New F150 specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boomer
And Ford just announced that these trucks with all the aluminum are just rated to get a measly 2 mpg more than their older steel counterparts. The PU champ still is the new Ram 6 cylinder diesel.

As long as you don't plan on using to carry stuff sure. 859 pounds, 4 guys and a golf bag. Have to take another truck to bring the other 3 golf bags I guess.

And Ford just announced that these trucks with all the aluminum are just rated to get a measly 2 mpg more than their older steel counterparts. The PU champ still is the new Ram 6 cylinder diesel.

I'd take 2MPG - every little bit helps.

And I don't see how Diesel is competitive. Higher cost to buy, higher maintenance costs, and higher fuel costs....

At the Sheetz near me:
Regular: 2.839
Diesel: 3.449

Is there a 17.6% fuel economy increase for a similarly equipped Diesel?

Last edited:
I get the rated MPG on my silverado which is 15/19. A three MPG bump would save me roughly $7k in fuel costs over the projected 200k lifespan of the vehicle.

On a $35k truck that's 1/4 of its purchase price.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

As long as you don't plan on using to carry stuff sure. 859 pounds, 4 guys and a golf bag. Have to take another truck to bring the other 3 golf bags I guess.

Nitpicking @ best; it is a class leader in the 4/9 ton class of PUs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

How is it nitpicking?

It's a fact Ram 1500 payloads are the bottom of the class. As is the towing capacity (related to payload).

Fuel economy is finally on par with the competition thanks to the 8 speed. Diesel helps but at a significant cost in purchase price as well as maintenance. Diesel is more expensive than gasoline in most markets.

Power levels are in line with the others.

Reliability is bottom of the pack.

So how exactly is the Ram 1500 class leader? On paper it's an average at best and below the bar at the worst.

Last edited:
I get the rated MPG on my silverado which is 15/19. A three MPG bump would save me roughly $7k in fuel costs over the projected 200k lifespan of the vehicle.

On a $35k truck that's 1/4 of its purchase price.

1/5 or 20%

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
went to england.
no pickup up trucks, they have 18 wheelers, box trucks, step vans, no pickups like we have

how do the trades do trade work?

I'd assume they use vans, rather than pickups.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
went to england.
no pickup up trucks, they have 18 wheelers, box trucks, step vans, no pickups like we have

how do the trades do trade work?

Vans.
The Ford Transit has been the Work Horse of England for almost half a Century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit

They also have had Van Versions of Small Sedans for a long time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Courier#Europe_.281991.E2.80.932002.29

The Transit Connect, based on the Focus, Built in Turkey, Sold across Europe for several years before coming to US Shores.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit_Connect

The New RAM ProMaster Vans we are now getting were originally Fiat Ducato's, built in Mexico, and we get the only version of it with a Gasoline engine (3.6l Pentastar V-6) everywhere else a Ducato variant is Sold, the only available engines are 4cyl Diesel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

They also are coming out with a smaller van, the RAM ProMaster City (response to the transit connect), which is a Fiat Doblo`
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Doblo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Doblo#Ram_ProMaster_City_.282015-.29

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Well since you guys like to bring up little [censored]. How is a 2,100 pound payload capacity vs an 800 and some change nitpicking? Are you a Ram/Fiat engineer and know something the general public does not? Can I legally carry 1 ton in the new Ram Eco diesels?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sopususer
What fuel savings you may rack up may be eaten up by higher insurance and repair costs for body repairs to aluminum. I agree the f150 is super important to Ford and that they more than likely have over engineered the aluminum body, but just the same I think I'll let someone else test it out for a couple model years before I'd consider it. Also the ecoboost engines have a history of "overpromise/underperform" on gas mileage. It will be interesting to see what real world economy is for the early adopters.

Havent Grumman trucks and other such things been aluminum for ages????

Did people gripe when tractor trailers went to lightweight materials?

Originally Posted By: CT8
What exactly is military grade aluminum. Semi trucks have had aluminum bodies for years .It is really not new technology.

it was Ford's wording in an article i read a while back.

Doing a Search I also Found this in an Autoblog article:
"Ford is quick to point out that many military vehicles, such as the HMMWV and Bradley Fighting Vehicle, use a very similar sort of aluminum alloy in their construction."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2015-ford-f-150-detroit-2014/

and they've been toying with aluminum panels for a while now anyway. The Hoods on both My Sister's 2005 Freestyle, and my Brother's 2006 Mustang GT are Aluminum.

I don't really remember, was there as big a stink raised when they started switching Engines to Aluminum?

Last edited:
I don't see how aluminum bodies will affect insurance rates. If it's too expensive to repair the truck, the insurance company will simply total it out and not fix it. Aluminum bodies might mean the truck is more likely to get totaled out, but it isn't going to make rates go up.

Makes me wonder how my 1500 Sport model 2014 Ram is rated to carry 1875 pounds and tows 10,500.

Rides better than our car, drives like a champ and returns 18 mpg with my lead footed Wife driving. Driving dynamics are so car like you could forget you are in a truck!

Outrageously better price also, just a tick over 40k LOADED with options and features. The Ford I looked at was 15k more and drove like a 70's pickup would, all jittery and shaky. I felt no "quality" there at all.

Those Rams! Why would anyone buy one?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Makes me wonder how my 1500 Sport model 2014 Ram is rated to carry 1875 pounds and tows 10,500.

Rides better than our car, drives like a champ and returns 18 mpg with my lead footed Wife driving. Driving dynamics are so car like you could forget you are in a truck!

Outrageously better price also, just a tick over 40k LOADED with options and features. The Ford I looked at was 15k more and drove like a 70's pickup would, all jittery and shaky. I felt no "quality" there at all.

If your Ram drives "better" than your car, time to reevaluate
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

He was talking about he Ecodiesel which does have very low payloads.
http://www.dieselramforum.com/forum/2014...oad-rating.html

2cdc2h5.jpg

Pretty much every review mentions how low it is. The Ram payloads are lower than the rest of the pack. According to ram trucks.com the highest 1500 payload is 1,900 lbs. Ford and GM offer over 2,000 lbs as max payloads.

Quote:

Still trying to figure that out. They sure look purdy though. And when they are cheap they will sell.

Last edited:
Let's also stipulate that the online "payloads" on the manufacturer websites have for years been manipulated to show inflated payload numbers by only showing numbers for the stripper model with no options. You can only trust the numbers that are on the actual truck that you are looking at by looking at the sticker on the door jam.

You can get a Ram with a decent payload, as SteveSRT8 pointed out. But you aren't going to do it with the Ecodiesel, which was pointed to as the mileage champ (and it is). There are tradeoffs to get that bragging right - in the form of payload, higher initial purchase price, etc...

Given my 2004 F150 with the 5.4 routinely only delivers 14 MPG on average, a 2 MPG increase would actually feel awfully significant to this owner. That being said, we are getting our money's worth out of this one before we go newer, and the recent drop in fuel prices is helping that decision...

Steve's would be an example of one with decent payload. It's about the same as my F150. But with Ford and Chevy/GMC you can extend that our even further to over 2000lbs in an actual truck) with the HD Payload and Max Tow options. Ram offers no such beast.

Before doing Diesel in both cars and trucks, you must run the #'s. Around here Diesel is considerably more expensive at all times of the year. Combine that with the high initial cost and possible higher maintenance expense that high mileage may just be more expensive long term than a gas vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back