MOS2 for HEUI Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
within spec the last they were tested,
Hard starting for powerstrokes is a known thing especially on 6.0 and to a lesser on the 7.3. But REV X or MOS2 do make a big difference on cold starting.

I didn't see it, but have you checked the condition of your glow plugs by OHMing them out? You shouldn't have to cycle twice to get it to start well in cold weather. You are right in that our systems are highly dependent on oil to run well and the injectors to work at an optimum level. I just posted a thread on this very thing a few days ago. My truck starts in 10* weather without issues while waiting 10 seconds for the GPs to heat up the cylinders. If your relay is good, your GPS might be worn or needing to be replaced.

I don't normally cycle twice nor need to. I did on the morning of -4F because I thought it might be needed. I don't know if it was needed or not because it fired right off.

The HEUIs can develop stiction in the injectors on a cold start. This is where REV X and MOS2 seem to really help in that all the injectors activate and fire immediately and at the same time because they are prelubed by the coating. Stiction in an injector can cause delayed ignition and then some romping after it starts.

The electrical system and the oil-fired injection system both need to work well for a smooth start and a smooth idle on a zero morning when the truck is not plugged in.

Again I know the benefits of MOS2 for this ... just wondering if there might be any downsides of running it with HDEO. It would just be thru the winter. The spring oil change could flush out any potentially remaining residue.

Last edited:
The truck runs good on the Plus 50 but the oil doesn't completely address pre-lubing the injectors. One bottle of MOS2 made a difference in starting and quieting the overall motor. I got my best mileage run over with this combo--22.5 MPG.

I have a fondness for Schaeffer oils in this regard. Healthy dose of moly in their oils and their own proprietary anti friction stuff. I think it is called Penetro, if memory serves. I use a 15w40 synthetic blend HDEO (25% PAO and 75% Group II+) for most of my needs. Just got an order in at around $18.50 a gallon. Their 10w30 version is the same price. Cold weather is not a concern. I use oil pan heaters on my stuff so the 15w40 works fine for me. They also have full synthetic HDEO's also. I think it is something like a 25% PAO and 75% Group III, but I am not positive on that. I think it is a couple of dollars more per gallon than the blend stuff I use.

They also have an additive they sell which is also the same moly and penetro combination they put in their oils.

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
I don't normally cycle twice nor need to. I did on the morning of -4F because I thought it might be needed. I don't know if it was needed or not because it fired right off.

The HEUIs can develop stiction in the injectors on a cold start. This is where REV X and MOS2 seem to really help in that all the injectors activate and fire immediately and at the same time because they are prelubed by the coating. Stiction in an injector can cause delayed ignition and then some romping after it starts.

The electrical system and the oil-fired injection system both need to work well for a smooth start and a smooth idle on a zero morning when the truck is not plugged in.

Again I know the benefits of MOS2 for this ... just wondering if there might be any downsides of running it with HDEO. It would just be thru the winter. The spring oil change could flush out any potentially remaining residue.

No downside running mos2 with an hdeo. I'm doing it in my Harley with rotella. Not apples to apples though.

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
The truck runs good on the Plus 50 but the oil doesn't completely address pre-lubing the injectors. One bottle of MOS2 made a difference in starting and quieting the overall motor. I got my best mileage run over with this combo--22.5 MPG.

Now that is definitely interesting.

What was consumtion like prior to using mos2?

Greetings, another data point for those interested...

Based on things I'd passed along from reading threads here at BITOG, and David Newton in particular, my brother (lives in southern IN) decided he wanted to give a 30 weight a try in his '97 7.3L HEUI. He ended up getting some M1 5W30.

He said couldn't believe the difference it made. Never had he (or I, fwiw) ever noticed a difference in engine performance from oil. Short of an OCI to get hard numbers, choosing an oil always seemed more a theoretical exercise. After switching to the 5W30, cold starting went from a long, painful process, virtually identical to what the OP states, to just another normal thing.

After the engine did start, it used to idle terribly. It acted like it was missing, and had no power for many minutes until it warmed up. He was dreading having to buy new glow plugs, or just leaving it parked until spring. Now, with the 5W30, it starts right up and idles fine. He said it's a night and day difference. There's no question now that the glow plugs are fine.

Cheers.

Dont overlook the intake heater. This should have glow plugs as well as an intake heater as most DT444's have of this era.

Quote:
What was consumtion like prior to using mos2?

Oil consumption is virtually non-existent on a 5k run. Most times I don't have much more on truck than that when I change the oil for time.

When I first got the truck it was mechanically sound -- but the wife would say the motor just roars and your not even going anywhere fast. The injectors were really loud on a cold start also. A custom tune made it go and now its no longer near as loud either as it used to be. A number of short OCIs and some REV X to clean up the motor followed by using oil with moly has really quieted down the motor and the injectors so you can hear the exhaust (dynomax muffler) and the intake (dual ports into the air box) when accelerating, along with the engine. I get a lot of comments from people on the smoothness of the motor and the good exhaust sound.

I'm convinced that the injectors in Heui motors really benefit from organic moly in the oil as well some MOS2 in the winter. I would think MOS2 would also be good for the turbo so you have lubrication in the shaft immediately upon start up.

I did this same drill with a Jeep Liberty CRD and it really quieted down and started much easier and eliminated their typical "clatter". When I got the CRD if you were in the back seat you could hardly hear someone talking in the front seat when on the highway. After cleaning the motor in the same way and running moly you could hardly tell it was a diesel when cruising on the highway.

In the winter I do plug the truck in at home for engine longevity, but most places you go during the day or when on a hunting trip, don't allow you the plug-in luxury.In cold weather a quick smooth start extends the life of the batteries, starter, and injectors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back