Torn between tool brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mostly Snap-On, Some Mac, S-K, Proto, OTC, Martin, Thorsen, Williams & Cornwell, Maybe 4 or 5 Matco tools.

Mac has some good tools, But I don't see the brand lasting. I know 2 Mac franchise owners who have jumped ship to other brands.

The Matco guy that runs the route in my area is a shady [censored], I have seen him take advantage of young technicians by charging over list price.

Cornwell has some really good stuff as well. Most of my 1/2 impact sockets are Cornwell, I have yet to break one in over 20 years. Their Chrome plated anything sucks, The plating will flack off (I have a 13/16"-1" stubby wrench set that are plain steel now!) The Snap-On 7/16"-3/4" stubbies that complete the set & 10 years older still look new.

Snap-On are some of the best hand tools made, And you pay accordingly.
Their air tools are way overpriced (IR & AirCat are just as good or better)
Their Cordless stuff is impressive, But again not worth the cost.

Snap-On has really lost their way in Diagnostic Equipment(Scan Tools) The "Brick" MT2500 was a fantastic Scanner..Paired with a Vantage Scope made you unstoppable, At least at the time!

The Solus, Modis, & Versus/Verdict are JUNK, The young techs seem to like them....I think it is because they can check their Facebook while the Scanner loads different menu's/data list. Even then the Data & Bi-Directional controls (Software) has Holes in it. When you can't get simple things like a RPM reading on a '05 Cobalt out of a Verdit that cost about $8,000...Something is amiss!

Good luck on your projected career path.

20 year old Snap on and Craftsman when they were Made in the USA. I still have em and they work well. The Snap Ons work like the day I got them. I had to buy some sockets and a torque wrench. I bought SK sockets and a CDI torque wrench because they were made in the USA. I'm just a weekend warrior home mechanic but since you're going to make a living wrenching, I'd go with Snap on, MATCO or Mac Tools. You can write off your purchases on your taxes.

Last edited:
Ebay is a great place to buy tools. Snap on sockets & wrenches. Snap on ratchets. Matco swivel impact sockets. IR & aircat air tools. Knipex pliers

Sounds like I don't know jack about tools. I just threw out the name "Husky" because I had heard it. Might be one of the super-cheap chain parts store names. Nevermind.

I am pleased to read of Snap-On's quality. Though, I did have to wonder why a shop insisted on using that $8000 Ventis or whatever it is called.. when I can clear a code with a $50 or so scanner.

My own personal tools from back in my consumer vehicle repair days, are almost all Snap-on. With a few odd Craftsman and SK tools.

Working in Professional Dragracing, I've used whatever the team supplied. Which has mostly been Snap-on, with Matco and Mac also represented. Generally, I prefer the Snap-on tools.

I Don't know how difficult it is to find in the US. But Facom, Hazet and gedore are all much cheaper then snap-on.at least where I live.and just as good. And in my opinion better for some tools. It is however 10 years since I had snap-on.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Sounds like I don't know jack about tools. I just threw out the name "Husky" because I had heard it. Might be one of the super-cheap chain parts store names. Nevermind.

I am pleased to read of Snap-On's quality. Though, I did have to wonder why a shop insisted on using that $8000 Ventis or whatever it is called.. when I can clear a code with a $50 or so scanner.
Husky is Home Depot's brand. There was a time when Husky was just relabled Craftsman (when they were still made in the USA), but I don't know if that's still true. Agree with some of the others here, S&K is one of the most underrated and undermarketed brands out there. They make good stuff.

clearing a code does not fix the problem. Plus the expensive scan tool will allow the user to turn on fans,move blend doors,reprogram ecm's etc. You simply can't do some repairs without the correct tool.

I'm guessing that your school has a list of required tools that you have to buy?

Do you know where you will be working? If you do try to find out which tool truck is the most reliable/nicest guy, it is a bummer to have a tool box full of brand XXXXXXXX only to find out brand XXXXXXXX tool truck either doesn't come, doesn't come reliably, or is driven a horses hind end.

If not, in my experience Snap-On is best bet for reliable tool truck/guy.

As far as the tools themselves I would say any of the 3 you've listed will get the job done. Snap-On ratchets are by far the nicest though.

Remember too that tool boxes don't make you money, tools do, so until you've done most jobs that come into the shop without the need to borrow something or wishing you had something... skimp on the box...

You will find few professional mechanics (of technicians if you prefer) using anything other than the 3 you listed, at least on a regular basis; there are many reasons for that, but one of those reasons is that there is a HUGE difference in what is serviceable for a hobbiest (even a serious one) and what is serviceable for near constant use 5-6 days a week.

I have just about every brand in my box. A mix of high end and all the way down to harbor freight. You dont need big dollar name brand stuff for everything you do.

Some things like wrenches and screwdrivers are much better with Snap on versus a cheap set. Not just the looks but the feel in your hand and the fit on the part make some things worth buying when you are making a living using them. Dont underestimate the way a tool fits in your hand. If it fits well and has smooth edges, then you wont beat your hands up as much. Your hands wont notice this until 20 years into it though.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Hey all, Happy Thanksgiving and hope all of you are staying warm and safe. Anyway, I am a freshman currently in a Diesel Technology program, where I am becoming a diesel mechanic. By August of next year my savings will be more or less drained by tools. Luckily, I get 50% off of tools through the school from either Snap On, Matco, or Mac tools. Between the 3, are any of them any better then the others? Matco runs around $1,700 for the whole set, while Snap On is $2,700. I haven't received Mac prices yet, Thanks guys!

I dont have an answer for you but just want to say good luck in your new career. That you are a member of this site I think is very positive!

Basically you can't go wrong with Snap-on; although I have a mixture of tool brands because one brand may have a specific type of tool that I prefer over the other brand's offering.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I have just about every brand in my box. A mix of high end and all the way down to harbor freight. You dont need big dollar name brand stuff for everything you do.

A worthy reminder.

Originally Posted By: morepwr

Some things like wrenches and screwdrivers are much better with Snap on versus a cheap set..

I won't buy anything else but Snap-On for # 2 Phillips.

When I got out of WyoTech back in '92 I was thinking about the same things you are. I had a guy that was already a master tech give me a reality check that I'm glad I got.

Don't plan on tons of debt for tools right out of school. I bought a Craftsman top and bottom box that I still use today. It's full of tools in my garage. For $1100 it holds tools just as well as any Snap On or Matco box for a quarter or less of some box off the truck.

If I was doing it again right now I'd buy a General Pro box from Harbor Freight. I've gone and looked at these and they're built very well, better than the Craftsman boxes, and for less money. I even know a few guys that sold their one Snap on box and got two of these.
http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storag...inet-61656.html

OR

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storag...inet-67681.html

I actually plan on picking up the 72 in. box after the first of the year. Or, next time it's on sale.

As far as the tools themselves go, think of it this way. Chances are you'll want a set of tools at home as well as at work. But there's no reason to have really expensive stuff at home. There's no reason to rack up 3k in tool debt off a truck at you first job. I've seen guys get out of school, go into 10k debt for a box and a bunch of tools only to realize that working as a tech for a career is not what they though it would be. You don't want to realize this and still have a ton of stuff to pay for. Make a list of the tools you would need to get yourself going and look around for deals. Or buy some cheaper stuff to get you working, then as you make money buy some of the nicer and more specialized stuff. As you do that take the starter tools home to build the tool chest at home.

Also, since you'll be straight out of school there's a good chance that whoever hires you will kind of pair you with a tech that's been there a while and knows his stuff. Kind of like being an apprentice, but doing your own work and he'll keep an eye on you and maybe check your work once in a while. If you're a nice guy, show that you're a hard worker, and are willing to learn from him, there's a good chance he'll let you use some of the more expensive and specialized tools that he already has. If you can get with a guy that will do this. Make sure he knows you respect the fact that you're using some of his stuff.

Ask to use it, treat it well, clean it off, put it right back where it was, and let him know it's back where it goes. If you do this you'll gain an invaluable trust with the guy.

Working with someone like this can be invaluable.
- It saves you the money of having to dish out all the cash for these tools up front.
- You get a real world learning experience from someone that probably knows the shortcuts, as well as how a shop environment works, including all the politcal [censored] that goes down in a book time shop, and how to play the game.

Thus,

you'll get in the groove quicker, learn quicker, make more money quicker, which will let you accumulate you're own specialty tools quicker, and keep you from crippling debt to do it.

I think I covered everything I wanted to.

One more thing that I'm going to recommend: Get some insurance on your tools. There was an implement dealer near me (they sell farm tractors, combines, ag equipment, etc.) that burned to the ground a few months ago. The business was 100% totaled. Some of the techs that worked there had close to $50K-$60K of personal tools in the shop that went up in smoke and they didn't have any insurance on their property. Now some of the wrenches weren't hurt. But all electronic equipment was ruined. The screwdrivers had the handles burned off. Anything like a hammer or the like with a wood, fiberglass or "grippy gel" type of handle was ruined. Your "lifetime warranty" won't be in effect. The dealer won't stand behind the loss and your mobile tool man will simply salivate at the chance to sell you some replacement tools. All of that can be avoided if you have the proper insurance policy.

The Verdict Scanner that I was referring to is owned by a co-worker of mine, He was diagnosing a no-start on a Cobalt with No Codes stored in the ECM, No Spark, No Injector Pulse. So a "Code Reader" would have not helped.

He asked for my help, I asked him if it was getting an RPM reading while cranking, He nor I could find it on the Data List. I went and got my MT2500 that everyone likes to make fun of....And found no RPM signal present. Possible Crank Sensor or Sensor wiring. A crank sensor fixed it.

I have more invested in my Snap-On MT2500, Vantage Scope, & GM Tech 2 than $8000, So Im not knocking him for the investment, Im knocking Snap-On for their poor software & looooong load times.

shDK Facom said:
I have a lot of Hazet, Stahlwille and Facom tools, certainly better than Snap-on and on par with my early SK stuff. Facom are a bargain, I don't know if it was an exchange rate thing, but 10 years ago when I was replacing some tools with Facom, they were 1/4 the price of Snap-on and better. Some Snap-on stuff I don't like - I have a 1/4 drive Snap-on ratchet that lives in my motorcycle tool kit and gets used at home, I don't like it for work, and my work 1/4 drive ratchet is a plastic Teng, gets used everyday and I love it.

In NZ we used to get an untaxable tool allowance, so every week you got money to buy tools. That seemed to disappear when unions lost their power, but where I work now the boss sets aside a separate account for tool money...I get less in the hand, but get to let it build up and buy tools I need. $12 a week I think.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I have a lot of Hazet, Stahlwille and Facom tools, certainly better than Snap-on and on par with my early SK stuff.

I'm gonna to ask for a detailed explanation on that one:

Hazet, Stahlwille, and Facom are better than Snap-on in what way?

Snap On sockets are over priced. You can get comparable quality buying Williams (made in USA ones), SK, Wright Tools, or made in USA Craftsman for your sockets. Get your impact sockets from Harbor Freight's Pittsburgh Pro line. They have a lifetime warranty and are good quality and about 15 times cheaper than Snap On.

Ratchets make a difference so buy the line of ratchets that you like. After sale support is important and remember that the tool trucks don't service a lot of areas, so that could be a factor.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Silk
I have a lot of Hazet, Stahlwille and Facom tools, certainly better than Snap-on and on par with my early SK stuff.

I'm gonna to ask for a detailed explanation on that one:

Hazet, Stahlwille, and Facom are better than Snap-on in what way?

I'm guessing he likes the ergonomics of those tools over Snap-On, Like you preferring Cornwell ratchets over Snap-on's.....Nothing wrong with that at all.

I have never broken a Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell or any other quality hand tool unless I was ABUSING it. Except for T40 Torx drivers, I can break ANY tool companies T40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back