crime aimed at you.

Lots of idiots out there that are gun brave - they are in fact a dime a dozen.

I thought my post could not be more clear but let me attempt to make it butt simple - When you can reasonably predict you may be in a dangerous or volatile situation you should not be carrying a weapon into it. The CC permit, training, and regular every day carry of a weapon is for when trouble unexpectedly finds you. If you knowingly bring a weapon and go into a situation that you knew could escalate into armed and potentially deadly conflict you better have some very good (and expensive) lawyers.

Last edited:
Car insurance is for people who are absolutely convinced that they are going to get into a horrible wreck. Home insurance is for people who expect their home to burn down at any moment. Life insurance is for people who expect to keel over and die. Health insurance is for suckers who think they're going to get sick. etc.

I thought my post could not be more clear but let me attempt to make it butt simple - When you can reasonably predict you may be in a dangerous or volatile situation you should not be carrying a weapon into it. The CC permit, training, and regular every day carry of a weapon is for when trouble unexpectedly finds you. If you knowingly bring a weapon and go into a situation that you knew could escalate into armed and potentially deadly conflict you better have some very good (and expensive) lawyers.

Your earlier post wasn't as clear as, perhaps, you intended. I certainly took it to mean something different than you articulated above.

What you said above makes perfect sense: don't go looking for trouble.

I completely agree.

I carry in an official capacity...for which I received quite a bit of training, including the responsibilities surrounding the use of lethal force...

Originally Posted By: hatt

I guess you guys have never heard of a crook shooting/executing someone after the person complied and gave them whatever they wanted? I'll take my chances in a shootout vs being at the mercy of some thug. Going to be a lot harder for the perp to put a bullet in my skull with all the noise, flash, and flying lead.

thumbsup2.gif

I feel the same way. I am not going down without a fight.

I carry in an official capacity...for which I received quite a bit of training, including the responsibilities surrounding the use of lethal force...

Can all United states pilots carry? Or only certain airlines? Or is it only Air Marshals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Can all United states pilots carry? Or only certain airlines? Or is it only Air Marshals?

Very likely a question that you are not going to get an answer for on a public forum...certainly not by someone that knows the actual details. I know some limited info at least from a couple of years ago from a retired pilot friend but not comfortable sharing.

Last edited:

Only caveat about what's in red is that if you have to go somewhere that you know is risky, then IMO it's best to bring protection. It's the decision on when to use it or not that's important. Just because you have a gun on you doesn't mean you have to automatically use it - you have to be trained and know exactly when to use it or not.

Why would you go someplace you know is risky and leave your protection at home just because you don't want to be put into a situation where you might have to use it to save your life. That's why most people have a CPW and carry in the first place.

Car insurance is to protect other people from another driver's negligence. Home insurance is to protect the homeowner from unexpected catastrophic incidents (ever heard of floods,chimney fires, electrical shorts ?).Life insurance is to provide funds to pay for your final expenses so as not to be a burden on surviving family members. Health insurance is to cover expenses of catastrophic illness..who should pay those medical bills, the government ?
D**n ! I let your ignorant posts suck me in to a response. Sorry, hope I didn't upset your date with Lena.....

You certainly have a valid point in terms of when you need a gun it is better to have one. So it is not a strictly black or white issue. In an ideal world a person would not knowingly put themselves into a potentially risky situation where they are thinking they might actually need a gun to defend their life. If I think a place or situation that possible might require me to use my weapon there is no way I am going there under any circumstances.

I have CC and EDC for several years and purposely stay FAR away from any potentially risky or dangerous situations that are even remotely predictable. But I do carry most every day in my normal activities and day to day life.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Car insurance is for people who are absolutely convinced that they are going to get into a horrible wreck. Home insurance is for people who expect their home to burn down at any moment. Life insurance is for people who expect to keel over and die. Health insurance is for suckers who think they're going to get sick. etc.

DUH, car insurance is required in Ohio. Home insurance is required by your mortgage lender. If you don't have health insurance and you get really ill you will probably lose your house and car from bankruptcy and the resulting foreclosure.

Finally, if you are responsible you will maintain life insurance to take care of the needs of your loved ones in the event of your death.

Remember: Over 90% of people who find they need to utilize these insurances didn't think so when they rolled out of bed the very morning of the day they needed them.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
If you don't have health insurance and you get really ill you will probably lose your house and car from bankruptcy and the resulting foreclosure.

Not true. At least not in Indiana.

Depends on the type of Bankruptcy you file for. Chapter 11 in my state only allows you a very small amount of assets. For instance since this is a gun forum...you are allowed ONE shotgun and ONE rifle of any value, but you cannot keep a pistol.

I carry concealed 99.9% of the time, usually my Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum, loaded with either Speer Gold Dot 125 JHP's or the classic Federal C357B 125 JHP's. The only time I will open carry is either when I mow my lawn for the first time of the season (never know what's settled down in my lawn over the winter and I want them to be aware that my premises are WELL protected
smile.gif
), or if I'm east of the mountains and I'm carrying my GP100 .357 Magnum loaded with shotshells to put the serpentine critters to sleep.

Open carry removes the element of surprise.

That said, I do support those that choose open carry even though it is not my cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back